“Fabulous!!!”

Clayton Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #8 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 11 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed here last Saturday night (8th) for one night through 'secret escapes'.
Great location - just a short walk from new street station and the bullring shopping centre.
On arrival we were shown how to use the self check-in desks.......very simple and quick.
We took the lift to our executive room on the 6th floor. Well what can I say......it was beautiful!
The bed is THE most comfortable bed I've EVER slept in!
All in all the room was 'fab' with views of the bullring.
In the morning we went for breakfast. WOW!!!!! All you could possibly want.....
We had a full English of top quality food. Sausages, bacon, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms and fried bread were available. Then there was muffins, croissants, toast, fruit etc.
Tea,coffee, orange juice, apple and cranberry juice!
Well we were stuffed and loved everything! It was all fresh and the staff kept renewing all the food.
Baring in mind we only paid £54 for the night for two.........we thought it was FAB and will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank evanregan
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

Thanks for your review. I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we'll be able to welcome you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham very soon Kind regards Jane Riley

Write a ReviewReviews (2,554)

Reviewed 10 September 2012

From the moment you walk into this hotel you know that there is something very special about it. Its sleek and modern reception area allowed for a quick and easy check in by friendly staff. We booked a superior room and it was just that. Spacious and contemporary with lovely touches like chocolates on the table and wine in the fridge! The little touches that made this hotel special continued in the bathroom, with luxurious toiletries, two wine glasses and even a book placed over the bath for total relaxation. If you didn't fancy reading, you could always watch the television or listen to music though! In the dressing area, there was an Illy coffee machine (which did take some working out to use and instructions would have been useful!) and a kettle with a plentiful supply of hot chocolate and tea. The hotel also supplied dressing gowns and slippers; iron and board and a hairdryer - everything for an easy stay. We had a room on the fourth floor with a fabulous view of Selfridges, but I can understand why some reviews have said that their view wasn't spectacular. There are ongoing roadworks, but we couldn't hear anything when in the room.

We ate in the hotel restaurant in the evening, which I would thoroughly recommend. All staff were extremely attentive without being intrusive. The food was fantastic and as an added bonus we were not only given a sample of the house cocktail, but at the end of the meal we were presented with a gift from the hotel of handmade truffles as we were staying there for our wedding anniversary. The high tech touches continue here, with the wine list on an ipad and the orders being taken on a handheld device (I initially thought the waiter was checking his texts before taking our order!) The drinks in the bar were reasonably priced and not inflated to hotel prices which was nice.

There were only three negative points about this hotel, which we did raise and really, after the service we received overall seem very minor. These were 1) that the room was very hot and stuffy as we couldn't get the aircon to work properly 2) there was a "mechanical" type clanking throughout the night from somewhere in the room - probably linked to 1) above and 3) vegetarian sausages at breakfast would have been nice.

Overall I cannot praise or recommend this hotel enough! I hope that all the excellent touches, the attentive staff and the quality of this hotel doesn't slip over time.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor facing the Bullring.
1  Thank nicciss

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Hotel La Tour Birmingham. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your three comments which we are addressing. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stayed for one night in August in this ultra modern hotel.

Everything is absolutely superb. Was a bit unsure of the location in relation to the shopping centre. You can see 'Selfridges' from the hotel and it is literally a 5 minute walk back to the Bull Ring/New Street Station so its location is excellent. (Hope that helps)

The restaurant was lovely and the food extremely high standard.

Check out was available automatically at a 'cash point' like machine - but there was staff on hand to help out. In fact they came to us as a matter of course to show us the ropes. Very friendly and efficient staff who were eager to please.

Would recommend this hotel and will definately use again!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Hotel La Tour Birmingham. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stayed at the hotel with friends for 1 night. Having stayed in Birmingham many times for both business and pleasure it was with interest that I saw a new hotel had opened. It is a very eyecatching design, with sharp angles, glass and granite a plenty. Inside the foyer, although still very modern, there is a calm and relaxed atmosphere. Modern comfy chairs, oversized lampshades and a spiral staircase leading to the 1st floor bar all catch your eye. Check-in was quick and efficient and we were allowed access to our room a couple of hours early as it was ready. We enjoyed drinks in the sunshine on the small terrace and all is good! Prices weren't too bad either for a stylish hotel, with a pint of ice cold Becks at £3.90. The rooms were very swish. We had an executive room and the 42" TV, rain-forest shower and mattress topper all made for a VERY comfortable experience. Breakfast was 7-11, so no crack of dawn starts after a night on the tiles. This was very nice, with a great choice of hot or cold food. The service was impeccable, both in the restaurant and throughout the hotel, so well done. The only downside with the hotel is that there is no on-site parking. There are carparks nearby, both NCP and open air public ones, so do some research re distance and prices before setting off. EXCELLENT hotel, will come back.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DDn2Lix

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stayed 1 night as a treat for my partner's birthday. The staff were extremely accommodating and very friendly. The level of service was excellent. The rooms are very clean with sufficient space for two. The service we received in the Alto Restaurant was exceptional and would recommend staying. Special mention to Robert on reception, Kelly serving in Alto and Adrian who made our stay even more enjoyable.

Had a fabulous time, would stay again

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kelly and Adrian thank you for your comments. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 9 September 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a night with secret escapes and were extremely happy with the place. It was perfectly clean and is a lovely looking hotel. The rooms are relatively spacious, especially the showers. However, there isn't much cupboard space so beware if staying for more than a night. I particularly enjoyed the room technology but for those technophobes, this hotel is possibly not for you.
Breakfast was amazing! I don't generally eat cooked breakfast and so don't often find much alternative but the continental was fantastic with great pastries. The staff were friendly and we chose to have bar snacks instead of an evening meal which were extremely nice. Free wi-fi as well was a great extra and the 24/7 gym. Would definitely recommend staying here, especially as it is rather quiet at the moment. It is right next to the Bull ring as well for shopping purposes.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 9 September 2012

This was an excellent choice, influenced by reviews on here. Hotel is very contemporary and new (opened March I think). Staff are remarkable as being humans with personalities who enjoy their jobs. There was nothing robotic or false about them. Speaking to the duty manager he said that they had chosen the staff for their personalities and not their skills. Well their personalities shone and they have obviously learned their skills.
We checked in with a person and not the self service posts and Robert set the standard for the rest of our stay. He was a true individual with a sense of humour who was also efficient.
Our room (executive) didn't have a tremendous view but it is in the city centre so didn't expect anything. We were not overlooked by offices though. Bathroom was modern with weak rain shower and stronger additional shower, The White Company toiletries (no conditioner ladies), fog free mirror and of a decent size. The management are aware of the poor power of the rain shower and they are trying other showers in some rooms at present as they are keen to rectify this. Bedroom was not huge but was plenty big enough.TV with ability to record so don't worry about missing your favourite show. Complimentary wifi. As commented on plentifully in previous reviews the phone works the lights, weird but handy. There is a small desk and chair with access points for computers etc. The hotel info says you can play movies, videos etc on the TV through one of the connection points but I didn't try and wouldn't have known how to do it. Bed is high and firm. Pillows were not to my husband's liking but they were ok for me...not the most comfortable I have ever had but ok.There is a small safe, tea, coffee and hot chocolate making facilities.The room was spotless as was every other area of the hotel that we went in.
Cafe is shut at the weekend which seems a little bizarre as coffee and cake would have done us fine at one point. Instead we ended up having a bar snack, not the same thing but it was very nice. The welsh rarebit was a variation on the theme....chunky, slightly toasted bread with ramekin of thick melted cheese and ale for dunking. Original as far as I am aware. The barmen were as attentive and individual as Robert, making easy conversation and making us feel relaxed. Their cocktail menu is very short and contains only their "signature drinks" but Zak, head barman/bar manager I think, said they would make any cocktail they had ingerdients for. When I said I didn't know what I wanted as I was a little naive on cocktails he asked me what I liked to drink and then produced an amazing cocktail which was right down my street, cherry lollipop,IMPRESSED!
We ate in the Aalto restaurant and were seated at the Chef's table. This is a raised horseshoe area which looks directly into the kitchen. What a calm area that was. No shouting, swearing, banging. Don't know how the dishes were being washed as we could hear no clattering. Food was superb and again, all staff appeared glad to be at work (see full review on Aalto restaurant, trip advisor). The only downside of our whole stay was a wait of nearly 30mins after our reservation time to be seated. The restaurant was full (make sure you book if you want to eat there and I would strongly recommend you do)and we were apologised too and given a free signature cocktail. We were not in any rush so not a problem for us. Breakfast was buffet style with continental and full English available. Tea and coffee is served by staff. Not my favourite was of drinks at breakfast. I like very weak tea and pre-made tea is too strong for me. Not a problem, they just brought me a tea bag and pot of hot water. Not sure if there were herbal teas available. They were not obvious if they were but we didn't ask so don't know. Everything was hot and cooked fresh so no food left standing too long under hot lights as in some places.
There is a gym in the hotel but we didn't use it so can't make any comment.
Check out, again with Robert, was efficient and a pleasure.
The hotel is easy to get to and is well signposted. Initially follow signs to the Bullring. There is no parking at the Hotel but they give you info about nearby car parks on their website. We rang and spoke to them about what would be best for our particular circumstances. We were told Selfridges car park. Despite it being Saturday lunchtime there were plenty of spaces. The car park is locked overnight so be careful if you might want your car during this time. If you give the hotel your car park ticket they do something to it which means you only pay £5 regardless of how long you have been there (up to 1 week I believe but not sure). It is only about a 2minute walk to the hotel from there. The Bull Ring shopping centre is the same distance and Moor Street train station not much more. The hotel is so ideally situated for that area of Birmingham.
I would not hesitate to recommend the Hotel La Tour. I believe there is expansion of this new chain with hotels planned in Manchester, Reading and some other places (7 in total if I recall correctly). If this is the standard to be set then they would become my first choice chain (I would even forgo my bath for them!!!) Well done Hotel La Tour for choosing the right people to work at your hotel, their work makes the whole concept work!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

It was a great pleasure to welcome you to Hotel La Tour Birmingham during your recent stay. Thanks very much for all your positive comments. We look forward to seeing you next time.
The whole team at Hotel La Tour Birmingham are working hard to deliver excellent customer service so it's particularly welcome to hear you had such a great time: I'll make sure your comments are passed on.Thanks for your review. I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we'll be able to welcome you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham very soon.
kind regards Jane Riley