“Well furnished City Centre hotel”

Clayton Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #8 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I stay at the La Tour regularly and find it very comfortable, friendly, with a very high spec of equipment and furnishings. The rooms are modern and the gadgets take a little while to work out but I do find they work well - the computerised check in system makes life simpler and avoids any queues at peak times, there is a good gym and the food is good but a bit overpriced. I can't fault the service, the La Tour team work really hard to address any issues - i had 2 members of the management team in the gym trying to sort the TV out within minutes of me moaning about it not working!

Room Tip: They're all good!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and your other previous visits at Hotel La Tour Birmingham Adrian and myself look forward to welcoming you back again soon, but hopefully not in the gym fixing the television. Kind regards, Jane Riley.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,555)

Reviewed 2 May 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights as a treat and to do some shopping in Birmingham and what a treat staying here was!

Parking costs just £5 pounds in a local car park right near the hotel so thats for 24 hours or 3/4/5 days regardless if you leave it parked up.

I stayed in room 702 7th floor overlooking the Bullring in a exec room, The room was spotlessly clean and the staff could not say or do enough to make you feel welcome and at home here so I really don't understand some of the bad reviews on this hotel.

Just a minor gripe though.

Opened my bedroom door on night 2 of my stay and no newspaper as requested and paid for (so you think no big deal and go to breakfast) Only to find a rather strange looking couple in a room on the same floor at breakfast had helped themselves to it and there at the breakfast table reading it bold as brass (It had my room number on front page how I never said something i do not know) But one does have to question if you can't afford 55p for a paper what are you doing staying in La Tour?

The staff and myself had a good giggle about this though that was refreshing.

I still don't understand though why they never offered me a free 7 night stay to recover from my traumatic experience :-)

Room Tip: Stay on the 7th floor overlooking the bull ring :-)
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves and your sense of humour does appeal to me! I hope we refunded your 55p. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 1 May 2013

Just returned from another visit to Hotel La Tour where we enjoyed Show stopper package. Great value for money! This must be the best hotel in Birmingham , staff are exceptional, food is terrific and the rooms are spotless . Many thanks to Karen for making our time there so special . We will be back!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jethen

Hasn't time flown since December and your last visit. The whole team at Hotel La Tour Birmingham are working hard to deliver excellent customer service so it's particularly welcome to hear you had such a great time yet again , it is always harder to impress the second time around: I'll make sure your comments are passed on to Karen and look forward to welcoming you again soon. Kind regards Jane Riley

Reviewed 1 May 2013

Excellent hotel, rooms were fantastic really comfortable with all the necessary mod cons. The restaurant food was superb. The staff were all so nice and helpful. Great shopping a few minutes away at the bullring, will be returning in the near future.

Room Tip: Park at Selfridges, get your ticket stamped by the hotel and then it only costs a fiver.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kate b

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and I hope we can welcome you back soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 29 April 2013

Perfect stay in this modern city centre hotel. All the staff have a genuine friendly attitude at all times which really makes this place special. Good sized room with lovely bathroom (great shower!) and all amenities you're likely to need. Also, lovely bar (the afternoon tea looked great, though we didn't try) and a great restaurant where we had an excellent (and very good value) Sunday lunch, though just a shame word doesn't seem to have got out as was a little quiet when we ate.
Would happily return when back in Birmingham.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ds1001
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

It was a great pleasure to welcome you to Hotel La Tour Birmingham during your recent stay. Thanks very much for all your positive comments about the showers, Sunday lunch and the Bar. We look forward to seeing you next time. Regards Jane Riley

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Just spent 3 nights at the Hotel La Tour. It is very modern and beautifully finished. I am a bad sleeper so a bit concerned about the traffic noise. I needn't have worried! When I booked the staff listened and put us in a room away from lifts, and communal potentially noisy areas. But the sound insulation is amazing- both from outside and internally. No traffic noise, even though we were on only the 2nd floor, and no sounds in between the rooms. The quietest hotel I have ever stayed at. The bathroom has a great shower and the towels are lovely and large. You can set your own idividual lighting and room temperature.
Breakfast was good - although (a small niggle) putting cereals on the bar makes it a bit tricky for short people like me to see what you want and the toaster is not in the easiest place. The bar in the evening was elegant and great piano player. My one negative comment is that it feels a little impersonal -the staff, although polite and efficient , could make more of greeting the customers and being a touch more friendly.
Great location- a few minutes' walk from the station and so close to central shops, restaurants etc.
I would definitely stay here again when visiting Birmingham.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sue S

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham, there was along thought process when designing the bedrooms to ensure we got it right for our guests and we are glad it has not gone un notice.We are also glad to hear you enjoy the entaintment, hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Upon on arrival check in was very efficient, polite and professional, The hotel and our room was spotlessly clean and very modern throughout, the curtains are of the best I have ever encountered in any hotel.. in that they really do block out all the light.

Breakfast was of an exceptionally high standard with a wide choice of both hot and cold foods and the breakfast staff very attentative.

The hotels location is ideal, in close proximity to shopping areas and train stations

As for the problems encountered... when I got to the room the dimmers for the lights did not work, I informed reception, they said they would send maintenance to sort it, two hours later and still no one came, I informed reception again, maintenance looked into it and found it to be faulty, we were offered an alternative room... which we moved to, only to find the same problem again. so I gave up and accepted the fact that Hi-tech gadgets are susceptible to problems

Disappointed to find no fridge in the room, as others have pointed out.. you would expect to find one in a 4* hotel... given though there is a space for one

Disappointed with the quality of the pillows and the duvet, natural fillings as opposed to man made would have been more comfortable for guests and would have otherwise ensured me a good nights sleep as well as being in keeping with the high standards this hotel strive to achieve, perhaps the hotel could look into this and also offer a pillow menu to satisfy the comforts of all guests ?

In all fairness, I would have rated this hotel 5 out of 5 had there not been a few issues

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

Thank you for posting your thoughts, we really value your feedback, and I will investigate your comments regarding the bedding. I hope I have an opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham. Kind regards, Jane Riley