“Wedding Night” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Brighton
“Wedding Night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Initially I had great expectations for this hotel from the contact made prior to check in. I arranged for a friend to check me in as I was coming straight from my wedding. Upon arrival nobody offered to take us or our luggage to the room. For the amount we paid this would have been nice.
The room itself was amazing, hallway, bathroom on the left with large walk in shower and bath with a TV at the end. The room was a suite and had a living room area with nice sofas and huge flat screen TV. The bedroom area was nice, quite spacious and had an espresso machine automatic lit wardrobe area.
Room service was bad! There was a trolley charge for things to be brought up to the room, We ordered some evening snacks and after an hour I rang to enquire where it was. I was told they'd check. After 10-15 minutes I called back to be told the food is on the way. Upon arrival 3 members of staff entered the room and offered the food as complimentary as the food was initially dropped outside our room.
We were not informed of this when it happened and just had to wait. When the order arrived it was wrong. I had to wait another 15 minutes for the correct dish to be brought up. We had drinks and they didn't think of giving us new glasses and fresh ice as it had melted when they brought it up first time. Their excuse was it was a new starter, my reasoning was for the amount we're paying they should have got it right.
The address of Albert street leads people a dead end, Park Street gave people the front of the hotel. On the plus side, me and my wife had a card congratulating us on our wedding. The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from New Street and city centre shops. I'd stay here again if the service was better and they got rid of the room service charge.
Also the better part of the hotel is the side facing the front I think.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thanks for posting a review about your time here at La Tour. Clearly we didn’t delight you as much as we would have hoped. We are building a product for our customers today and with this we are very open to listening to our customers and learning about what they think will make us the number one venue in Birmingham so thank you for your feedback. Kind regards Jane Riley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

We came here on a Saturday afternoon having booked in for afternoon tea.
The waitress was really helpful and attentive, we wanted a bit of wine and it surprisingly wasnt too steep.
The decor was fab and we were put in 2 huge armchairs which were amazingly comfy.
The afternoon tea was absolutely brilliant, especially the addition of the toast and Welsh rarebit with the sandwiches! Overall brilliant.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Really glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea experience, please try dinner next time you are in the area. Regards Jane Riley
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

stunning hotel - rooms very nice with walk in showers

beds and pillows very comfy - you can just tell its quality

breakfast is outstanding with staff being very helpful and polite

parking is in Selfridges which is about 5 mins walk fore £5 for 24 hours!!! you just cant beat that

i would gladly stay here again - only £90 per room including breakfast

Room Tip: if you have the top floor there are stunning views and the lifts are quick
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. We're really pleased you decided to give us a try and that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again very soon :) regards Jane Riley
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

This hotel is very modern, with large shiny, blacked out windows so you can’t see inside, which makes it look rather imposing. It’s set in a somewhat run-down area, opposite some wasteland and an ugly 70s style car park, handy in some ways as the hotel has no parking of its own.

It didn’t appeal to me as somewhere to stay overnight as it was too impersonal, however I was only there for a conference, and for that purpose it was very good. The conference facilities, toilets and meeting rooms were numerous and of a particularly high quality. The meeting rooms had large floor to ceiling windows that gave great natural light (although views were only of the car park!). The staff were helpful, the air conditioning was excellent and the seating in the conference rooms was extremely comfortable.

The buffet lunch was only average, although I must say the coffee was excellent, with fine beans that were ground and cooked as part of the coffee making process.

Overall, great for the businessman, but not for the holidaymaker.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
thank you very much for your feedback regarding our conference felicities I am pleased your enjoyed them. hope to see you again soon. Regards Jane Riley
Kendal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed recently (30/6/13). Lovely new hotel, comfortable room (516 I think ) with good amenities. However, I found it almost unbelievable that in central Birmingham there was no mobile internet signal (EE), or the hotel construction blocks the signal. Equally maddening, in a new hotel with obvious and welcome investment in tech, there was no wifi signal in our room. We spent the evening with our son, had no urgent need for the internet and enjoyed our stay, but would have been seriously annoyed if we had needed the internet. We switched all our devices on and off and there was no improvement. It is a shame that a hotel so good in other ways is let down by this. It's as if in days gone by the Savoy only had hot water in some rooms (sorry, the boiler can't pump the water to that end of the building!) Ask for a room with a good wifi signal and ideally mobile signal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the wifi and/or mobile signals are adequate, if you need them. There are wired...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your valuable feedback, both mobile and wi if signals are being addressed and you should see a marked improvement in the near future. regards Jane Riley
helmshore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed at Hotel Latour on a Friday evening a couple of weeks ago. The hotel is wonderfully warm and welcoming and the reception staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious , contemporary and very well equipped. The breakfast service and selection of food was excellent - again the staff were lovely. About a week after my return, I realised I had left a dress in the room - I phoned the hotel to see if it had been found. Not only had the housekeeping staff found my dress and kept it to one side, the lovely receptionist offered to post it to me. I asked if they would let me know the postage cost so that I could reimburse the hotel but she would not hear of it. Three days later, my dress arrived at my home. Hotel Latour's customer service is fantastic and coupled with a great hotel and restaurant made our stay very special.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your review. I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and you have been reunited with your dress, hope we'll be able to welcome you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham very soon. Regards Jane Riley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

The hotel is modern and very spacious yet has a warm, grown up feel in the public areas. We visited to use the bar after a dinner at another restaurant in Birmingham. Wanting a few properly mixed cocktails to round off the evening, the Hotel La Tour crew were able to oblige. Although not an extensive menu, the bar staff were very knowledgable and happy to make suggestions for drinks not on the list. Graham who served us was friendly and offered service that went beyond expectations. My wife was drinking non alchoholic drinks and Graham suggested some novel and very creative alternatives for her that didn't leave her feeling left out when we were exploring the other options on the menu. The icing on the cake was live music played at a perfect volume to allow conversation but provide terrific atmosphere. We'll be back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Glad you had a good time at Hotel La Tour Birmingham! I have passed your comments on to Graham Hope to see you again. Kind regards, Jane Riley