“Fabulous rooms - drinks horrendous”

Malmaison Birmingham
Ranked #22 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here with work in mid June. Looked like there was a significant work based clientèle.
Room was beautiful - spacious and elegant. Large bed, massive telly, great sized bathroom, with lovely free toiletries.Iron and ironing board in the room, which is great.
Agree with previous review - public areas almost in darkness, and the music just a little intrusive.
Food during day and in evening was very good, but being charged £3 for a coffee/tea after evening meal when on full board, seemed very petty.
The bar prices were frankly ridiculous. A large glass of sauvignon blanc was £12!!!! I didn't pay it ( a small was £9), but that it just exploitation. - effectively £36 a bottle for bog standard white wine.
The breakfast was fine - waitress tutted at me when I declined to squeeze into a very small space between two tables - cereals, fruit, juices - cranberry that was sweet enough to put my teeth on edge - were all help yourself. Hot breakfast was order, and i had the smoked salmon and scrambled egg. I asked for my egg to be really well scrambled and it wasn't but I didn't have time to complain/wait.
All told fine, but if I had paid the £185 that it said on the receipt, I would not have been too happy.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank cathy711
There are newer reviews for Malmaison Birmingham

Reviewed 30 May 2014

My work colleague and I had a fabulous steak dinner here. Excellent quality. Service was good. Wine reasonably priced. I'd definitely recommend this restaurant if you like your steak cooked as requested and you don't mind spending just a little extra.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 May 2014

good value for money, the breakfast offered a large variety and was fresh. Would definitely stay here again and recommend for all occasions.The room was very large, and could not hear any noise from outside. The bathroom could have been a bit more updated.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I stay in the hotel for two days. The first day I had breakfast in the hotel. It made me very disappointed that I have never tried the breakfast like that in UK. It changes expansive but not many choose.
The bed cover very dirty. I can tell it has not been wash for a long time.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Needed a hotel for 1 night in central Birmingham, and after extensive research on Google and Trip Advisor, chose Malmaison - getting a great deal helped as well !
Room was city facing but very quiet and had everything you might need - room for shopping bags and great toiletries !
Public areas very dimly lit and could barely read the menu in the Brasserie it was so dark.
Food was exceptional and reasonably priced but drinks very expensive.
Only criticisms - A service charge was automatically added to our bill for our meal. I prefer to tip staff myself for good service, we were unable to get this charge removed in the brasserie and tip personally - the personal tip would have been for more. Also had drinks in bar before dinner, served by a waiter without any issue, after dinner could not get served without going to bar ourselves.
We also made use of the spa facilities which were ok but plasters left around the edge of the Jacuzzi were a bit off putting.
Will stay again when next need a room in Birmingham for the location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Annie M
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Convenient location in the heart of the town so perfect for shopping etc. Nice enough hotel because we had a special offer deal so it made it good value but in all honesty had we been paying full price it would have been a bit of a let down. It wasn't as good as our stays at other Mal hotels such as Edinburgh and Oxford. Our room was spacious, modern and clean like all Mal standard rooms, similar to Manchester. Staff were helpful enough too. The evening meal was very good value from the pre fix menu and it didn't mean compromising on the quality of the food either. This was the best bit about our stay. It's also good to hand in your car parking token at reception and get the 15% discount as parking is expensive. Breakfast didn't taste as good as other Mal cooked breakfasts which is a shame considering the evening meal was so good. I'd compare this hotel to you usual chains such as Crowne Plaza which is fine but we'd usually expect that little bit more from a Mal stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Lovely evening and we were welcomed with open arms. The service was immense and I think we met the best cocktail maker in existence Alps! Special thanks to Alps for adding to the evening! We will be back!! Arun

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends