“Good hotel”

Malmaison Birmingham
Ranked #22 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed on the Sunday stopover deal, £25 for room and £75 you need to spend in bar and restaurant. Good deal if you watch the spends but very easy to go over. The steak is £30 and that doesn't include any sides or sauce - your credit soon goes! Hotel great location. Always great quality rooms, beds and warm. Short walk into town and train station. Bar ok. Would recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Stephen W, General Manager at Malmaison Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Vicky,
This is a great ‘Mal’ offer as you can eat, drink and sleep at a reasonable price, however appreciate your feedback. Glad our rooms provide you a nice and enjoyable stay.
Look forward to seeing you soon

There are newer reviews for Malmaison Birmingham

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Where do I start.....
Check- in very slow...
Room very dark with tired looking furniture ( we had been upgraded from basic!). Very little natural light & air conditioning kept the room at sub zero temperature ( despite turning it off numerous times)
Bathroom just ok, not illuminated well at all ( great if you like doing your makeup in candle light)
Hotel corridors shabby & carpets needed hoovering... Lifts were a disgrace.
Dinner was nothing special... Cauliflower soup starter served in a cup & saucer was less than elegant & the champagne sorbet was crushed ice.... Service was slower than snail pace & our 9pm reservation concluded with dessert being served at midnight!
We moved to the bar with the hope of enhancing our evening.... Even more disappointment.... Cold with zero ambiance, uncomfortable furniture and again, poor service
One of the lowest points on this colourful evening was my visit to the ladies room where just outside the door by the shabby sofas a party reveller had vomited & no one had cleaned up the mess!
Never again!!!!!!!!
Every year we go to Cielo.... Impeccable service, exquisite food & relaxing ambiance....& we chose Malmaison instead... We must be deluded!!!

Room Tip: Room Tip..... Stay at the Hyatt Hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SS662014

We wish to contact you personally to discuss your visit with us. Please can you send through your contact details to: dgm.birmingham@malmaison.com

Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is a smart city in a good part of town for restaurants and a reasonable walk to other attractions. The rooms are nice, the breakfast is good but what really makes the difference are the excellent staff. They really went out of their way to make our stay excellent. The only downside is the puritanical cancellation policy

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Good Evening,
My staff are so pleased they provided you with great service that made your stay so special and memorable for all the right reasons. Our location is perfect for a city break away and provides convenience to our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We booked this when we booked the Christmas party from our office. It was £100 with a 15% discount for the very expensive mailbox car park which made the parking reasonable
The check in was quick and easy although we had to leave a £50 deposit because we used a debit card
The room was lovely, a good size, very clean and comfortable. The bathroom is very nice and the toiletries are lovely. The snacks etc are expensive but there is a Tesco Express in the mailbox so just stock up there
The Christmas Party was good too although the food was typical mass Christmas catering but the music was good - the drinks were different prices at different bars though?
Breakfast was included and was really good - a large choice and fresh; we really enjoyed it
Check out was easy ans all in all a good night and would recommend it - might even consider a night out in Birmingham even though I live quite close

Room Tip: We were on second floor facing the dual carriageway was quiet

Dear Dr Quincy,
Glad you have a good Christmas party, as it is important for our guests to have a festive and enjoyable stay with us over this period.
Pleased to read your reviews on your room and toiletries- they are a lovely treat! And appreciated the small but valued car park discount we provide.
It would be great to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Having stayed at Malmaison Hotels on numerous occasions and thoroughly enjoyed the experience I chose the Mal at Birmingham to celebrate my 40th Birthday, in style, or so I thought!
Check in was extremely slow, we booked a deluxe room to spoil ourselves with luxury and were extremely disappointed. The décor was tired and shabby with a least favourable smell, there was a tear on the chaise longue which had been glued back down, it was just awful and far from the standard I was expecting. We immediately phoned to state our disappointment and were moved to another room, the only difference being that the chaise longue wasn’t ripped, other than it was just as terrible. We were advised that there were no alternative’s so had to accept the room.
The following morning we chose to use the spa, to our surprise the room did not contain the amenities it should have, there were no robes or slippers, when we phoned to ask for these we were on the receiving end of an extremely rude member of staff. We eventually received the robes and ventured to the spa to enjoy my birthday morning, again another disappointment! One of the showers was out of use, the sauna barely worked and there wasn’t a water fountain. Again overall the spa was shabby.
My husband had contacted the hotel in advance to explain that we were celebrating my 40th birthday yet there wasn’t a single sign of good will/small gesture to enhance our stay. We were extremely embarrassed that we had invited friends to this hotel and will not be returning. I would rather stay at the premier Inn that the Mal and will definitely choose Hotel Indigo next time I am in Birmingham!

1  Thank MrsDUk

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at Mal Maison many times & as I'm originally from Birmingham I always feel right at home. Today I only visited Le Petit Spa, as my friends kindly purchased a voucher for me on our last Spa weekend in the Mal.

The treatments are always great & I had facial, that was relaxing and rejuvenating. They now use Espa products, previously Elemis, but I'm a fan of both as they both feature essential oils, which I find only add to the experience.

My therapist Lis was friendly, but stopped talking at just the right time. :-) The massage part of the treatment eas awesome, although my hair was an oily medd by the end of it. It would have been nice to be asked if minded wet/oily hair.

When there for an overnight stay I always use the gym and spa facilities as it seems a shame to miss out, but today was a flying visit.

My only complaint over the last year or so is the removal of the amazing shiatsu massage chairs. These were an outstanding feature that would have kept me coming back alone.

If you're in town and want a bit of pampering I'd recommend this place. It's like a little slice of paradise in the city.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Good Afternoon,
It is great to read of your recent visit to our Spa. Our treatments are very personal and our staff provide amazing service to ensure all our guest leave feeling happy and refreshed. Pleased you experienced this!
Le Petit Spa look forward to your next pamper visit

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I hav long been a fan of the Mal chain, having styled with them right for the opening of their first hotel. I've not stayed with them for a while and this was my first visit to the birmingham hotel. I have read the reviews on here and was starting to feel slightly anxious about staying there due to the negativity of some of the reviews.

So of the views on her were a little 'picky' like the room numbers for example, but on the whole I agree with the current position of the reviewers thinking. I stay in hotels for around 100 nights per year and always expected Mal maison to live up to its slogan of 'dare to be different' but I really feel it is resting on its laurels and hasn't moved on from the turn of the century. The superior room we had was disappointing; the furniture was chipped and the paintwork of a poor standard. I just don't think that the quality of the rooms justifies the price.

I also think that the brand has lost its way. Their conversational manner of signage etc has been truly overtaken by brands like citizen m. The Mal staff appear to have lost the 'Mal' way of doing things and the guests clearly don't come first any more. On top of that, the hotel clearly needs sales points at never point of customer interaction - from the wine on the table in the room (with price label attached) to the additional charges levied on a pre- booked deal! I get the feeling that the Ryan air approach has been introduced.

All in all, I feel that the chain has lost the 'Mal' way of doing things ... I certainly won't be using the chain again and paying a premium price for the role of a guest who just happens to be a second class citizen

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple