“Modern chic!”

Ranked #10 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Abergele, United Kingdom
“Modern chic!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I found this hotel on Secret Escapes and am glad I did! I emailed the hotel before our stay to ask if they could provide anything nice as I wanted to make our stay special as my boyfriend and I were going to Birmingham for the first time and to celebrate his birthday. They replied that they sell luxury chocolates and champagne so I thought I'd leave it as I could supply that myself. Upon checking in to the room, my boyfriend had a birthday card and some lovely chocolates waiting for him! It was such a nice touch. We had also been put in a room on the 6th floor which had a great view of the Bullring.

We had an executive room which wasn't massive but we really liked the layout and the modern features, the rain shower was marvellous with White Company toiletries and the bed was sooo comfy! The blackout curtains also meant we got a really good night's sleep.

Breakfast was fab, everything you could want was there, we were stuffed till tea time! Didn't get a chance to use the gym but the Bullring's so close you could just spend hours walking around shopping instead!

Would definitely stay here again, we loved it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I absolutely loved my stay at Hotel La Tour. Me and my partner stayed there in July 2013 and we had a lovely time. We booked via Secret Escapes and got an Executive Room. On arrival, the reception staff were lovely. The rooms are great, the beds are comfy, and the showers are amazing. I would without a doubt, stay again. I'm already looking for deals for the hotel!

The bar is great, and even if you don't really know what cocktail you want, explain it to the bartender and he'll make something. He came across on every occasion after to see what we thought and made sure it was great.

We had breakfast whilst there, and it was really nice. The sausages in particular were great.

The only issue I found was that you have to park at the shopping centre near the hotel. Also we ended up walking around the hotel trying to find the entrance.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an executive room, and get breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed at La Tour in Birmingham, booked the room direct with the hotel which was cheaper than late rooms or secret escapes. The hotel is modern and very quirky in a contemporary way. The staff were friendly without being false. The public spaces were airy and beautifully decorated and furnished. Our room was exceptionally clean with modern furnishings, fixtures and fittings. Although it wasn't a particularly large room it had everything you could need and it all worked perfectly. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Moscow, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Attended a training course in the meeting rooms. The hotel is very close to Moor Street station and a 10 minute walk from New Street station, (follow the directions on the hotel website and you can't go wrong)

Checked in with the welcome staff and they were most helpful. The only confusion was that they told me to take lift or stairs to the first floor. Trying to be healthy I took the stairs and the next floor is 2. I saw several people over the day walking back down to check they hadn't missed a floor. Also toilets are not well signposted.
However, these two minor issues were the only problem I encountered.

On reaching the breakout area I was pleased to find two coffee machines. Not only that, but a juice machine, a fridge stocked with bottled water and cola. Biscuits, fruit and muffins with very comfortable seating.
In the afternoon, ice creams were put in the freezer and a selection of cheese in the fridge.

The meeting room was tastefully decorated, secure and had all the expected gizmos. We were asked whether we needed anything else and our request for additional plugs / extension cables was dealt with immediately.

We had lunch in the restaurant. Limited in choice, but exactly what is required for a business break. I had the individual quiche and salad, followed by fruit and cheese. All excellent.

I would really love to stay overnight and see if the excellent standards continue throughout .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Bristol
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We usually stay at Malmaison but thought we'd give this a whirl because it included a breakfast buffet. We stayed on the Sunday of Bank Holiday and after talking to the bookings team found a very good deal - £99 for bed, breakfast and evening meal.
We experienced some problems finding the hotel. Satnav got us within sight but then Birmingham's one way system whisked us off for a 20 minute mystery tour of no left turns. If this happens to you, you will pass the Selfridges car park which the hotel recommend for back up parking - just save yourself the trauma and park there.
The shared spaces are attractively decorated in a contemporary style with a lovely range of framed black & white vintage photographs.
Our room, which I think was probably the most basic option, was spacious, clean & contemporary. Good bathroom, excellent walk-in shower, White Room toiletries, crisp white bed linen. All good. Fans of gadgets will love it - gadgets for lighting, heating, TV etc. everywhere. I've never been able to record TV shows from a hotel room before - and I didn't really need to but it was a nice touch.
The set menu dinner was well-presented and good quality, good cocktails and good service. The breakfast was a generous buffet.
The hotel is minutes from Selfridges & other shops which is handy for a browse. I guess that the good value weekend deals are because most of their custom is from business travel during the week. All in all, very good. If it's a toss up between here & Malmaison then I think it depends which location is better for you - Mailbox or Bullring and how much you enjoy the Malmaison Spa.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Simply the best hotel in Birmingham.. If you book through Secret Escapes you get a room upgrade and breakfast included. Rooms are excellent, huge bathrooms/shower, breakfast is the best I've ever had at a hotel and if you are planning on going shopping the hotel lets you park in the Selfridges car park at the Bullring for 24 hours for £5 which is about a 3 minute walk away.

Room Tip: Rooms on 7th floor have great views out over the city.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Jane R, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 8 February 2015
Glad you had a good time at Hotel La Tour Birmingham! Hope to see you again. Kind regards, Jane Riley
Leicester
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

This is my second visit and im planning my third. Excellent position for Selfridges and the Bull ring. Moor Street Railway station is a two minute walk away or park your car at Selfridges for £5.00 for your whole stay Reception will sort it out for you. Very stylish very clean
Breakfast is excellent good choice and is always being replenished. All staff are exceptional. Why stay anywhere else.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family