“The Return”

Malmaison Birmingham
Ranked #20 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

After a disappointing stay several months ago, we were invited back to try the hotel again.
It was a lovely suite on the 7th floor so it was very quiet.
My partner and I had a lovely stay, the hotel seemed to have more of a buzz about it,
Free wifi is always a bonus these days.
The only thing this hotel needs now is a little money spent to update the rooms they are a little dated, few scuffs on furniture & wallpaper but all that aside.
Staff very friendly and helpful
We will definately be back when we want a little weekend getaway with steam, sauna & jacuzzi thrown in.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Malmaison Birmingham

Reviewed 30 August 2014

The positives are a nice central location, high quality service from well trained staff, trendy bar with a nice ambience and free WIFI. We stayed in a standard room (629) which had a very large extremely comfortable bed and fine pillows. The negatives, the bedroom decor and fittings felt a bit dated, the carpet was not very clean with which I hope was a melted chocolate stain under the window and the light coloured carpet suffered other various other stains. The walls had many marks and scuffs on them, which shows their age since their last painting. good secure Parking discounted to £16 for 20 hours usage.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Stayed at Malmaison last week with my 19 year old daughter. It was to spend some mother/daughter time together before she goes away to University and it was perfect!!. We checked in at 3pm and our room was beautiful. Other reviews state that the rooms are dark but our room was lovely and light, warm and inviting. In comparison with the Hyatt, Malmaison is much more modern. We went for afternoon tea and it was lovely, we felt like we were on masterchef verbally reviewing each treat as we tasted. I would thoroughly recommend going for afternoon tea especially if you're shopping and want something light (even though it was filling and we didn't manage to eat it all). I can honestly say our stay at Malmaison made our time together extra special and we didn't want it to end. Many thanks to Damian Goom (GM) and Stephen Woodhouse (RM) you run a tight ship and your hospitality towards your guests is first class.

Room Tip: Make sure you make your requests know before you arrive. They will do all they can to accommodate yo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2014

my wife and I recently stayed at the Malmaison hotel in Birmingham and had a fantastic time, I contacted the hotel in advance to say it was our 13th wedding anniversary and when we arrived we had been given a free upgrade to an executive suite which was a massive room with a separate lounge area and dressing room, 2 large screen TVs, we also were given free chocolates in the room and cocktail vouchers ! which were great, I had a cosmopolitan and my wife had a mojito, we love the bar in Malmaison, it is very trendy and has a great atmosphere, the mal breakfast is superb, my wife always has the eggs benedict and I try different things eg. the full English, the cheese omelette with Wocester sauce or the kippers, the hotel is in a great central location for shopping eg at the Bullring and right next door to Harvey Nicholls and is also right beside the canal side restaurants, I would recomment the hotel to anyone visiting Birmingham, the staff always make a great effort to make you welcome and are very helpful, Ronald McFarlane, Nottingham

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed overnight at Malmaison in Birmingham's Mailbox recently and was again pleased with the service and comfort received. I last stayed here some years ago and was interested to know whether it was still up to standard.

I made a "late booking" (helped by TripAdvisor's comparison price check!) and arrived at 3.30pm on a Sunday to find the room not quite ready. I had booked a superior room and was advised that they had had a "really busy" Saturday night and many apologies were made. I was given a delicious cup of coffee whilst I waited in the lobby and within fifteen minutes my room was available to enter. Reception staff were very friendly and efficient whilst checking in and out.

It was a twin room with two king sized beds and plenty of room to move around. OK, so the view of the car park next door wasn't good, but I wouldn't expect much more in Birmingham city centre. (I am originally from Birmingham, so I am allowed to say that!)
There was a desk, mini bar, WiFi, a roomy bathroom with bath and separate shower, with plenty of fluffy white towels, plenty of hot water and complimentary toiletries. The decor seems a little bit dated now the overly brown 90's are done and dusted, but nevertheless, it was very clean and comfortable. I couldn't complain about a thing.

The bed was extremely comfortable and I slept very well as there was hardly any noise from the corridor or outside. I had arranged previously with reception for breakfast to be sent to my room, but this seemed to have been overlooked. At eight a.m I phoned reception and it was sent to my room within five minutes. Although quite pricey for a continental breakfast, it well worth it for the luxury of eating it in bed whilst reading your newspaper or watching the sizable TV.
The hotel is situated within the Mailbox complex so there are plenty of restaurants to choose from and plenty more within a few minutes walk within the city centre's main streets themselves. (I dined at Strada and had a delicious meal and I was served by ultra friendly staff.) The delights of shopping are well within reach and easy access to New Street railway station.
I would recommend this hotel, particularly if on a late deal as the cost isn't much more than a run of the mill lesser hotel. Would I stay here again? Of course. Wouldn't hesitate!

Thanks to all the staff who made my stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Stayed here bank holiday weekend with my husband, and we were not disappointed. Felt trendy and very yuppy-ish - I'm OK with that! great lighting for the romantics, and all of my favourite things were taken care of. We could watch the TV from the bathtub, always a bonus, went for dinner canal side and there was plenty of variety..if you like Italian that is. Great continental breakfast choice and well presented with all those Malmaison touches that you would expect. Mad rush at checkout, they do validate your parking token for Mailbox (15% but it is expensive to start) - if you don't want to wait the machine is on the left of the last reception desk and you can tap this on yourself for the discount. We finished our visit with Mocktails that were included at Malbar - perfect end to a little urban stay

Room Tip: A superior (normal room) is still large and luxurious
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in Birmingham this bank holiday weekend as his early birthday surprise - and it was absolutely perfect. Our room was spotless and beautifully decorated, the lighting is also ambient and romantic. Even though we had booked the standard room it still felt like we were staying in a luxury suite! Every member of staff we came into contact with was on point and happy to help, especially Ben and the other evening staff in the Brasserie who were brilliant at giving us a memorable evening meal! We also thought there was an issue with our bathroom plumbing so we notified the ladies in reception and we got back to our room later that day to find that the maintenance team had rectified the problem exactly as we had asked. This hotel is a 5 minute walk from the centre so it was never any trouble getting out and about!

Long story short, I will definitely be coming back here to stay and will try and take advantage of their spa and gym facilities also :)