“NOT UP TO SCRATCH”

Ranked #22 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Ireland
“NOT UP TO SCRATCH”
Reviewed 17 December 2009

I was sorry to see standards slip at Mal Maison. It is beautiful property well located. This was my second time to stay there. Reception staff were vague and not overly helpful. Housekeeping standards left much to be desired, we stayed for four nights and the first two mornings mentioned to reception our concerns re cleanliness of our rooms but no action was taken, we gave up in the end and wont stay again.

Stayed November 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
London
Reviewed 11 December 2009

Stayed at the Mal last night and i was shocked by how tired it was looking. Bits were missing off the bathroom taps, the funiture had chips in, and it needed a bloody good clean and paint job in the communal areas.

Bar staff were grumpy, the only great thing was the breakfast, which was as usual, very good.

Its a shame to see this great place becoming just another chain hotel

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2009

This is my first visit as a regular B/ham business traveller having been so disappointed with the Radisson.
Parking in Mailbox is easy but expensive, £18!
Reception was excellent and efficient. Roo was average i thought. Would have looked good when new with all the dark shades but when scratched and worn it doesen't work.
Quitet though.
Evening: Music in bar was overpowering but lively. Food was not briliant, the steak I had was poor, veg as good though. But breakfast was worse. The suasage was the worst I have ever had in a hotel and I have stayed in dozens. Rest was poor too. Should of stayed with cold stuff which was well presented and good to eat.
I am sorry but not likely to return. Back to the Burlington for me, best food and service in B/ham even if the rooms are not the best but they are still above average
One other positve......great beds and duvets

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 26 November 2009

Stayed at the Hotel twice in September for a business trip. The reception is great and was served quickly considering the amount of people waiting, the reception staff were also very helpful when it came to organing internet access which was free for corporate trips.

The room was amazing, one of the comfiest beds i've ever slept in. The room had tv with sports/news channels, cd player and all the usual extras. Bathroom was great with a great range of large shampoos etc.

The location is perfect for business, travel and night life. There is an extremely large selection of restaurents and bars aswell as a tesco express within a couple of minutes walk. 10-15 minute walk away from main business park. 10 minute walk to Broad street which is where the main night life is at.

The hotel also had a gym, which was reasonable although usually became over crowded at peak times.

The only dissapointing thing was the breakfast, which was a MASSIVE let down. Due to it being a business trip I was on, I went for breakfast early. Intially I had to wait over 5 minutes just to give my room number to get a seat, after that, it took even longer to try and get served or to even get hold of someone to give my order to. On the second moring I asked a staff member (that had just taken out an order) walking past my table if I could place my order. The response I got was, "I'm not allowed to take orders, talk to her" then he continued to walk on and didn't even inform the other member of staff I was waiting to be served. I had to finally track someone down to place my order. I am never one to let one bad experience put me off. So I went for breakfast the next morning again and placed my order when the staff member took my room number to try and speed things up. However 25 mins later and having asked several times still no breakfast, I was forced to leave to head for my business meeting on an empty stomach, not impressed. That was the last time I attempted to have breakfast there. However my colleague informed me the other mornings weren't any better. I would advise eating out in the morning if you have to watch your time.

Overall the experience was very pleasent. The highlights would have to be the immaculate room and friendly service from reception staff. Avoid breakfast, due to long waiting and poor staffing.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Coventry
Reviewed 16 November 2009

I booked Malmaison following my stay at the Liverpool hotel last year. I was so impressed with the hotel, room, bar etc last year I thought I'll book the same hotel in a different location.

I was disappointed with the room at the Birmingham hotel as it was quite dated....And the bathroom was in need of updating too. And to add to this we were placed opposite the lift so it was quite noisy.

Its a good job we only really slept in the hotel and didn;t really spend too much time in the hotel room.

The staff were friendly enough.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Newcastle-Under-Lyme
Reviewed 29 October 2009

We loved this hotel. The decor is trendy, modern and cozy and reception is quite impressive. We had a double room which was a decent size and was furnished and decorated in a modern style. Bathroom was clean and a good size and there is a sign in there saying feel free to take the toileteries (they are large bottles!).

However, we HAD to pay a £50 deposit on check-in 'in case we had anything from the mini-bar'. I found this weird as all other hotels charge you if you have anything from the mini-bar. Having said that, the mini-bar was well-stocked but we didn't use anything. The £50 is then refunded on check-out but, because they insist on card payments, takes 3 days to go back in your account!

Also, the spa facilities are not free as advertised. The sauna is free but the actual spa is not - slightly misleading I thought. I am also not sure why you have to pay £3.50 more for breakfast if you pay on the morning rather than in advance - needless to say we didn't have breakfast at the hotel!

Overall, the hotel is great but their policies are a bit weird!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hols_and_Meals_Out
birmingham
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Not a bad hotel, basically what you'd expect for 3star. The standard rooms are small, but well equiped, flat screen TV mini bar, compacted bathroom, wardrobes. The suites are very nice three rooms, bedroom, lounge and library. The bathroom is quite large. In the lounge is a flat screen TV large corner sofa, dining table and ipod docks. In the bedroom is a kingsize bed, wardrobes and another TV. Hotel is clean, service can be slow when ordering room service depending on the day and time. Nice decor and colour schemes. Excellent location, right next to broad street for partying, the hotel is located in the Mailbox which is great for shopping, eating and drinking at small bars. Close to the sealife centre, Symphony Hall, two theatres, 5min walk from train station and bus stops and the Bullring. Perfect for a weekend in Birmingham

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends