“National Portage Association - Celebrating Portage Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel La Tour

Hotel La Tour
Ranked #10 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“National Portage Association - Celebrating Portage Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

The Hotel La Tour is a brilliant hotel to hold an event. The staff are knowledgable, friendly and efficient and made us feel that our day conference was as important to them as it was to us.

From our initial contact with the Events Co-ordinator we were made to feel valued and welcome. The conference facilities (room, equipment and a really good break out area) are excellent and being able to have a delicious hot lunch in a the well appointed restaurant was a bonus, particularly as delegates had travelled from all over the country.

The hotel is new to Birmingham and on our experience deserves to do well.

Room Tip: We didn't have accommodation so cannot comment but the conference facilities are excellent/
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank NationalPortageAssoc
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and conference at Hotel La Tour Birmingham the team will be delighted with your comments, Claire and Tom enjoy serving you all in the Auden rooms please come again soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Thai first
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed overnight during the weekend. The hotel was as described by other reviewers and staff were all very helpful. A pity there is no option for a early check in but we were able to store our bags at the hotel until 3pm. Breakfast was very good.
The only minus was that the sound travels and when other guests arrive back in the early hours of the morning and make A LOT of noise, this does tend to wake the other guests up. I did hear a ?staff member come up and knock on the door and the noise settled.
I would stay here again.

1 Thank kiwidocLondon
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback and I am sorry that you had a distrubed nights sleeps, but glad my nights team were able to sort this quite quickly.I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham. Kind regards, Jane Riley
amybu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel La Tour through a deal we had booked through Secret Escapes (bed, breakfast and dinner). The hotel is well located a short walk from the Bullring and the main shopping area of Birmingham. On arrival we used the self check in but there was also a very helpful and friendly member of staff on hand who helped. The first impression of the hotel (exterior and lobby) is excellent - modern, well presented and clean. Our room was an Executive room on the 6th floor. It was plenty large enough with a modern, clean and spacious bathroom, a huge, incredibly comfy bed and a nice chaise/day bed with pretty good views of area and Selfridges. There was a small tea/coffeee making area, a slimline wardrobe with ironing board/hairdryer and a large TV.
In the evening we had drinks in the bar which was a lovely space with comfortable seats and a very relaxing (and talented) pianist. We were pleasantly suprised with the price of the drinks menu given that this is a new, luxury hotel in the middle of Birmingham (£5ish for a glass of prosecco) We then ate in the Aalto restaurant. The food was delicious and well portioned and the waiting staff were friendly and curteous. We were talking to our waitress (sorry, I didnt take your name..but was young with a Geordie accent!) and mentioned that it was our anniversary and also our last weekend away before our baby arrives in October. She was very sweet and chatty.
After our meal she brought out a lovely plate with chocolate writing saying 'Happy Anniversary and Congratulations' and some truffles. Such a lovely gesture that really rounded off our great meal.
After a sound nights sleep the breakfast the next day was plentiful (fruit, cereal, breads, pastries, cooked food).
We had a fantastic weekend away and thought the service, food, and room at Hotel La Tour was fantastic and would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves and I will pass your feedback to Jo (the Geordie waitress). I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour. Kind regards, Jane Riley
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

I stayed for 1 night with my husband and 2 year old daughter and had an excellent stay. We stayed in an executive room and there was plenty of room for the 3 of us and my daughter 's ready bed which we took with us. Dinner and breakfast were very good quality and the staff were friendly, helpful and could not have been mor accomodating of our daughter. We had a few issues with the automatic checkout but there were 2 members of staff available to resolve any problems. As stated on the website there is no parking, but there is space to park outside to unload/ load your car and then it is a short walk to the car park that they have an arrangement for £5 parking. Would definitely return.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Jane Riley
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

I stayed here for a long weekend with my wife and son. In contrast to other hotels in Birmingham, this hotel was more than willing to accommodate those travelling with a baby. The suite was exquisite, and was it was particularly useful to have the sleeping area well separated from the lounge. My son's cot was in a quiet and dark area, and my wife and I were able to enjoy the rest of the suite without disturbing him. The parking was indeed five pounds for the whole visit, a very reasonable price. If I would make one suggestion, a porter or a doorman to help with luggage would have been welcome. I see no reason to stay anywhere else in Birmingham, in fact my wife will probably insist on staying here from now on. The location is not perfect if you need to walk back from some venues across town late at night. Conversely, a quiet part of town does ensure a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: The suite we has was in a corner, a nice quiet place.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
Thanks for your review. I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we'll be able to welcome you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham very soon Kind regards Jane Riley
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

My wife and I stayed at "La Tour" over a weekend in September. It is a very modern, stylish building with very helpful staff and great rooms. We ate dinner in the restaurant Friday night which was delicious and reasonably priced. The bar and all public areas are nice. Breakfast selection was very good. This area of the center is currently undergoing considerable modernization, which is being done tastefully.
Great location for the BullRing with good shopping and dining. Easily walkable from Moor street station. New street railway station is close by and the new high speed rail link will be very close
The hotel is a little difficult to drive to due to the work going on and many one way systems, then parking at the NEC car park is VERY EXPENSIVE (Hotel has a discount with other parking, ask at reception. We did not use gym or other facilities. WiFi is available.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and I hope to see you on your next trip. Kind regards, Jane Riley
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

I usually stay at the Crown Plazza or Hyatt Regency but thought I would make a change and stay at the new La Tour in the city centre.

Opened in March 2012 the hotel is both stylish and modern. From the moment I walked through the door I sensed a relaxed friendly atmosphere. Check-in was easy and smooth and took just a matter of minutes.

My Standard room was ultra modern and comfortable with all the mod cons expected of a hotel - tea, coffee. hot chocolate making facilities, iron and hair dryer. The hotel has free wi-fi throughout, which was fast and reliable.

The staff were exceptionally friendly and seemed happy to be at work but at the same time were not intrusive in any way. I had forgotten my phone charger and was immediately supplied a replacement. I requested a change of room around 11pm as there were workmen outside making a noise. Within 10 minutes i was in a new room on the other side of the hotel. Nothing was too much of a problem.

The restaurant food - both evening and breakfast - was of very good quality as were the restaurant staff.

Overall, I would say this is probably one of the best hotels in Birmingham and well deserving of 5 stars and the great reviews and I would without hesitation stay again.

The only slight downside - but not worth marking it down - was the walk from the nearest car park, but hey, you cant have it all.

If you want peace and relaxation, stay at Hotel La Tour

Room Tip: (Worth checking the 'Offers' section on the hotel web site)
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Hotel La Tour Birmingham, despit the need to move rooms. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley