Malmaison Birmingham
US$114
  • Room Service
US$88
  • Restaurant
Bloc Hotel Birmingham(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$111
US$44
US$43
Travelocity
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$109
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
2,543 results
All reviewsharvey nicholsmailbox car parkmini barmail boxhotel bargood sizehot breakfaststandard roomafternoon teaclub roombars and restaurantscity centresaturday nightnew street stationlovely roomstayed for one nightfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Booked this as a spur of the moment, I was doing some business in Birmingham and decided to book one of their special offers - £149 dinner B&B - absolute bargain, however what I didn'e realise was there was an allowance for the dinner, my wife and I over endulged a little on the meal and had to pay an extra £36 not including drinks, however the meal was worth it, it was absolutely beautiful, the service was exemplory and the staff were very informative and helpful, if I lived in Birmingham I would dine there on a regular basis.

We booked the standard room and although they are not big, they are very clean and very comfortable and very adequate, the only critisism I would have is that the windows don't open and you have to rely on the air-con, the controls are not clear and it is a bit hit and miss, but luckily it wasn't hot so we didn't encounter any major issues.

The bar area was very busy as it was a Saturday night but the staff worked very hard and a big queue at the bar wittled down very quickly.

Breakfast the next morning was very good, there was a choice of continental or cooked, or both, it was very tasty, service was bit hit and miss, coffee and toast came after the meal was served but it wasn't a big issue, after all it was Sunday and the staff were working very hard.

The surrounding area is based in the Mailbox, it is in the old Royal Mail sorting office, there is everything there that you can imagine, Harvey Nichols, Hugo Boss, Armani, thankfully we left at 11:00 just before they opened saving me a few quid as I think I would have had a hefty credit card bill if I stayed.

This is the second time I have stopped at a Mal, again I wasn't dissapointed, the only dissapointment we had was that we had to pay £18 pound to park next door, however we knew this before we went.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank chappell1964
Reviewed 26 August 2009

I stay in Malmaison every year when visiting Birmingham and having stayed n other hotels this is always my first choice.

Great location - steps from New St Station, close to restaurants and bars.

The hotel itself is clean and modern and the rooms are always welcoming with pleasant furnishings, nice touches like tea and coffee and a music player, and lovely toiletries.

My one comment is that perhaps unlike other guests we actually used our toiletries as we had a four night stay (twin room) and they weren't replaced.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2009

We stayed at the Malmaison for 3 days in February and it wasn't the best experience.
Whilst the rooms are very contemporary and well done, they would normally not get serviced until 4 PM ! I would be made to wait in the Bar area and apologised to but would have the same problem the next day ! Not ideal when you return from the Town Center after a hectic day of shopping and are dying to put your feet up!

For business and serious shoppers, this is located ideally, but its not recommended for people looking at a quiet spot within the city.

The Spa experience was terribel - I tried a Elemis facial which came highly recommended and my face instantly reacted to it and I broke out in a serious rash. Since they had tried to sell me a few of the Elemis products, I called back and suggested they run allergy/skin patch tests before suggesting such chemically strong facials... the staff got extremely defensive and rude and didn't even appear to be concerned of the reaction to my face !!! I ended up working from home on my return because of the face rash until it subsided .... Should have sued these guys in hindsight.

Terrible terrible experience overall ...not what you'd expect from such an expensive hotel ...

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Julymermaid
Reviewed 25 August 2009

An excellent hotel in a excellent position in the center of Birmingham.

The room was beautifull, confortable, large and above all very clean.
Excellent bed and bathroom.

Friendly staff always helpfull.

In the room there was a graet and helpfull FREE Internet connection.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2009

Thanks to the very good corporate rate we are offered, we're currently working our way through all of the Malmaison's. The location of the Birmingham one is good, about 10 minutes walk to Corporation Street/the Bull Ring and the Mail Box is really quite nice. We wished we'd eaten in the Mailbox though as there was a lot of choice (and probably better than the Brasserie if you're not on an inclusive deal).

The £29 dinner for two with wine and coffee was very good value but the food was fairly bland, although the house white (Argentinian) was suprisingly good. You can also choose any wine from the list and they'll deduct £15 as part of the deal. The restaurant staff were lovely, although we basically had to serve ourselves in the bar and annoyingly ended up paying service charge for our bar tab as the waiter 'kindly' offered to transfer our bill over to the restaurant...be warned as service is added automatically!

The rooms are standard Mal, quite small but nicely decorated with good bathrooms and the toiletries are surely up there with the best as far as hotels go. The rooms are very quiet given the proximity to the busy road.

The spa is really lovely, bigger than the Manchester Mal but not quite as new. The spa pool is gorgeous! Mal breakfast's always seem to be good, and we didn't have to wait long at all however it was quite quiet on a Saturday morning.

An annoying niggle is that they don't have a hotel rate at the Mail Box carpark, which is overly steep at £16/24 hours. Suggest parking at the NCP Holloway across the dual carriageway (£14/24 hours) or the council car park opposite the hotel on Navigation Street (£13.50/24 hours or £1/hour).

All in all a really good hotel, especially if you can get one of their package deals.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple