“Beautiful Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel La Tour
Ranked #10 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband as my daughter lives in Birmingham. The Hotel is stunning, you can tell a lot of thought has gone into this place! I wasn't sure about the fancy checking kiosks at first (being older I'm not au fair with technology) but they were actually very straight forward, a bit like airport checking.
The rooms are very comfortable-great beds, with a choice of hard/soft pillows which my husband liked. The newspaper on the loo made us chuckle, which turned out to be the menu/hotel brochure..we took that with us! The view wasn't great, but we weren't really worried as we were going out.
We had a drink in the bar, which was very pleasant my husband was spoilt for choice with the selection of beers and Ales, and the furnishings are lovely. We didn't have dinner, but really wish we had as the menu looks fabulous..but we made up for it at breakfast,I liked that breakfast ran until 11am and was definitely worth the extra £12 we paid when we booked.
We had a trip out to Warwick the next day, 30mins on a train which was a spur of the moment thing, the train station is just next to the hotel.
The biggest thing for me though was the staff, they just can't do enough for you, (checking train times for us and delivering them to our table at breakfast) everywhere in the hotel we were greeted with a smile and a hello, they clearly love theyre jobs! I definitely would recommend staying here..and for such a classy hotel, it's not expensive!!

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour.
Kind regards, Jane Riley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Hotel la Tour for a family celebration weekend and stayed in one of the superior rooms which was very chic and classy. The bed was super comfy and the tv in the bathroom was the icing on the cake. We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday night and despite the fact it was really busy (a group called the Loveable Rogues were providing entertainment in the bar which made for a great atmosphere) the customer service and attention afforded us by the staff was first class. The food which is Marcus Wareing inspired was nothing short of sensational - i cannot recommend the pork belly highly enough! All in all the hotel is smart, fresh and designer with some nice technology to boot. The check in machines were easy to use and just as quick for check out although there was always plenty of helpful staff nearby in case of any difficulties. To round off a perfect weekend the mighty hammers won promotion back to the premier league and I was able to relive the magic over and over on the tv in the room which had a recording facility (a bit like sky+). Finally a quick mention about cafe ezra where we enjoyed a nice hot chocolate before checkout. The lady in there was lovely with our baby daughter and kept her happy with a few sneaky marshmallows! Will we be back? Definitely.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank lock-Keeper-tim
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Thank you for your very kind words, happy to hear you were impressed so much with the service, food and gadgets. My team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves.Look luck to West Ham next season. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel La Tour soon... may be when the hammers play Aston Villa ????
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

Working close to this brand new hotel I was able to go round the suites and they are all very well equipped. HI-tech equipment in all of the meeting and conference rooms - very modern and stylish.
Bedroom wise the 'Junior suites' are absolutely stunning - they really haven't spared any expense when doing out this Hotel.
Ate in the restaurant which was very tasty and a reasonable price. We had lunch - if the menu they give you looks too heavy then ask for the restaurant bar menu - lighter bites which were very tasty indeed!! The staff are very good at the restaurant - not too pushy and they give you time to decide what you want and are chatty but not overly so. And you can sit and watch the Chef cook your meal!
There is a DIY check-in service which is easy to use, as well as the usual Reception Staff who are always welcoming when I have been in.
It is still having work done to the outside area but overall it is lovely, and the surrounding area is having a makeover too.
If you are arriving by train get off at Moor Street as opposed to Snow Hill as it is right next door. New Street Station is a five minute walk away.
Note that the entrance is on the side where the park is....architects missed a trick not putting in another entrance where most people will arrive from. But when you walk in and see the splendid reception area that will all be forgotten.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jackie C
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham. Kind regards, Jane Riley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

Let me get this out of the way of what would have been a excellent stay, service in the hotel restaurant was great up to the point of what I can only describe as a senior manager or "GM" in hotel speak coming in to the restaurant.
The lady in question shouted yes shouted at one of the gentlemen that had been serving us all night I don't know what the misunderstanding was but u could clearly see the shock and embarrassment on the guys face.
Surly this is no way to talk to your staff especially as the service upto this point had been second to none.
The "GM" then sat herself at a table near us and ate her dinner completely unfazed by what she had just done.

Any way that out of the way overall a great stay at la tour the rooms are amazing very modern without being In your face and the bed was so comfy!
The bathroom was luxury as was the toilets in all the public areas
although the toilets to use if your in the bar area all the way through the restaurant.
The restaurant well the food was Great as were cocktails that we tried but the one thing that stood out was the bread and butter pudding with caramelized banana it was beautiful and woke thing about it!
I would have like to have rated this higher if it wasn't for the incident at the end of the evening.
I would stay here in the future I just hope that some of the staff can get there manners in order.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your positive comments following your recent stay: there is certainly an emerging trend of people highlighting our bread and butter pudding with caramelised banana! and It’s great for us to hear that you found our beds comfy and bathrooms luxurious.
I’d like to apologise for the incident which you make reference to. Clearly this should never have happened and I am very sorry that you had to experience this. We pride ourselves not only on the way in which we care for our guests but also for the way in which we care for our team and we have talked to the people involved to reiterate these values which are core to our company. Thank you for mentioning this to us so that we can make sure our training is improved and that this is not repeated.
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We chose this hotel for our wedding anniversary spending slightly more than we planned because the Loveable Rogues were playing in the bar on the night of our stay. The location is great, just a short stroll from the Bullring.

The decor of the hotel is striking and we especially loved the floral arrangements, bar and artwork.

I'm not sure what the attraction is of an automated machine for check-in, especially as there seemed to be an abundant number of staff hanging around watching us struggle with the technology. The room was nicely decorated but had a grim view of the flats opposite. We asked to change but were told all the city doubles face the flats. We were invited to pay an additional £30 for a room with a view which apparently has better toiletries, I thought this was a bit mean given that the hotel seemed quite empty! The room was OK apart from two things - the pillows were abysmal and the shower was significantly underpowered.

Breakfast was good in parts. We were initially shown to a table right next to a very large family group with small children when the dining room was empty which seemed strange. The breakfast itself was nicely laid out with some nice pastries and breads. On the cooked breakfast the tomatoes, fried bread and mushrooms were extremely dried out, but the other elements were good quality. The dining room acoustics make it a very loud room and unpleasant to stay in for a long time, especially as the table was so small too.

So all in all some really nice things and some disappointing things too. Still not sure it was worth what we paid.

Room Tip: City doubles have a close view of some flats opposite. There are no net curtains so either everyone...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank ez3626
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your wedding anniversary and it’s great to hear you like the striking interiors of the hotel.
We are very proud of our automated check-in system, the first time this has been used in a luxury hotel, but clearly we need to ensure the personal support is there on every occasion. The ethos behind this system is that the receptionists come from behind a traditional reception desk and are in reception welcoming you to enhance your visit. We will ensure this is better in the future.
Following on from your comments regarding the pillows we are now looking at alternatives and as a number of people have mentioned the shower pressure we are also looking at how we can improve this by either improving the pressure or changing the shower heads.
Please be assured we listen to all our guests comments and we do act on as many as we can to ensure that we are providing the very best levels of service and environment possible. I do hope that at some point in the future you will stay again and give us the opportunity to demonstrate to you how we do act on our customer views and how much we value your custom and your feedback.
Stourbridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We visited here with friends, the staff were fantastic, they took great care of us and made sure we had a great time. I believe it to be a very "young" hotel - opened this year and the staff have clearly been selected for their professionalism and enthusiasm. Will definitely be going back there.

I cannot comment on the rooms as on this occasion we did not stay, however this will soon be rectified and I'll report back in due course.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Glad you had a good time at Hotel La Tour Birmingham! Hope to see you again.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We had breakfast here, I read that Marcus Wareing does the food here so thought we'd try it out. The food is immaculately presented but to be honest, the ingredients are cheap. The sausage & bacon was disappointing. To top it off, they constantly ran out of eggs (and it wasn't very busy). The scrambled eggs are powdered, the fried eggs were undercooked and the other bits like mushroom & tomatoes were tepid.

The continental selection is better but since most English people like their hot breakfast, I'm surprised they do not put more effort into this side of it. To be honest, I thought with Marcus putting his name to the restaurant it would be better than it is - I was mistaken. It wasn't worth £33 that we paid for the 2 of us.

One thing I will say is the service in the hotel is brilliant. Everyone is very friendly and professional. The decor of the restaurant is nice, the location isn't the best - it's down the bottom of the city and there is loads of construction going on.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Him&I
Thank you for your compliment about the “excellent” service at Hotel La Tour, it is our aim to always be friendly and professional so it’s great to know we have hit the mark here. We are continuing to work with Marcus Wareing on our restaurant concept and our menus and I am sorry that breakfast did not match your expectations. We always strive to source great quality ingredients and to offer a good range of breakfast products beautifully cooked and well presented so it’s disappointing to hear that you were not satisfied. We have spent time this week looking at our breakfast offering and I sincerely hope on your next visit you see an improvement. Your feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.