“Superb”

Clayton Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #8 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 30 November 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night last weekend and as it was a special occasion we upgraded to a suite. The whole hotel has a feel of quality about it and the staff were really attentive and helpful.

The suite was wonderful, with a modern bedroom area and lounge area. Everything was spotlessly clean and we didn't hear any noise at all from outside or other rooms. The bathroom was great, with huge walk in shower and huge deep bath, quality fittings and lovely White Company toiletries.

Breakfast was also v nice.

The location was great as a short walk from Selfridges however it is in a run down area which is in the process of being developed and is not really close t the nightlife, so might not be for everyone. We used to live in Birmingham and know the area and were planning a quiet evening so didn't worry us.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 29 November 2012

Just spent a wonderful weekend at this fantastic city centre hotel !!!! The hotel was easy to find, it doesn't have its own parking but was able to park a few minutes away at Selfridges you get a reduced rate if you park there £5.00.

There is a check-in desk or self-service check-in or you can wait and the very helpful Reception staff are at hand with a smile and very helpful.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful immaculate, modern, great decor! The security in the hotel is good, you need to scan your door card to get through doors.

The room was lovely again immaculate, bathroom was lovely with a fantastic shower !!!

Breakfast was great, there was lots of choice brilliant!!! Lovely pastries a great choice of breads, fruit, cooked food everything anyone could ask for.

Finally the staff, well I don’t know where to start I was with my Daughter and she was on a training course so for 2 days from 9am until 5pm I spent the time on my own which I wasn’t looking forward too, but the staff at the hotel were just wonderful the customer service was first class from the wonderful Jane General Manager !! who acknowledges everyone and always stops for a chat to the lovely bar & reception staff.

If you are looking for a brilliant hotel with brilliant customer service look no further that the wonderful La Tour !!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Wow – thanks. It’s a challenging but rewarding job running a large hotel like this but we love it and, most of all, we love hearing how happy our guests are. Thanks for taking the time to post your views, I hope it will be helpful to others and it has certainly put a smile on our faces! Come back before too long – we’re always making changes so hopefully we’ll be able to delight you further next time round.It was nice meeting you and talking to you, Kind regards Jane Riley

Reviewed 28 November 2012

Stayed here for one night for a shopping trip to the Bullring. Ok, the hotel doesnt have parking but as we were shopping at the Bullring the next day we parked in Selfridges car park (just two minutes away) and stayed parked there whilst we shopped all the next day for just £5 which is a great deal! We were welcomed on arrival by a member of staff that promptly checked us in using the self service check in facility, all very nice and easy. Out city room was lovely and clean, modern and the bed very comfortable. I was impressed with the TV which had more channels than normal and you have a record facility too. The shower was fantastic! Probably the best hotel shower I've ever experianced. Didnt eat dinner at the hotel as we had reservations for a restaurant in Birmingham but I can say the breakfast was very nice. I've stayed many 5* hotels in the uk and abroad and I would say this hotel does deserve its 4* status and I would very happily stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

We are so grateful that you’ve taken the time to publish a review about your stay at Hotel La Tour. The whole team here at the hotel are always keen to read what our guests have to say about us and there will be lots of smiling faces after they’ve all seen your comments. It means a lot that you’ve passed this on so thankyou! Regards Jane Riley

Reviewed 27 November 2012

The hotel was easy to find, it doesn't have its own parking but there are plenty of car parks in the area. You get a reduced rate if you park in the car parks recommended on the website.

There is a check-in desk or self-service check-in. I have never used self-service check-in, at first I thought it was impersonal but there was very friendly staff to help and it was so quick and easy!

The hotel is clean and modern, great decor! The security in the hotel is good, you need to scan your door card to get through doors.

The room is fantastic, comfy bed, great black out curtains. The tv is great. I loved the bathroom, there was no bath but a lovely shower! I can't fault anything!

Breakfast was great, there is soooo much choice - brilliant!!! Lovely pastries, choice of breads, The only downside is that a member of staff goes around filling up tea and coffee cups, I would prefer a cafetiere or tea pot.

If you are staying in Birmingham I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Thank you to the staff at the Hotel La Tour!

Room Tip: Don't stand naked by the windows as people can see in, they are tinted but not that tinted!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 26 November 2012

High Tea in the lounge area is a must for any busy shopper who wants to rest their feet and be pampered. When we went, they were gearing up for Christmas and the wonderful uber cool Christmas decorations really added to the atmosphere. A cosy table for two overlooking the hustle and bustle of the city.
Delicious warm baked scones with jam and clotted cream, a selection of sandwiches and savouries and a tray of sweet treats all enjoyed with a choice of teas - or a cheeky gin and tonic if you need a pick me up! My guest is a coeliac and (with prior warning) they produced an amazing gluten free version which is usually so hard to come by.
We whiled a lazy afternoon away and thoroughly enjoyed the laid back ambience. I have enjoyed high tea in many places around the world and this is far better than some of the grander (and more expensive) venues - great value for money.
I've just re booked for my Fathers Birthday - so we will return!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad to hear you were so pleased with the quality of the food on the afternoon – Rachel our pastry chef, will be delighted to receive your feedback. We hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed here for one night only, as a special treat to ourselves (nights away from the kids are far and few between and very precious). The Hotel and it's staff cannot be faulted, they are so very friendly, helpful and cannot do enough to make your stay even more pleasurable.

The check in was painless, the rooms big, clean, very modern and comfortable with good views and the breakfast was also perfect - good choice of food, cooked and continental.

We also had 'High Tea' at the hotel, which was delicious and very filling - great food at a reasonable price.(loved the walnut whips and mini jaffa cake puds- yum)

As we travelled by train, we had no issues with car parking, the Hotel is less than five minutes walk form Birmingham New Street station and the Hotel were more than happy to store our bags both before and after check in - to save us
carrying them around the shops.
All in all a great hotel, fantastic location, friendly, professional staff with delicious food, next time we may try the cafe and restaurant... thank you Hotel la Tour x

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I hosted a 2-day business conference, so this feedback is from my own perceptions and delegate's feedback...
We liked: Central location; image of hotel; welcome & efficiency of staff; food range & quality; bedrooms - space, bed comfort & quality fittings; spacious/airy feel of conference rooms; coffee /snacks available to help yourself; AV equipment & comprehensive range of equipment included; flexibility of staff to meet our needs & their comitment to pleasing us; good value.
Less good: No on-site parking (forgiveable if the rain hadn't been hammering down on departure); reception staff handling of delegate with item of lost property.
Overall: You'd have to search hard to do better than hold your event here.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and I are so pleased that you enjoyed your experience at Hotel La Tour. We have worked hard to develop a hotel that our guests will love and have changed much about what we do through customer feedback, I am aware of your collegues lost property issue and know this has been resolved. Please come and see us again soon. Kind regards Jane Riley