“No mobile. No wifi.”

Ranked #9 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Kendal
“No mobile. No wifi.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed recently (30/6/13). Lovely new hotel, comfortable room (516 I think ) with good amenities. However, I found it almost unbelievable that in central Birmingham there was no mobile internet signal (EE), or the hotel construction blocks the signal. Equally maddening, in a new hotel with obvious and welcome investment in tech, there was no wifi signal in our room. We spent the evening with our son, had no urgent need for the internet and enjoyed our stay, but would have been seriously annoyed if we had needed the internet. We switched all our devices on and off and there was no improvement. It is a shame that a hotel so good in other ways is let down by this. It's as if in days gone by the Savoy only had hot water in some rooms (sorry, the boiler can't pump the water to that end of the building!) Ask for a room with a good wifi signal and ideally mobile signal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the wifi and/or mobile signals are adequate, if you need them. There are wired...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback, both mobile and wi if signals are being addressed and you should see a marked improvement in the near future. regards Jane Riley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Thai first
helmshore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed at Hotel Latour on a Friday evening a couple of weeks ago. The hotel is wonderfully warm and welcoming and the reception staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious , contemporary and very well equipped. The breakfast service and selection of food was excellent - again the staff were lovely. About a week after my return, I realised I had left a dress in the room - I phoned the hotel to see if it had been found. Not only had the housekeeping staff found my dress and kept it to one side, the lovely receptionist offered to post it to me. I asked if they would let me know the postage cost so that I could reimburse the hotel but she would not hear of it. Three days later, my dress arrived at my home. Hotel Latour's customer service is fantastic and coupled with a great hotel and restaurant made our stay very special.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review. I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and you have been reunited with your dress, hope we'll be able to welcome you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham very soon. Regards Jane Riley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

The hotel is modern and very spacious yet has a warm, grown up feel in the public areas. We visited to use the bar after a dinner at another restaurant in Birmingham. Wanting a few properly mixed cocktails to round off the evening, the Hotel La Tour crew were able to oblige. Although not an extensive menu, the bar staff were very knowledgable and happy to make suggestions for drinks not on the list. Graham who served us was friendly and offered service that went beyond expectations. My wife was drinking non alchoholic drinks and Graham suggested some novel and very creative alternatives for her that didn't leave her feeling left out when we were exploring the other options on the menu. The icing on the cake was live music played at a perfect volume to allow conversation but provide terrific atmosphere. We'll be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Glad you had a good time at Hotel La Tour Birmingham! I have passed your comments on to Graham Hope to see you again. Kind regards, Jane Riley
St Austell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Went to Birmingham on business and a member of our team had researched the hotel and and this was an excellent find. We were made to feel welcome even before we arrived with an reminder e-mail just before the trip with helpful advice. The parking in Selfridges car park was an excellent deal. From checking in to checking out the service was faultless and genuine. The rooms were well designed, comfortable and well equipped. We ate in the Alto restaurant and were very surprised by the standards of food and service, an excellent meal. All in all a very pleasureable experience. Travelling regularly for business I would definitely look to stay here again and can't wait for them to open more - I hear Manchester's next.!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour. Kind regards, Jane Riley
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Lived in Birmingham my whole life and seen many changes. This hotel is heading in the right direction with the interior very simplistic and chic. The exterior is neat too. Everything is very forward thinking technology wise with the LED bedside lights and media hub in the rooms so you can plug just about anything in. Bed are exceptionally comfortable with nice filled pillows.Towels are nice and soft. Breakfast has everything you could want but I suggest they make sure the ham slices are covered especially when it's hot the flies are more than happy to go there. Wish I could have had dinner because the food looked amazing. No really complaints just hope the rest of Birmingham moves in the same direction.

• Stayed July 2013
Glad to hear I feel we are an asset to the city-we think so to- thank you for your feedback and your kind comments. Hope to see again soon and maybe for dinner next time. Regards Jane Riley
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed at the Hotel La tour on the 6/7/2013 and can’t express how amazing this hotel is. I work in luxury travel and have been lucky enough to have stayed at some excellent hotels, but this is really right up there.

From the quality of the rooms, the friendly service to the dinner in the restaurant, everything was superb. We stayed in an executive room and the personal touches are very nice. You get white company products, you can listen to music via the room speakers and when we had a slight issue with our aircon, the maintenance man was with us in 5 minutes to fix the problem.

The whole time we were there the staff were helpful, courteous and very well trained. I’m sorry I don’t remember names but everyone who was working on the 6/7 and the 7/7 thank you for making our stay a memorable one (they even had an IPhone charger for me as I’d forgotten mine).

So if you’re thinking about a trip to Birmingham then the Hotel La Tour is a must stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
The whole team at Hotel La Tour Birmingham are working hard to deliver excellent customer service so it's particularly welcome to hear you had such a great time: I'll make sure your comments are passed on. Regards Jane Riley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Bought a night with an Amazon voucher on the strength of the trip advisor reviews and asked for a room on the other side from the main road as someone advised. I don't know if mentioning tripadvisor made a difference but service and standards were great from the informative emails, to arrival, the restaurant and departure.

A really comfy bed and pillows and the quality of our evening meal and breakfast were well worth the money. High tech room great fun and echo previous comments. Love the tv speaker in the bathroom with independent volume control. Finally found the plug control on the back of the tap. Apparently they are working on the leak over the sill of the otherwise excellent shower but a well placed towel or not spending 20+ minutes under the lovely hot water with the luxurious white company complimentary products will stop the tiles getting too wet. Finally, loved the hidden details like the heated area on the large bathroom mirror which leaves a condensation free space more than big enough for shaving etc. I think ours was an executive room; not sure if cheaper rooms have a lower spec. Thanks again to ALL the great staff for making our stay in Birmingham so special.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley.