“outshone by other mals”

Ranked #24 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“outshone by other mals”
Reviewed 22 January 2010

booked a nights stay for my boyfriend's birthday. having spent a few hours in the bar on a previous occasion, i was very excited to see what the rest of the hotel had to offer with my high malmaison expectations from previous experiences with this chain. this was the cheapest rate i've got a room for before, and it seems that this was reflected in the services and experiences we had during our stay.

one thing that initially struck me when walking into the lobby is that it felt very generic. though it was stylish, i felt i could be in any nice, modern four star hotel rather than it having the chic, unique malmaison stamp of other properties.
the rooms were similarly plain. though they were more than comfortable and fairly roomy, that was it really! our room ended up being pretty cold after we returned from dinner which took more than an hour for the hotel to resolve as there appeared to be a lack of communication between the two managers as they swapped duty for the night. the staff were more than pleasant to deal with, but we ended up just wanting to go to bed rather than waiting for every possible solution to be tried to fix the thermostat. if they had portable heaters available, we wouldn't have minded at all!

in terms of location, the hotel suits its surroundings in the stylist, boutique surroundings of birmingham's mailbox. though there's a lot of choice for things to do throughout the city, finding somewhere nice to eat only consisted of a casual stroll to the back of the centre if venturing out for dinner isn't really your thing which was nice and relaxing.

if i hadn't of stayed in a malmaison before, my overall rating of this hotel would probably have been slightly higher as i would've had nothing to compare it to. generally speaking though, i'm genuinely sad to not highly recommend here as i would do with any other malmaison properties i've stayed in. yes, you'll get a great nights sleep in very comfortable surroundings but whether or not to expect anything more i guess is up to you to decide! i wouldn't say that booking a room here will be at your own risk, but when theres a radisson across the road and an equally modern hyatt not far away, i'd shop around before deciding on what you'd be most satisfied to pay for.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Arabic first
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2010

I was really looking forward to my stay here as father in law treating us to pantomime with extended family so not paying a penny for it. Hotel easy to drive to and park but have to pay full public parking rates. Reception was rubbish. It took 30 mins to check in with only 2 peaople ahead of us in the queue and whilst waiting the phone rang constantly and was not answered. Our rooms would not be ready until later so we left luggage and went off to the bat for a drink and chat. Stylish surroundings in reception and bar sort of chic renaiisance mixed with ultra modern as u would expect from a malmaison. Drinks very pricey. That evening we ate in the restaurant . best steak ever had in life and service excellent no complaints. Very busy all night so speaks for itself. The room turned out to be a suite which had lounge dining area with flatscreen TV a study / bathroom and massive bedroom again with TV. The bed was soooo comfy with goosedown quilt and pillows all in crisp white. Pure Luxury with everything we needed. Breakfast was stylish in that the buffet table had no prepacked anything and was all freshly baked or prepared. The chef cooked the fried eggs to a frazzle which we should have sent back but didn't . I have eaten a better fry up from a self serve buffet than this and was well dissapointed but the rest of the cold plate made up for it I suppose. Checking out was less painful but none of the staff spoke good english and they are so slow.I think the reception area needs a supervisor whipping the service up as painfuly slow. ENjoyed stay and would go back but not if I was paying myself as so expensive

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Staffordshire
Reviewed 15 January 2010

Stopped in a suite, got a really good price on the website, was a real bargain as the suite was gorgeous. The complimentary toileteries were huge - proper bottles of shampoo, bath oil etc. The hotel itself is decorated beautifully. The only disadvantage is price of parking, but the car park is right next door.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ginauk84
staffordshire
Reviewed 7 January 2010

We stayed overnight on a saturday in november. The hotel is nice in a good location, but I didnt find it anything special, luckily we got it at a good price through hotelnet. The room was spacious and clean. I didnt find the bed or duvet to be very comfy (unlike the radisson accross the road, their beds are heavenly) and so didnt get a great night sleep.
I thought the breakfast was lovelly, you help yourself from the vast continental breakfast and then choose a hot option from the menu.
The location is good for shopping and nightlife, within walking didtance to Broad Street, Brindley Place, the Bull Ring and of corse the Mailbox on your doorstep.
I would stay again, but only if the Burlington and Radisson were fully booked.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 6 January 2010

I have stayed at Malmaison Birmingham for 10 weeks now due to business commitments and all I have to say nice hotel shame about the service. Check in is painful, the bar makes you feel like you have an alcohol problem as you get so frustrated waiting for a drink you offer to pour your own. But the worst piece of all is breakfast, the concept of Sunday brunch seems to been the training ethos of the chef and staff, if you want a boiled egg order it Monday you should receive it by Friday. This morning there was 7 staff and 10 customers and I still had to leave before getting served as I had only given them 20 minutes notice for a boiled egg. Each day I hope that they will get it right and each day I leave frustrated and without breakfast. Check your bill when checking out as they like to add a few extras just to ensure you are on the ball like service charge and tray charge for the same order, phone calls you haven't made and drinks you haven't had. Its just fun, fun, fun, even the YMCA is starting to look attractive. To add insult to injury one of my colleagues got swine flu and couldn't move from his room, the response I got when requesting an extension to his stay is "could you not take him to a hospital we are fully booked"!!!. The shame of it all is that the other Malmaisons I have stayed in have been great and the hotel itself is lovely and in a perfect location, if only someone would take hold of the service and guide the nice but misguided staff. All I would say if you have no choice but stay there is bring your own booze, don't eat breakfast unless you have a couple of leisurely hours to spend and learn to accept that you have actually checked into Faulty Towers!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Frustrated25
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 December 2009

My partner and I stayed at this hotel over Christmas whilst visiting family and had a very nice time. We had a king Suite room (room 725) which was lovely, very well equipped and very spacious indeed with a seperate living area and bedroom. The cleaning was imaculate and the full size shampoo, bath oil, massage oil etc in the bathroom were all great. We only stayed for three nights but I think you could stay here a lot longer with comfort as you have everything you need including a dining table, two TV's and full size Sofa. The only thing that I would consider not quite up to scratch would be that a few of the tiles in the bathroom were coming a little loose but we had a good rate so this wasn't really an issue to us. Unfortunately we didn't have time to use the Spa although we planned to so maybe next time. We didn't use the restaurant but we did visit the bar where we found the service great however the decoor is starting to look a little tired and could perhaps do with a bit of a revamp. All in all I would recomend this hotel for a stay in the city.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed 17 December 2009

I was sorry to see standards slip at Mal Maison. It is beautiful property well located. This was my second time to stay there. Reception staff were vague and not overly helpful. Housekeeping standards left much to be desired, we stayed for four nights and the first two mornings mentioned to reception our concerns re cleanliness of our rooms but no action was taken, we gave up in the end and wont stay again.

Stayed November 2009, travelled on business