“better than some of the past reviews!”
Review of Chamon - CLOSED

Chamon
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 10 March 2013

after reading some of the reviews i was somewhat reluctant about going to the chamon.
we met our daughter in B'ham & with her boyfriend we ageed we fancied a curry & chamon was the closest & my daughter has visted before & loved it.
we got a table for 4 on a friday evening (7 o'clock) & were quickly shown to a table.
the service was good & the food was excellent. we all had different dishes & all were hot when servced. i had my usual of mushroom madras with 3 chappattis, the chappattis were almost rosti-like in their thickness.
It is a BYO.So if you like a lager/white wine with your meal. Then BYO!
What was noticeable that it was busy & not just the local student population. It looks like the locals use it as well. This is always a good sign.
If you are in B'ham i would suggest you try Chamon, it is excellent. We will be going back again.

Oh by the way...they give you free oninon bhaji's as a starter!

Reviewed 9 December 2012

I recently went to Chamon with a large group. We all ordered the meal deal for £8.50 which included poppadoms, onion bahjees, a balti and rice or naan. It started off well; the poppadoms were nice, but after that it went downhill. The onion bahjees were the worst I've ever had, and when the balti (chicken korma) eventually turned up I was very disappointed as it was pretty much cold, with bad quality chicken and the sauce was horrible. I left hungry. Although the service was good, leaving a restaurant hungry is a good indicator that this may not be the best curry house in Birmingham. Just because I'm a student it doesn't mean I don't like to eat tasty food even if it's cheap!

1  Thank Darcyfans
Reviewed 23 November 2012

We love curry houses and balti and on this first visit to Birmingham to see my son at Uni, roads were waterlogged and we ended up heading into Selly Oak to find some food. There were already a few diners in this restaurant which drew us in (others in the road were quite empty) and am pleased we found it - the service was friendly (no card payments mind with the prices I didn't need to worry about topping up at the nearby cash till) and although there is no drinks licence only one of us was drinking and he went off to get a beer from a nearly shop. We had poppadoms, some complimentary onion bhajis which tasted fresh, and then 3 different main currys which were served in hot balti pans. The food was hot, tasty and we couldn't finish it all - then when the bill came, the waiter took it back and gave a discount when my son mentioned he was a student. All this for £25! Great value and lovely food - would most definitely visit again.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

As this will be my first review, I’m not sure whether it is usually a particularly enjoyable or painfully awful experience which encourages the diner to create such blogs; nevertheless, on this occasion, it is the unfortunate case of the latter.
So as we approached the entrance, we were greeted by a front door with a hole through it, missing its door knob and with a sign sprawled across the front claiming “no card payments”. The decor and style were not of our concern however and we were not interested by how aristocratic the experience was going to be. Good food and a decent service was all that was expected in this predominantly student based area.
An incredibly polite waiter showed us to our table and sat us down with menus at a point which marked the end of his shift. What followed would be the start of the worst dining experience I had ever been a part of. In came the inexperienced some-teen aged waiter to take our order. An unfortunate attempt to make “light conversation” ended in some rather insulting comments being made. The waiter claimed I looked “tired” and asked whether I had slept at all last night. This was a rather peculiar situation which created an embarrassing environment both for him and me. An awkward silence was followed by my understanding of his novice approach to the job as I smiled with not much to say to such comments.
Onto the food, we were informed from the onset that they were out of stock on numerous ingredients including prawns, king prawns, duck and paneer cheese. Although this was rather disappointing, we quickly altered our choices to accommodate, ordering chicken and lamb dishes which were both rather “average”. The complimentary onion bhajis were a nice touch but ridiculously drenched in oil and very stodgy. The lamb chops were a little tough but had great flavour and the naan was a considerable size making the food great value for money.
Upon completing our meal, there was no sign of any waiters for a while. Consequently, when the same waiter returned, we immediately called him over to ask for the bill; and when he bought this over, the waiter was about to commit the biggest sin in such an industry; an attempt to begin confrontation with the customer. He claimed that we were “rude” to have called him over to our table for the bill and that we should have waited for him to cater to us in his own time. We were rather taken aback by this and after attempting to explain our intention he simply claimed “the customer is not always right” and that we were out of order for ushering him to our table.
Is it not the job of a waiter to tend to the needs of the diner? Is it not his job to “wait” on his customers every need by providing an efficient and friendly service? And if he is not prepared to take order or instruction from the customer who is paying for his service, is he possibly in the wrong line of work? Unfortunately, this apprentice thought it appropriate to begin confrontation with customers in the earshot of other diners. We were mortified. We paid the bill and promptly left. This had to have been the worst eating-out experience of my life and would therefore not recommend this restaurant to anyone although it may have been the unfortunate case of one rather bad apple amongst a batch of what seemed to be lovely staff.

2  Thank Sharm1n
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Chamon was the first balti house I visited in Birmingham and I'm glad it was. The restaurant has a great atmosphere, the staff are extremely friendly and the food is fantastic. A few things that set Chamion apart are free onion bhaji's to start if you would like them and fantastic naans (which are massive, especially if you go for a family size one. The family naan is easily big enough for 6 people). I've tried quite a few different dishes there now and they have all been very tasty.

So now we come around to price. Quite frankly, it's embarrassingly cheap. Even if they charged twice as much, it would still be fantastic value.

If it is going to be your first time there, it's worth knowing that they do not have a license to sell alcohol, so you will need to bring your alcoholic drinks with you. There is an off license across the road though which is handy!

I have been with my girlfriend a number of times and with a group. it's been great every time!