“Convenient location, worth a stay for the spa.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malmaison Birmingham

Malmaison Birmingham
Ranked #23 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Convenient location, worth a stay for the spa.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed here with a partner after booking through 'secret escapes' so we weren't aware which hotel we'd be staying at until the morning we travelled. I have to say for what looks like a small building right in the city centre it packs quite a lot in, having a gym, spa, restaurant and bar.

The room was pretty much what you'd expect for a city centre chain hotel, with a few nice Malmaison touches. It looked out over the Mailbox, so the view was pleasant, and there were no issues with noise. We didn't eat in the restaurant, so I can't comment, electing to eat at the pickled pig nearby. We did have breakfast from room service though, which I would wholeheartedly recommend, it's a little bit more expensive than doing breakfast in the restaurant, but worth it.

The location by the Mailbox means there are lots of bars and restaurants just on the doorstep, and the bars in the city centre are not far away at all.

Before leaving in the morning, both my partner and I both had massages booked in the spa. The spa was nice, if a little small and my only minor gripe was that we were separated for our treatments, there are no double treatment rooms for couples.

The location, and the spa are enough that I'd definitely use this hotel again should I need to visit Birmingham.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Arabic first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We recently hosted a corporate privite dining event for around 12 people and were extremely pleased with all aspects of the service - would definitely go back and recommend to anyone looking into private dining.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We used this hotel whilst in Birmingham for a wedding. Whilst my room was under a hundred quid for the night I made sure that I took full advantage of the spa and gym which were both excellent. My room was comfortable and the location seemed decent enough although I only spent time in the hotel and wedding which was close by. The bar in the hotel was pretty decent and staff were friendly.

There were a few party goers around the hotel at night making a bit of noise at times but to be honest, I'd had a few At the wedding so slept through it!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Bridgend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Welcome was professional and friendly. Room was immaculate. Breakfast took a while during busy time but worth the wait. I had room service and eat in the restaurant food was delicious, wine is pricey but same as everywhere. Gym was on the small side. Good location 5 minute walk from New Street Station. Pleasant staff during check out. Would definitely go back. Hotel generally was immaculate.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel was booked for a business trip along with several clients and guests. Reception staff were very friendly and warm. The hotel has great spa and gym equipment and all of the facilities were clean.

The bar was busy and had a great atmosphere.

The restaurant was busy but we had booked ahead. The food was very good and great value. The wine menu pretty good too. Sadly the whole thing was spoilt by the slow service. The staff were apologetic but not able to speed things up.

All in all a very good hotel and the location could not be better.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Manchester / London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

This was our second visit to Malmaison Birmingham, after spending a less than satisfactory Anniversary night there in September 2013. This visit was for Valentine ’s Day and obviously wasn’t our first choice of location however, after being ‘ensured’ extra effort would be made to guarantee we had a memorable visit (for the right reasons) we gave it another chance.

General Good Points

Location – Easily accessible by car or Train (Although a different postcode is needed to locate the hotel car park) as it’s underneath the shopping centre surrounded by a one way system, we weren't aware of this on our first visit.

Walking distance to Birmingham City centre.

Nice layout of bar and restaurant (although this is a staple feature in all of the Malmaisons I’ve visited)

Great atmosphere in the restaurant and Evening meal as always, very nice! We have never been disappointed with our evening meal at any of the Malmaisons we’ve visited.

Bad Points

In general the entire hotel could do with a fresh lick of paint and a spruce up. It’s becoming very rough around the edges and let’s be honest we’re paying for a malmaison experience – sexy, luxuries, special...not just a room to crash in after a night out.

At first glance, marks and scuffs on the wall, worn carpet, spot light hanging out of the fitting, again just generally rough around the edges...if this is the standard they’re happy to offer guests, then their prices should reflect this.

The room was a bit grubby something had been spilt over the top of the mini bar and ran down the front of the cupboards and into the bottom draw...great for putting my evening clothes in!

The bed looked like a stroppy teenager had made it whilst half asleep resulting in us having to remake it.

Hairs visible on the bathroom floor / sink area.

We had a 5 course set menu and despite the restaurant being busy (as expected) our server was very attentive and courses arrived promptly and all was delicious. The only let down was the half hour wait we had between our dessert and the coffee / truffles to end the meal with. At first we wanted time to finish our cocktails before coffee arrived so didn’t mind a bit of a delay. However, when my boyfriend made our server aware of the delay she barked "well, I didn't know what drinks you wanted"...obviously our response being.."well, why didn't you come and ask us?" She then proceeded to bring us speciality coffees at an extra cost instead of the coffees included in our set menu.

Breakfast was also included in our booking so we made a point of being early as it was very busy, as expected. Despite there being a lot of servers it took a long time for us to be asked if we wanted tea/coffee..it took even longer for it to arrive. There was a nice selection of pastries which we had enjoyed before our drinks arrived, we then ordered two cooked breakfasts and toast. Both arrived quite quickly but were cold along with the toast being cold and completely white..as in apart from being hard you wouldn't have thought it had been toasts.

We sent the breakfasts and toast back, they were replaced again very quickly but again were nothing more than luke warm - Disappointing as it wasn't the enjoyable breakfast I was hoping for.

My overall opinion - After giving this place two chances I would not return, Malmaison Liverpool is far superior in all aspects.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Francesca C
Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed in this hotel for work. It being my second mal stay In a week in two different cities. I was not dissapointed. My room was very nice with a lovely comfortable bed. However the highlight of my stay was my meal in the restraunt. I had a lovely 3 course meal that was soo good I have to pass my compliments to the chef, ended with a chocolate soufflé that was cooked to perfection.
I have loved every malmaison I have stayed in and this one was no different. I thoroughly recommend staying here to anyone.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business