“Super hotel”

Clayton Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #8 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Super hotel right in the centre of Birmingham. Very comfortable and very clean. The bed was so comfortable. What I really noticed is that the hotel is quiet - you do not hear people in the other rooms or the banging of doors - SUPER !!
Rooms are spacious and have tea/coffee facilities and iron/ironing board and a hairdryer.
Check in is quite easy using the check in points and check out is even easier.
Main railway station is 10 mins walk away.
This is my third visit to this hotel and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: In my opinion all rooms would be good.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Jane R, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2015

Thanks for your review. I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we'll be able to welcome you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham very soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,555)

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed here to celebrate my partners birthday, and with only a small request, they were able to provide in the room a 'happy birthday from hotel la tour' card as well as complementary little chocolates and a plate elequently designed in milk chocolate to write 'happy birthday'.

First, where do I start?
The bedding was of the highest quality, the mattress was firm while the covers and the pillows were incredibly soft and plump, which made our nights sleep peaceful and comfortable. It was a hot day and remarkably, we were able to change the air conditioned all the way down to freezing point [not that we really needed to but you get the gist].

The air conditioning and all of the lighting could be changed electronically from the hallway leading into the bedding area, what a great little feature! Made the whole room feel very modern and techno.

The bathroom was brand new, very clean with 'the white company' toiletries and the shower could easily have fit three or four people comfortably, it was huge!

The staff were always there if you needed help, and the receptionist 'Anne/Anna' in particular was very polite and friendly. At the beginning, on top of the original fee incase you want to order room service, they surcharge you a £25 fee until it is refunded the day you leave the hotel. This was an issue for me because I didn't have that much on my card and as soon as I mentioned this, she took the charge of straight away.

The bar, although a little expensive made some great cocktails which were brought to us when they were ready. I had the cosmopolitan and my partner had the anglo-saxon cocktail.

Breakfast was very clean, with nicely designed areas for you to sit as well as lots of variety and choice in terms of cold drinks and the hot and cold buffet.

I have reccomended this to friends, and will be staying here again, the modern design and the extra amenities made it a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which faces away from the block of apartments if you're being really particular...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leahmerricks

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed here on Business, due to the location of the course i was on..
The rooms were very nice & modern...Looked like new..
The restaraunt & bar is also a modern design..We had breakfast for two days, both were good, serving a nice buufet of breakfast items, and fresh coffee..
The location if you are aiming for the city centre is good, only a few minutes walk to most places.
They have a carpark next to the hotel which wasnt that buisy..
Overall it was very good and if i was staying in Birmingham again i would definatley stay here

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and I hope to see you on your next trip. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Firstly, this hotel is in a little of an odd location. Whilst central, it is within a block of 2 constructions sites (which are silent and cause no issue) but it does feel a little scary walking back from the City Centre late at night. I would always ask a female colleague to take a taxi back for instance.

Having said that, the location is fairly central and close to the Bullring and City Centre so it was perfect for what I wanted. I walked into town each day of a 3 day business trip and didnt need to use a taxi or bus.

The hotel staff were pleasant and helpful. The bar and restaurant were of a high standard and the prices reasonable for the standard of hotel.

The rooms are fresh and new although the air conditioning took a while to cool the room down.

A final word on the WiFi. The free service is only 0.5 meg so it will be less than most people are used to. The high speed access is £10 a day which is a little pricey.

Room Tip: I faced away from the Queensway and had no problems - aside form the main road, there are few source...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and I hope we can welcome you back soon. I am also pleased to advise you that we have now upgraded our wifi connection and also do not charge for our premium wifi service either. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Very impressed with the hotel ,modern and spotlessly clean .Great service at reception and in the bar .Thankyou to the barman who made our cocktail which wasnt on the list ,and tried too find it in the cocktail book ,but wasnt listed so a new name was found Raspberry Delight !.Breakfast was very nice a good selection .Will be recommending this hotel

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour Birmingham and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I had wanted to try this hotel for a while and wasn't disappointed. The location was good and discounted parking at the Selfridges car park was useful at just £5. I liked the room and heard minimal street noise and noise from other rooms. The bar was good with reasonably priced drinks and at least the music was subtle compare to the other places I had visited in Birmingham during the evening - it made a nice change not to have to shout to make myself heard.(I'm probably getting old!)

Check out was easy using the machines and the person who came over to help seemed genuinely interested in hearing about any issues.

I agree with others that the overhead shower was quite weak. Although it was really nice to have full sized bath towels in a hotel - it isn't often you get this, which was good in my mind.

A also I liked the free and easy to use wifi, it does make a difference.

Would recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for one night and booked through secret escapes. The hotel was lovely with great amenities. Lovely and friendly staff who were extremely helpful. Hotel was in the perfect location for shopping in the bullring. Would definitely return.

Stayed: June 2014

Glad you had a good time at Hotel La Tour Birmingham! Hope to see you again. Kind regards, Jane Riley