“Modern and clean hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel La Tour

Hotel La Tour
Ranked #9 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Modern and clean hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and thought it was immaculate and very smart both from the exterior and interior. Rooms are well equipped with the latest technology and gadgets. Only problem I found was the air con didn't seem to be very efficient and the room remained at 23 degrees for the duration of our stay.

The hotel is well located, within walking distance of the bullring shopping centre and all train stations.

Overall a great modern choice!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

From the design stage we worked hard to create and modern hotel with the latest technology to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable and comfortable stay at Hotel La Tour.

Our Air Conditioning is set so that it cannot go above or below a certain temperature however it seems in this instance that you have experienced an issue with the control panel in your bedroom. We shall investigate into this matter further and appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Should you return to Birmingham we hope to welcome you back.

Jane Riley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Thai first
Turriff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

This was a fab find ! Got a special deal through secret escapes.as I did the booking for four friends and my husband for a Friday- Sunday get away the pressure was on me to deliver.The rooms were lovely the restaurant was first class and even the staff were great.We arrived 7.45 pm the receptionist had us booked in and got us a table for 8.15pm in a very full restaurant ! She really looked after us .the food was excellent.next morning the same girl gave us information,booked taxi's gave directions really nothing was to much trouble for her,very impressed. We all said we would use this hotel again if we were in Birmingham again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for taking the time to respond on trip advisor.

It is fantastic to read you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay here with us after finding out about Hotel La Tour through Secret Escapes.

Being in our first year of trading we appreciate all positive feedback and it delights me to read you will stay with us again should you return to Birmingham.

As a team we will all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

Stayed here with my wife on a Saturday as an overnight treat and after hearing about this new arrival on the hotel scene in Birmingham. Very trendy but, possibly, a little too minimalist in the rooms. No drawer space and limited hanging space for clothes. Any couple staying here for a couple of nights or more would struggle with hanging/storage space for clothes. Lovely bathroom though and nice touch with heated panel on mirror so no misting up when in the shower. High tech in reception area with touch screen panels for booking in and checking out so this can be done very quickly. Selected email option for receipt, though, and I still haven't got it. Great deal for car parking in Selfridges car park at only £5 for any duration but silly directions. The car park is actually signposted Moor Street Car Park/Bull Ring so why they say Park Street I have no idea (and neither do the Hotel reception staff by the way!) Breakfast buffet was comprehensive but of average quality. Overall very average experience and we would probably go back to the Malmaison next time in Birmingham

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for taking the time to respond on trip advisor.

From your review it is clear to see that in certain areas we have met your expectations but over-all the design, layout and feel has not been suited to yourself this time round.

As with all comments shared we take them seriously and look into anything we can improve on here in Birmingham especially when it comes to directions to Moor Street car park which in my opinion are very easy to explain to guests however this needs to be re-addressed with our front of house team.

Over-all it disappoints me to read you have found your stay ‘average’ and as we settle in Birmingham in our first year of trading I hope you we may get the chance to demonstrate to you our improvements and that you might re-consider returning to Hotel La Tour in the future instead of choosing to stay with one of our competitors.

Thetford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

The first thing that you notice is that there is no huge reception desk as you enter, just a small desk with a very helpfull young man on. There are also about 3 or 4 self check in terminals. We were booked into an executive room which was excellent, lots of space, immaculately clean, everything needed for a very comfy stay. At breakfast the next morning there was plenty of choice, the only thing that let it down slightly was that the food was being kept warm on hot trays which didn't seem very efficient. We found it better to wait until they bought out fresh food as it was still hot rather than luke warm. But overall this is a lovely hotel and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Many thanks for your recent review on Trip Advisor

I am glad you found our rooms, design and layout to be excellent with a particular mention to our housekeeping standards.

With regards to your comments at breakfast on the morning, I fully appreciate what you have said and recognised that improvements needed to be made with regards to our breakfast offering.

