“Good hotel but....”

Malmaison Birmingham
Ranked #27 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Good rooms, good but expensive restaurant....reasonable wine list with very good selection by the glass. WiFi not good enough for business use and really needs to be upgraded. High staff turnover. Safe but expensive parking. Near the canal and Mailbox which offers a good selection of cheaper dining options.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,489)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The service and attitude in the hotel was good, but the hotel itself is tired. The carpets are worn the rooms are a little ragged around the edges and the bathroom has a little ingrained dirt.
The wi-fi might as well not have existed, it never registered close to half a meg.
The room wasn't cleaned properly dirty glasses were left in the room and the bathroom was not cleaned. This was despite us calling reception and their reassuring us that housekeeping would come and redo the room and clear the glasses away - it never happened.
Generally the room was comfortable, though my wife the bed was too hard.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2014

As a brand, Malmaison never fails to deliver and this time was no different. From the prompt, warm welcome at reception, beautifully designed and kept room, and (the deal breaker) a good shower(!) I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed for my 50th 5th & 6th July 2014. We upgraded to a junior suite and I have say the whole experience was great. Well done Malmaison team. The service was brilliant and I was made to feel special from the outset. Breakfast was really nice also. All in all we had a great experience and will be going back again in the future.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a junior suite on the 7th floor and it was great. Our adult kids each had a standard...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I thought I had tried the best of fine dinning in Birmingham but I'm a little disappointed with myself for leaving it so long before visiting here. But guess its a blessing in disguise as I may not have gone anywhere else if I had know how good it would be.

From the point of calling to make a reservation through to leaving, the experience was fabulous. I have to say our waiter (Andrew) was excellent, very knowledgable about the menus and complementing wines.

Being a self acclaimed steak connoisseur I was a little disappointed the menu only offered Rump and New York Strip steaks, but my apprehensions were proven wrong. The Lollipop Chicken was delicious, New York Strip cooked to perfection and a gorgeous Cheese cake to top it all off.

Will defiantly be visiting again soon.

You may even get to see a celeb.. Jeremy Kyle was sat on the next table to us... which made it my wife's best dinning experience so far.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Epicurean80
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Brilliant hotel room ideal for the mailbox and brindley place location. Room was luxurious and spacious as well as clean. Couldn't wish for more for a stay for a night out and shopping! Would recommend 100%

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Hi, Just a quick review and a thank you.... I stayed at malmaison birmingham on saturday with my girlfreind... we had a great time, mainly due to great service, nice decor and a nice buzz about the place!!! and most of all a big, big thank you to rachel who saved my bacon the new starter a week in to her new role on reception! because on realising i booked the wrong date she didn't panic and quickly sorted the issue. I work for a presigue car manufactorer and hear a lot about customer service in detail with trips to mitchelin starred resturants to show us the bench mark. I would suggest she was better and provided a top flight a lesson in service, so maybe we'll visit this hotel for our lessons in future.......

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple