“Fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel La Tour
Ranked #10 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We booked an executive room for 1 night at £80 including breakfast for two. This was an absolute bargain considering it was so close to the city centre. I requested a quiet room with a view, a surprise night our for my husband's birthday. This was granted no problems, the room was spacious and very comfortable. Staff were also really friendly and validated our bullring car park ticket so that we would only have to pay £5 when exiting (no matter how long you are parked for).

The only issue I would say we had was the in room heating control. It was set at 23 degrees which was balmy during the evening, but too hot to sleep at night. I got up twice to reduce this, but after both occasions I noticed that the temperature would go back up again. We turned this off in the end and had no further issues. On reflection, we should have mentioned this to staff on checkout in case it needed checking.

Breakfast was also plentiful with good variety. Would definitely stay here again!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. Next time you are here please let us know about any issues you may have -like the one with the heating you experienced- and we can sort them while you are still here, I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Thai first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We booked this hotel on a Secret Escapes deal to go Christmas Shopping and we were not disappointed. It is very convenient for the city centre shopping areas, about a 5 minute walk. The self serve check in wasn't working and had to check in the 'normal' way with a bit of a que but the staff were friendly. The executive room was modern and roomy with a very comfy bed. We drank in the bar which had a really nice atmosphere and the prices were what you'd expect to pay in a city centre. The only disappointment was that we had to que and wait whilst tables were cleared for breakfast. We then had to ask for our tea and coffee which they had forgotten and ask for the hot breakfast trays to be refilled so we could help ourselves. The service was very poor but the food was nice.

Room Tip: Room 601 is an executive room with a city view
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting your thoughts, we really value your feedback, and I will investigate your comments regarding breakfast and the service. I hope I have an opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham. Kind regards, Jane Riley
London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Stayed one night in a City room. All the signs were promising from the website to the reception area on arrival but overall, I would say this place is overpriced and needs to pay more attention to important details. They've got the style right in terms of decor but there is little of substance to back it up i.e. room well designed, good size, tasteful decor but spoiled by badly made bed, dirty shower, cold and poor quality room service food (also overpriced); check-in machines that don't work, non-existent cafe despite advertising and signage. Certainly not a bad hotel, but not up to the standard for the price asked.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Thanks for posting a review about your time here at La Tour. Clearly we didn’t delight you as much as we would have hoped. We are building a product for our customers today and with this we are very open to listening to our customers and learning about what they think will make us the number one venue in Birmingham so thank you for your feedback. Kind regards Jane Riley
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

The only reason this hotel doesn't get an excellent rating from me is because I had to get 3 room cards and some of the in room technology didn't work. This may sound picky but for a hotel which seems to major on technology it was a flaw.

Check in was a self service electronic process which whilst looking intimidating was quite easy. Your room card is produced as part or the process. Don't loose your card as it is the only way you can access the room corridors.

I had a suite on the 4th floor. The room was excellent, 3 flat screen TV,s very comfortable bed, complimentary wine and chocolates, fantastic bathroom with walk in rainwater shower and large bath, complete with champagne glasses. A really pleasant experience with the WOW factor.

I didn't use the restaurant but the bar was very very good.

The hotel is within a 10 minute walk of The BullRing and the city centre.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for posting your thoughts, we really value your feedback, and I will investigate your comments regarding the IT systems with my team. I hope I have an opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham. Kind regards, Jane Riley
Tunbridge Wells
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

I'd carefully examined the evidence, all the signs looked really positive. I was going to arrive late to I decided to reward myself with a suite, after all 4 hours on the motorway network in the dark can be pretty soul destroying. I'd phoned ahead to ask if they could fit me in in the restaurant..."no problem" was the response - "as long as you get here before 21:45". I managed to arrive at 21:30. The car park situation was confusing to say the least. No lighting, locked gates it was reminiscent of the local compound at the police station. I had to abandon my vehicle to seek advice - this cost me an extra 10 minutes before a hotel worker unlocked the gates (leaving me alone in the dark). I finally arrived in the restaurant at 21.50 to be completed blanked and then told it was shut. After appealing the manager appeared and allowed me to take my seat. This is despite being "booked in" by reception. Three very mediocre courses followed with a £9 glass of wine. I went to bed again to be disappointed with the "suite" When you are paying more than £200 you expect more refinement and luxury. HlT is not a luxury hotel, it's a run of the mill city centre crash pad. My bed was very small forcing me to sleep diagonally - work up feeling grumpy. Needs to improve on many levels to tempt me back.

Room Tip: The suite is not a suite - it's like a toblerone
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Hotel La Tour, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. At Hotel La Tour, we strive to provide a superior service and product experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I am sorry to hear we wont be your hotel of choice in Birmingham for future stays.
We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel La Tour, Birmingham and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience. Regards Jane Riley
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

we booked this hotel for a weekend break to take in the Christmas market and do some Xmas shopping. Our first choice of hotel was booked up, but we will definitely be using this hotel again. the location of the hotel for the shops and market was a 5-10 minute walk. The staff were so friendly and helpful and the rooms were very comfortably furnished and very modern with wifi available. The only reason i haven't given the room 5 stars is due to the view from the window (on booking it states a city view and ours was over a street). Breakfast was fresh, hot and plentiful. We chose to eat in the restaurant on our second day after a busy day in the city and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Jane Riley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Just left Birmingham after a 3 day business trip, the La Tour was comfortable and certainly well located.The Hotel is tastefully decorated, the rooms of a generous size and the staff are courteous and helpful.Breakfast was of a good quality and the gym was a great way to unwind!.Recommended

Stayed November 2013
I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and I hope we can welcome you back soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley