“A wonderful treat ”

Ranked #22 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Wolverhampton
“A wonderful treat ”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed and ate here over the weekend and like all the others mals this one is no differnt first class quality all round the decor and furniture are of the highest quality and the food is exceptional, as is always you get what you pay for, in the perfect location too to reach local theatres ect

Stayed July 2014
Jamie M, Manager at Malmaison Birmingham, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay at Malmaison Birmingham. We are delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay and I will ensure that your comments are relaid to the team here at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Jamie Moss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Arabic first
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Arrived after getting lost for about half an hour driving around birmingham - it might just be me but finding the mailbox isn't the easiest, and all the birmingham road works arent helping.

On arrival I had to wait whilst two staff talked to each other about something or other which was annoying. The hotel is nice, rooms are nice, but the service just isnt prompt or friendly.

We were having a meeting in the hotel and again service just always slightly laking. A few times i wanted some assistance and there was no-one available in te meetings area so i had to go downstairs to the main reception. And requests took ages to action.

In the meeting room there was a serious lack of power sockets - which was a bit odd for a business meeting.

I lke Malmaison - but the one in birmingham just doesnt meet the standards.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay with us.

I would very much like to discuss your comments further so that we can take action to improve our offering. If you are prepared to do this please drop me a line at dgm.birmingham@malmaison.com so that we can proceed.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Nice room, great location, offers are great when you can get them on the room rates.
A few things could be done better, ceilings in bathroom need a refresh. Best example of the mixed bag; Saturday mornings breakfast was perfect (eggs Benedict with bacon), Sunday mornings breakfast, exactly the same but served cold, one egg was virtually hard boiled and bacon was over cooked. No point complaining as the staff were rushed off their feet.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris B
Dear Guest,

Thankyou for taking the time to leave feedback following your stay with us, I was sorry to hear that your experience at breakfast was inconsitant and I will be reviewing your comments with our Food and Beverage team to ensure that we are making the necesarry imrprovements swiftly.

kind regards and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon .

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Love the location of this hotel. The rooms are funky but need a bit updating now, maybe a refurbishment is due soon,

The reception staff of lovely and happy to help, however the bar staff need to smile a bit more.The problem is the bar is very popular with non-hotel guests so it feels like as a guest you are not valued as much.

I would always return just for the location being at the entrance of the mailbox.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thankyou for taking the time to leave feedback on your stay with us. I will be reviewing your comments along with the rest of our managment team in order to make improvements where necessary.

I am however delighted to inform yo that we will be refurbishing our bedrooms in ther coming months with an exciting new look.

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Visiting Birmingham on business and took in a concert ..Daryl Hall & John Oates (80's) and elected to stay at Malmaison the Mailbox....didn't disappoint ! Arrived and found I had a contract in my email to print scan and return....the warm and welcoming young receptionist handled it with ease, and went out of her way to deliver . I spent a great day visiting old haunts in a taxi to return to a welcome glass of
champagne expertly delivered in the bar . The music is perfect, the atmosphere spot on. I had a superb dinner in the restaurant and want to highly commend Ben my waiter...great menu knowledge , wonderful professional service .... Management should keep an eye on him .....could go far ! A 10/10 experience

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mannings10
Dear Guest,

Thankyou for taking the time to leave feedback following your recent visit to Birmingham Malmaison, we are delighted to hear that you had a great stay and I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team at the the hotel.

kind regards and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future!

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Good things: Close to Birmingham Train station, Neat & Clean, Good Sleep, Large rooms, Gym, Good Breakfast
Bad Things:Limited and expensive in-room dining, gym room is small, there's no jacuzzi (just a spa). For the money other hotels nearby can provide more.
Overall, good for a business stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thankyou for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay. We will be reviewing your comments and looming at some of the areas highlighted to see if we can improve them in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon

Bourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I like the Malmaison brand and have stayed in a few so it is a little difficult writing a poor review on Birmingham. We stayed on a Sunday night deal, £25 for the room if we spent £75 in the bistro which was a good deal and I have given three stars on that basis, if we had paid full tariff it would sadly have been 1 star.
Unlike some other reviews we found all the staff helpful and cheerful, especially Ben who served us in the bistro the head waiter who went out of his way to clear a table in the window for us.

The Room: OK but showing its age with a few stains on the carpet and a chip in the wardrobe door. It was impossible to keep the water in the shower and this drenched the toilet roll. There was only a very small window meaning the room was dark and the view, well that has to be seen to be believed so I have uploaded a photo. There is currently a massive rebuild of the Mailbox shopping venue and it is chaos, simply don't bother going there to shop as almost everything is closed despite what the posters say. You can't even get in the main entrance and have to walk around the corner to a small side door and then along dirty corridors. And the noise, you are literally on a building site so that is all you can expect to hear.
The Bar: because of the building this is in a very high room, perhaps three floors high with lots of hard surfaces and little or no atmosphere. The tables were sticky and needed a wipe and there were scraps of food from lunch still on the carpet when we went down for pre dinner drinks at 8pm
The Bistro: our experience here was much better. Our waiter Ben was great and the food was excellent, hot, not badly priced and creative. The house plonk was also reasonable.
Parking: there is reference to parking at the hotel and good directions to find it immediately beside the hotel but what I cannot recall being mentioned is that it's a public car park and charged at £20 per day. The hotel did discount this by £4 for me when I asked but that was a surprise.
Fire Alarm: it seems that at 10am on a Monday they test the alarms it was just a shame they didn't bother to notify their guests leading to us hitting the corridors in not very much at all only to then find out it was a test. Not clever.

I won't give up on the Malmaison chain yet but they really need to raise their game if they are to stay popular, Sunday night specials or not, and I won't be returning to Birmingham.

Room Tip: Sadly I'd say find another hotel in Birmingham, at least until the building work at the Mailbox...