“"Complimentary wifi" doesn't work!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel La Tour

Hotel La Tour
Ranked #9 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“"Complimentary wifi" doesn't work!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Nice rooms, good facilities, very limited restaurant menu - but manageable. Any positives completely wiped out by "complimentary wifi" which did not work. The option was to upgrade £10 for 24 hours by "collecting a voucher from reception". No work, no downloads, just a frustrating evening. I hope that the extra £10 that the hotel receives outweighs the loss of custom from frustrated guests who don't come back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ALSSW6
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
I am so sorry about you experience it is not acceptable and you are right to be so frustrated with the situation. We changed our WIFI supplier to what was supposed to be a more improved service and it has had technical issues which I believe are resolved. I know that this is not good to you now but if ever we manage to encourage you to stay with us again and there is an issue please contact reception immediately and they will be able to attach you to the network through our internal systems if there are issues with our public WIFI.
We work so hard to maintain high standards of service and building and it is very upsetting when technical issues let us down, we won't allow this to happen again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Thai first
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I live just down the road but my wife booked this hotel as we were on a night out in B'ham. The hotel is modern and minimalist and therefore just what I enjoy. The facilities are new and all in very good working order. The tech in the rooms is just stunning and before long I had connected the iphone to the TV for some music. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. Parking at Moor St was only £5 and therefore very sane. Breakfast was very good and perfectly fine for that level of hotel. Price seems very fair when you consider the type hotel and the convenience of the location. May have been a bit more because it was midweek. I liked it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank simon p
We very much appreciate you taking your time to leave feedback following your stay with us at Hotel La Tour. I was so pleased to read that you had a good time and have made sure that all of the team have read this. I am very lucky to work with a fantastic team of people who are all determined to be the best at what they do and the love to hear about our guests experiences.
Thank you for choosing Hotel La Tour and I hope that we have the opportunity to take care of you next time you are in the city.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Being new and subsequently with pristine decor and furnishings and in a part of town that is full of similarly new buildings, the La Tour has a slightly impersonal feel to it. Also, without a focal point and a slightly sparse reception area with automated check-in and check-out (there is a small reception desk if you want a person to help you) it seems to lack the human-touch! Perfectly good hotel but all rather functional.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel faces a new block of flats and with no blinds or similar, the only means of p...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for leaving a review of your experience at Hotel La Tour. I am pleased that you did like the hotel and we always want guests to tell us how we can improve. I am sorry that you felt the reception area was impersonal, this is not what we want people to get a feeling of. We are constantly looking at the atmosphere we create at the hotel and will talk about this in more details in our next planning meeting.
Thank you for choosing Hotel La Tour and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.
Thrapston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Would just like to say what a lovely clean ,fresh looking and smart hotel this is. We only stayed 1 night but was very impressed with the staff. very helpful and happy. The room was very clean and modern, big tv all touch screen controls for heating and lighting, and in the bathroom a walk in shower that was huge, very nice. We ate in the restaurant that night and the food and service was first class. In the package with Secret Escapes was Breakfast and 2 course dinner, as i say the dinner was very nice and the breakfast was just as good, Buffet, but plenty to eat and hot.The hotel is only 2 to 3min walk to the bullring shopping centre, which was great. car parking just outside of hotel cost £10 for 24hrs. Overall we had a great stay there and would stay again. Thanks

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark R
Thank you for taking your time to leave a review, it was great to read that you had a good experience.
We are determined to create a hotel and restaurant where people can come relax and be happy to sleep, eat and drink in. All the team share the feedback we receive so that they can see how we are doing and look at ways to improve. We all feel very motivated and happy when we hear we have done a good job but we will always be working hard to make Hotel La Tour even better.
Thank you for choosing Hotel La Tour and I hope that we see you again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

But... For one the price wasn't that great. £97 a night isn't overly expensive but still a lot for one night.
The car park isn't included with your stay it's £10 a night to park your car in what I can call a spare bit of land with some boarders around it. The gravel on the floor would ruin your tyres pretty quick.
Breakfast is £18 if I remember right and tbh it wasn't anything special very limited and bland tasting.

The only good thing I would say would be the location. It's right opposite the shopping mall which is really good and lots of shops to go in.
Also the design of the hotel is quite nice. The room is quite big and nice that the shower is huge ! And the tv on the wall. But the rest of the hotel is bit of a wasted space. Also shame there's no pool or spa there that would make this hotel a much nicer place to stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
We very much appreciate you taking you time to leave a review following your stay and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. The car park is the best we can do at the moment as we were building on a major redevelopment in the city which has not since taken place. We have fought hard to secure some parking for our guests and there is an alternative of Selfridges car park which is £5 per stay.
Thank you for your comments about breakfast. Whatever we charge it is important that this is the best breakfast in the city and I am sorry that you were not impressed with this. I have spoken to the team and we are undergoing a full review of this and I am very sorry that you did not like it but thank you for allowing us to improve through your feedback.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I booked my parents in one of the executive rooms here. Nothing was too much trouble and it made their stay all the better. More hotels should follow their example. Great customer service! Car park just over the road which makes a change from some central hotels..

Room Tip: Ring if you require something, they will try and help as much as they can.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie B
Thank you so much for your review and your kind words. I am so pleased that your parents had a good experience while staying with us and thank you for choosing Hotel La Tour for their stay.
Your kind words are very much appreciated and I have shared these with all of the team. they are always so happy to read that the work they do is noticed and appreciated.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I visited Hotel La Tour for one night only, to attend a business forum. I was very impressed with the style of the hotel, the decor, and the room. The hotel is a short walk from Birmingham New Street station, and I found it easily following directions posted on the hotel website. I was greeted by a receptionist who booked me in and gave me directions to the room. The corridors and rooms are accessed via a swipe card system, which made me feel very safe.
The room was lovely, but I felt a small pack of 2 biscuits with the drinks tray would have been a nice touch, instead of the one small one. (I get hungry after a long journey!)
The food in the restaurant was very nice, with an effort made to accommodate my food intolerances on the main course. This didn't stretch to the sweet (default fruit salad) or to breakfast or lunch the next day. As more and more people have food intolerances, it would be nice to see more of an effort.
Check out was easy via the machines in the foyer, and the hotel hung on to my bag until it was time for my train.
All in all, a very pleasant stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
JJPRB2007, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you so much for leaving a review and for your kind words, we are so pleased that you had a good time. As much as it is good to receive applause it is always great to hear of ways in which we can improve. I agree with your comments about food intolerances and we will work to improve this for the future.
We hope to see you again very soon.