I can confirm that since your review we have invested into our breakfast offering with the inclusion now of hot units to keep the cooked food at constant hot temperature.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour in the future.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

We stayed at Hotel La Tour for 2 nights this weekend, the hotel was easy to find from the station and in a great location for shopping.
The interior is very new, modern and clean looking, the hotel itself seems soulless with the lack of customers and the vast space and high ceilings. The front desk wasn’t very impressive, and the staff lacked on customer service skills, it looked like it was a concierge desk when we first walked in and it all felt a bit out of place right by the front doors.
The room was a good size and very nice decor, first impressions were excellent, however once we’d settled into our room it lacked many things I expect to find in a hotel room; Face flannel, shower cap and fridge etc. The bed has to be one of the most uncomfortable beds I’ve ever slept on, I had 2 nights of bad sleep. It was so bouncy and soft we both suffered backache and it felt as though we were on a water bed, if my boyfriend moved in the night, then so did I and the pillows were too firm as well. The temperature in the room was quite cold, even though we tried to turn up the heat it wouldn’t go past 24c and then the room still felt cold. The walk in shower was stunning but leaked really badly over the bathroom floor.
On the first night we booked a taxi through the hotel, when we went down to the reception desk to ask if our taxi had arrived the girl on front desk looked at us and shrugged saying we didn’t order the taxi with her, I explained that I spoke to a man on reception an hour before and he said he’d order a taxi for us at 8pm, again she just shrugged her shoulders and seemed disinterested so we went outside to speak to the taxi drivers to check if it had arrived, which is had thankfully.
All in all the hotel looks great and in an ideal location for shopping, but there are a few things missing and they definitely need to consider firmer beds. If we were to go back to Birmingham I would consider a different hotel, purely based on the sleep quality, everything else can be overlooked but 2 nights of bad sleep can’t.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank NCL19
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor.

Clearly from your comments you have made you believe we still have many areas to work on once you had checked into the hotel.

Although there are certain aspects of the design, layout and aesthetics of the hotel that will not appeal to everyone’s taste what I find most disappointing is your comments with regards to our team which we will investigate into further.

Many thanks once again for sharing your views and I hope we might have the chance to restore your faith in us in the future should you return to Birmingham.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night for £250 and to be honest wished I hadn’t. It was small but perfectly clean and the staff were friendly. However, I was sent to the pitch-black room without being told how to activate the electricity, so had to go back down to ask. The worst thing was that this was THE coldest hotel I have ever stayed in. One would have thought for £250, central heating would be thrown in. The management brought up a fan heater, but still…

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul K
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on trip advisor.

I can recall the weekend in question when these issues were brought to our attention and I understand the Nights team did all they can assist you. With that in mind though we did recognise there were areas of communication we could have improved on and clearly explain to you upon check-in the In-Room procedures.

Many Thanks

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

I purchased a groupon voucher for the restaurant and thought we may as well make a day/night of it so booked a room as well we booked an executive room with breakfast real value for money.
When arriving at the hotel earlier than check in time we were greeted by marco who was happy to see if the room was ready which it was then we were upgraded to a suite which was a lovely surprise we were then greeted by trey another guy behind reception who was lovely also asking us what we were doing for the weekend I told them it was my birthday so the upgrade was a nice treat.
Wow the room out of this world couldn't fault it even if I wanted to so clean and very modern the view of the bullring was amazing as I didn't have far to go shopping haha!!!
So after shopping what a way to relax nothing better than unwinding in a deep bath watching television sipping tea although you had the option of a glass of wine from our fridge complementary bottle of course but being pregnant this was my other option.
Ready to go down to the restaurant we stopped at the bar for a drink were we were greeted by Joanne very well presented lovely to talk to,we then headed to the Restaraunt sat at a table for two and had the best food ever six courses and I was so full I was then presented with a plate saying "Happy birthday!!" with some chocolates on lovely touch and then also given a small box of chocolates gift wrapped in a box the service here was of highest standard and quality.
Woke in the morning after the most amazing sleep I've had in a long time went down for breakfast were they do a buffet breakfast loads to choose from I had fruit to start which was fresh and then a full English which was amazing,we then checked out early to do a little bit more shopping and have to say I can't wait to come back again this is certainly a hotel I would recommend to family and friends and cannot wait to come back again this is a five star plus hotel for me and a huge pat on the back for all the staff that work there just incredible thank you for the most amazing stay!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your recent review on trip advisor.

It delights us to read about your comments and clearly from your arrival all the way through your stay until your departure our staff have excelled and helped to make your experience a memorable one.

Your comments will be shared with the team and we hope to see you back again in the future.

Many Thanks