“OK”

Clayton Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #8 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I have been watching the development of the East side with interest having grown up not far from Birmingham, So......
When my wife told me that we were going to La Tour for my 40th I was delighted. The hotel looks amazing and the technology is impressive. Check in is automated,slick and easy. We (she) had booked a "executive" room and it was fine. Nothing special, but fine. Pleased we did not have a standard room. There were no bath robes or mini bar which you would expect in a new 4 star hotel.
When I was told we had a reservation in the restaurant I suggested we go elsewhere as I had heard very mixed reviews. So we ate in a different part of the city.
After dinner we returned to the hotel and had a drink in the bar. The cocktail waiter was amazing and all was good!
Now to the sleep quality......
Not good. The mattress was no better than a budget hotel and the pillows were exceptionally hard. The AC did not get cold so the room was like an oven.Not conducive to a good nights sleep.
I travel weekly on business and I would not be happy with this hotel. There are many more comfortable places to stay in this price range.
Quite disappointed as I expected so much more.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Hotel La Tour, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At Hotel La Tour, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.
I am surprised about your comments about the comfort of the bed and pillows as this is an area we took a long time ensuring we got right and I am disappointed that you didn’t feel the same as many of our guests and for this I can only apologise. With regard to the heating/cooling I have done some investigating and it appears there was an issue that has now been rectified. I would like to assure you that customer service and delivering great memories is the number one focus at Hotel La Tour and I would very much like to discuss the matter with you in person and would appreciate it if you would call me on 0121 718 8000. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 7 April 2013

My husband and I arrived at Hotel La Tour during the week as mini-moon experience and were truly left relaxed after such a hectic week. The service upon arrival was professional and friendly. We were treated to an upgrade to the suite, which may have been due to not having full capacity on a weekday. The suite was absolutely amazing!! To enter you have to hover your card over an electronic plate on the wall, the high tech gadgets didn't just stop there!! You can control lighting and heating on a device on the wall as well as being able to control from the comfort of your own bed through the interactive telephone system. The suite itself had a very comfy bed, with ample storage from the wardrobes. The living area was comfortable, the tv was mounted on the wall inbetween the bed and living area, you're able to swivel the tv depending on where you wanted to sit/relax. The most amazing aspect of the suite?? Is definitely the bathroom; double shower with fountain shower head as well as a normal one. Products included items from the White Company which was a nice touch. And finally the bathtub...soooo deep and wide with a tv at one end!! Overall I loved every minute if staying at this hotel and will definitely be returning soon!!

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves and the care and attention gone into the design of the hotel has not gone unnoticed. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

Some of the central city hotels in Birmingham, especially those in the Broad Street area are busy all year round because of the large number of conferences, concerts and conventions.
However they command high prices for accommodation and bar prices are just ridiculous.

Not so in the Hotel La Tour - the hotel is very new and everything I experienced was first class. From the delightful and friendly receptionists to the room and bar.

The rooms are extremely well finished and immaculately clean.
A high level of comfort and well equipped.
The bar is an asset too. A wide selection of beers and lagers plus a full spirit and cocktail selection. No stupid prices though. No more for a pint of very well presented draught Bass than your local pub.

Just out of the chaos of the main hotel area it is a great place to stay.

Very good value at £85.00 for a large City view room.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and felt we were great value for money we look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at Hotel la Tour twice now and find it fabulous and very good value for money. It is smart, modern and spacious. Rooms are well apointed and clean. The bar is well represented with a number of options to suit all tastes. We did not dine in the evening at the restaurant but did so for breakfast. Breakfast was well catered giving a wide selection via a buffet style self service. Only downside at the moment is good parking nearby and location. The hotel falls within a developing part of East Birmingham, which when the HS2 train terminal is built will explode with new development placing the hotel in a prime location. Parking is via several developed and undeveloped car parks nearby which the hotel gives a discounted price for. This is now my hotel of choice when visiting Birmingham.

• Stayed: April 2013

It was a great pleasure to welcome you to Hotel La Tour Birmingham during your recent stay. Thanks very much for all your positive comments. We look forward to seeing you next time. It is are aim to make Hotel La Tour everyones hotel of choice in the city so thank you for joining our club. Kind regards Jane Riley

Reviewed 5 April 2013

Staying here in a few weeks time so cannot commet yet about the stay, however it has been first class in customer service from reservations (Tracy). Able to answer my queries promptly and efficiently. Looking forward to the stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your pre arrival review! i think that is a first for me. I will pass your comments to Tracy and we all look forward to welcoming you. Regrds Jane Riley

Reviewed 3 April 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a fabulous stay at this hotel. They arranged brilliant seats for us to see Phantom of the opera and a taxi to get us there. We had an executive room which was immaculate and the food was outstanding. The staff were extremely polite and were on hand the whole time to answer questions and to make our stay enjoyable. We shall certainly be returning.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham, This is the first time we have run a package like the Phantom one and due to the positive responses we have now scheduled more for later in the year. I have passed on your comments to the team and I hope we can welcome you back soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Despite the walk from the car park we enjoyed this modern new hotel and OK checking in was a little frustrating given as once you got through the electronic questions on one of the new checking in machines found the credit card swiping machine was broken so the old fashioned manual way had to be used and therefore turned the process into rather a long bemusing ordeal. The bar had been advertised as a 24 hour experience and given that a mini bar was missing from the rooms we decided to give it a try, alas we should not have tried it at midnight (after a night at local restaurant) as one of the bar staff who was tidying informed us we would have to wait for the night porter. We could not decide how long the piece of string was so we elected to turn in, we just got the feeling a little more training for the slightly naive but very friendly bar staff might help, Would we stay again, yep we would the hotel had a stylish friendly feel to it at a competitive price but we might bring a little tipple next time!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for posting a review about your time here at La Tour. Clearly we didn’t delight you as much as we would have hoped. We are building a product for our customers today and with this we are very open to listening to our customers and learning about what they think will make us the number one venue in Birmingham so thank you for your feedback. Kind regards Jane Riley