“Afternoon tea with friend and daughter”

Clayton Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #9 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 6 April 2014

A wonderful Sunday afternoon at Hotel La Tour: the afternoon tea was good but what made it special was the unlimited hot drinks and the reasonably priced cocktails. I took my young daughter with us and, as well as a pot of tea, she had a hot chocolate. Yes, I liked it. The service was very personal and friendly. There was live music and a great atmosphere. We were asked on three separate occasions if everything was fine and I get the impression that nothing wa too much trouble.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you for your kind review of your most recent afternoon tea in Alvar Bar. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed listening to the live music and how much you appreciated the service from our team. It is also a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the sandwiches, scones and cakes and I very much look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Regards Jane Riley

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed for one night only but from the moment we arrived until we left every member of staff was just great. Friendly and helpful from reception to bar to chambermaids to restaurant ,excellent....oh yeh and the room was very nice to.
A really good place to stay,very close to the shops and the station and the shops and more shops. We went to see Miranda and she was very good too,such fun!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Today we came for Mother's Day. The food was amazing but I was less than impressed with the service! We were sat in the centre and as not yet busy all your waitressing staff spent most of their time hanging around the bar area waiting for something to do, laughing and joking which made us feel very uncomfortable! The waitress although lovely needed a lot more training. She bought us the wrong wine, I didn't realise until poured, she did offer to change but I had opened it and felt rude asking for another bottle, she didn't ask the usual would you like to try the wine etc where this mistake would have been uncovered. I was given a fork and spoon for my cheese dessert at the end and as most of the staff were once again busy talking I was unable to get anyone's attention and left most of my cheese as couldn't actually cut it! I was then charged a service charge for this? It's a shame as I have had afternoon tea with you and food before and it's always amazing but today the service really let me down and it's a shame on such an important day!

Stayed: March 2014
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit to Aalto Restaurant, I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations in some areas. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.At Hotel La Tour, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel and provide you with an experience that exceeds your expectations. Kind regards Jane Riley

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel 28th & 29th, first night was added at very short notice and (Jane?) arranged for us to have the same room for both nights.
Happy, helpful check in process and impressive looking foyer. Superior room was amazing! Tv in the bathroom, I nearly moved in for good!
Ate in the restaurant and had one of the best steaks ever! Beautiful singer @ChloeJean_CJ really set the mood for cocktails in the bar too (thanks Graham!).
All the staff were brilliant; everywhere was spotless, loads of techy stuff in the room to suit my latent geekiness (although I couldn't connect the bluetooth to get music on it, but I was offered for somebody to come and look at it immediately).
Breakfast was great both days, not the biggest selection I've ever seen but it was all done very well.
All in all, probably the best hotel I've ever stayed in. Well done to all; keep it up :)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Just got back from a two day conference in the business centre. Worked very well, minor issue with internet but overcome. Staff couldnt be more helpful, too many to mention by name but they are doing very well and open to suggestions for improvements. Breakfast good, black pudding very nice. Dinner also good. Would recommend hotel and use again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Glad you had a great conference, the staff will be thrilled to hear your comments, please come back soon. Regards Jane Riley

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. Really nice hotel. Friendly staff. Victor on checking out was very pleasant. Not the biggest choice at breakfast but cooked well and tasted great. Room was impressive. Big and comfy!!!!! Especially for the price . Would definatly stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham, and that Victor stood out for you. I hope we can welcome you back soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I booked an executive room and an afternoon tea on the 22nd march for a surprise for my husbands birthday treat. I received a call from Jane reily on that morning to confirm the reservation for afternoon tea to make sure she was aware of my dietry requirements, how pleased i was to hear a very welcoming voice! Jane informed me that a little treat would be offered as it was for a birthday. Upon arrival i asked my husband to park the car as i went in to check myself in without him realising what i had planned for a treat. I made a request to the reception team not to mention the room booking as it was a surprise and to ask my husband to take a seat in the foyer when he walked in. Sadly thats not what happened.
As i was in the room putting a gift there for him the receptionist mentioned i have a key and have gone up. When i came down to invite him up to tea he smiled and told me what i was up to, i was quite dissapointed my surprise was ruined! Moving on to the tea. The staff in the restaurant are welcoming and amazing and the tea delicious but there was no special treat. Just before leaving i approached a member of staff and mentioned my conversation with Jane and requested to meet her. A few minutes later a lovely plate of chocolates arrived with a birthday message which was great thank you. I would like to point out however the plate should have been set on the table for him to see as we sat down and not just have a quick glimpse when we were leaving. Upon checkout i requested i be shown the business floor as i was planning to book in the near future but was informed that its not possible as its closed over the weekend and should i wish to see it i would need to come back again where someone would be available for me to see which would have only really taken 5 minutes as i made the receptionist aware i only want to see the size and not discuss the nitty gritty's. Overall the hotel is beautiful parking is very reasonable breakfast was good although more vegetarian options would make it super the restaurant staff are brilliant and the atmosphere great! I would definetaly return but not with the expectations i had in the first visit and not for the full website price.
Thank you Jane i very much appreciated that call u made on the day of the visit but even after asking a member of your staff to call you i left without seeing you, may be next time.
Regards
Ms Khan

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for taking your time to leave feedback following your stay with us.I have worked through your feedback with the team so they could analyse this and understand exactly how we could have turned your stay from ok to amazing and I am sure you will agree it would have not taken much but it is the small things that make a huge difference. Thank you for taking your time to tell us about your experience and allowing us to improve through this. We are all so sorry that we did not manage to impress as much as we would have liked during your visit and are working hard to make sure every guests receives that personalised service that you mentioned and we think is very important to our business. Regards Jane Riley