“Great Hotel”
Review of Hotel La Tour

Hotel La Tour
Ranked #8 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We only stayed one night as we were going to see The Lion King at the Hippodrome. The hotel is within an easy walk to the theatre and also the Bull Ring shopping area. There isn't a car park but there is a big dropping off area at the front and the hotel have a good arrangement for parking in the Selfridges car park, £5 for however long you are staying as long as you don't move your car. The car park again is only a short walk away. Staff were friendly and helpful, the room had everything we needed and didn't smell of stale smoke like older hotels. Breakfast was good with lots of choice, wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. Great news we now have a car park!! I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed in room 614 for 2 nights during July.

The hotel is located on within a gyratory system close to the city centre. There is no parking on site but there is a drop-off area that is handy. The hotel provides subsidised car parking within the Selfridges complex. Parking as a result costs £5 per stay so as we didn't use the car during the period we paid just £5.

The hotel feels recently built and very modern with an atrium at reception along with a bar and restaurant with a fitness centre on the first flor.

Our room was 614 which was quiet. It had a large bed, big flat screen TV, time limited wifi and a big walk-in shower that did the job. Very comfortable especially with aircon during the hot spell. The view was a bit limited as the room faced a block of luxury flats.

In terms of location, whilst it is not a right in the centre it is just a short uphill walk to the Bull Ring and the major shopping and eating experiences. If you become tired and emotional from all the shopping opportunities it is all downhill to the Hotel.

We dined in the restaurant on the first evening. The food was reasonable but this is a business hotel which caters for the lonely diner rather than couples. The second night we ate at Jamie's which was packed and lively with reasonably well priced and unpretentious food. The bar at the hotel is welcomed and we drank there after our excursions in and around the city centre. Our deal was room only so we ate in the City Centre with the best value breakfast being provided by Selfridges.

Birmingham for us was a welcomed and unexpected experience with loads to see - National Trust Back to Backs, the Jewellery Quarter and Museum, the Canal with all the city centre development plus the city centre - all could be done on foot which is what we wanted.

From our experiences we would return to both Birmingham and the Hotel La Tour . Thnka you.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PeteD60

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 15 August 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel for business purposes. It has everything you need in the room as a business traveller re connection for phone laptop.
The hotel is located well near moor st station and also not far from New Street Station and Bullring shopping centre.

1  Thank ashy12348

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Hotel La Tour Birmingham. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I spent one night at La Tour hotel in Birmingham in August.

Arrival was very late, but the check-in went smoothly, my room was very nice and everyhting worked in the room as expected. I got the impression the hotel was rather new.

What was special and veeeeery nice, was the the bar on 1st floor was open 24/7 for hotel guests! So arriving to the hotel at midnight and having the possibility of enjoying a beer and an excellent ham sandwich while checking my emails in the bar was definitely a big bonus for the hotel.

Check-out went smoothly as well, but unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to check out the gym, but there is one though. Also, what I especially like is that the corridors were well lit, which is a quality I always like.

If I return to Birmingham, I will most likely stay at this hotel again.

1  Thank Totti K

Glad you had a good time at Hotel La Tour Birmingham! Hope to see you again. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 14 August 2013

A two night stay whilst working in Birmingham. hotel is just round the corner from the Birmingham Courts so excellent location, a matter of minutes to get to the City Centre.

The hotel is beautifully decorated. Very contemporary and stylish. Rooms are spacious and spotlessly clean. Lovely hot powerful shower. My only gripe is that my mattress was rather too firm and I did wake up a couple of times with a sore back.

But my word, this place comes alive in the restaurant. I had rump of lamb, gorgeous succulent tender lamb, perfectly cooked, really pink and matched with minted peas and mange tout and a lovely sauce. Cheeseboard to follow which was excellent, especially the rustic, slightly viscous goats cheese. This food wasn't just churned out, the chef clearly put a bit of his soul into it. Oh and man you must come and try the plate of chocolate truffles. Mmmmmmmmm.

My second night I just had the burger and chips from the bar menu but this was equally excellent. A juicy, rare and tasty burger complimented by a tangy coleslaw and crisp lettuce.

My rate per night was £78. This was outstanding value for the excellent food, good room and delightful service that I received.

2  Thank Brian R

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourself. You are right Dan ( head chef) does put his heart and soul into everything that comes out of the kitchen and he will be delighted you noticed his efforts. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour, and hope we are now your hotel of choice in Birmingham Kind regards, Jane Riley

lovely clean hotel.
excellent modern bathroom and room facilities.
Lovely breakfast.
comfortable bed.
2 minutes walk from the train station and The bullring shops
nice gym
quiet bar area for quick drinks
well equiped room with coffee making facilites and safe

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank norhtern-lass

Thank you for your review. We're really pleased you decided to give us a try and that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again very soon :)

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed at Hotel La Tour with my best friend, her young daughter and mine, whilst visiting the Think Tank Museum and Cadbury World last Thursday and Friday. This hotel is a credit to the management and their team. We were waited on by courteous, friendly, attentive staff, our bedrooms were immaculate, quiet and the food, ... absolutely superb. - So much so, we squeezed in a full dinner, after a gorgeous lunch and took breakfast the next morning!!! I would certainly recommend this hotel and, look forward to returning, with a combined shopping trip to the Bull Ring, which is less than a five minute walk away. Truly a fantastic find, exceeding Michelin and AA rosette premises we have dined at, over the years. Well done all!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

WOW Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and food at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley.