“Just as good as before .........”
Review of Hotel La Tour

Hotel La Tour
Ranked #9 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Ware, United Kingdom
“Just as good as before .........”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Second stay a year apart when it had just opened - this time one night over 23/24 July 2014 in room 701 which was very quiet

Rooms still as fresh as last year with same high standard with large comfy beds and well equipped bathroom with large walk-in shower that is just the job - pity there isn't a fridge as this is only thing that is missing from the room

Wifi is free but limited with extra capacity available at a cost for those that want download movies or other large file entertainment - we found it adequate enough to download daily papers, catch up with emails and do a bit of surfing (??)

Didn't use the bar or restaurant this time but white wine glasses and ice buckets were provided on request - what luxury

Reception as ever welcoming and effecient with the addition of hotel parking closeby rather in Selfridges which is still an option for £5 per stay - the extra convenience of the La Tour parking costs an extra fiver a night which we thought was worth it given the length of our stay - the car park is locked at night for security

The Hotel is close to the city centre shopping and the mains sights

So no more to say except this hotel is worthy of consideration and comes recommended - we are thinking of going back in 2015 - thank you

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jane R, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Hi PeteD60,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel LaTour - I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience with us and hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Jane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This place is a nice option for a short stay in Birmingham. It's close to the Bullring centre and a short walk from the New Street train station (maybe 10 mins). The rooms have some nice extras, like bedside outlets for connecting your laptop to the tv, ipod docs etc. The bathroom had one of the best showers I have ever experienced - a big walk in with hand held and rain shower heads. The staff were great - very helpful with extra requests like ice and late check out (£10/hour). The only thing that they could really work on is the room service menu. It's dominated by heavy main meals like lasagna and chicken curry at night when most people would be looking for some more interesting snacks and light meals. As others have suggested, request a room that doesn't look into the flats next door, unless you are happy to draw the curtains. The wifi was free but a little patchy at times. Overall, this place was quiet, comfortable and convenient.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Madeline C
Hi Cyclamen C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel LaTour - I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience with us. We are always very grateful for any customer feedback, and I'm happy to say that we have very recently launched a brand new restaurant menu, including a new room service menu. I hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I decided to stay in Birmingham even though we live nearby so at 6.5 months pregnant we didn't have to travel too far.
We went for the hotels advance booking with no breakfast price for a city room. We were on the 5th floor and the room was lovely. Everything was immaculately clean and the facilities were good. The air con chilled the room almost immediately we went for 14 degrees as the weather was so hot outside and it was just what I needed.
The view wasn't great, of the pizza place and main road but we couldn't hear any road noise or anything. Everything was ideal for what we needed. Must admit gad we been staying for longer than a night the wardrobe and clothes storage was lacking but was perfect for one night.
On check in we were asked if we needed help with bags or advice on the area both of which we declined but staff was v helpful.
We had a drink in the bar before going out for dinner and the bar area was lovely and not overly pricey. More than you would pay in a regular bar but for the standard of hotel it was very reasonable. Wish we had stayed for afternoon tea as that looked lovely.
After our meal we sat on their outside terrace which again the view wasn't good but the area itself was lovely and decked out with sofas so v relaxing.
The next morning we decided to eat breakfast there. We were a little disappointed that it was a buffet and not cooked to order for the price but couldn't fault the standard of the food. Even though my husbands fried eggs were precooked they were still soft and runny not solid like some places. The quality of the food was very good and the selection really good.
The only downside was the customer care prior to arrival, the reservation line was v unhelpful and when I queried about an early check in given I was pregnant and whether they even offered a pay extra option I was told to go to the hotel on the day so not willing to help or go the extra mile. I couldn't say the same about the staff at the hotel they were all lovely. I thought a 3pm check in was quite late but we didn't have to check out until 11 on the Sunday so can't overly complain. I would recommend

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Suz S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel LaTour - I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience with us. We are always very grateful for any customer feedback and will certainly take your comments regarding prior customer care and phoneline onboard. I hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Doncaster
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights on a Guardian Escape deal. Executive room on the 5th floor.
All mod cons. everything touch control. Not so easy to use if you are not Gadget savvy!!
Nice touch with the white stuff toiletries. The mirror in the bathroom was great. The centre didnt steam up when you had a shower.. Wow!! A really comfortable stay. 10 minute walk to the bull ring and other sights within the city. You can either pay £10 per night to park at the hotel with as many ins & outs as you like, or park up at Selfridge's car park 10 minutes walk away for £5 for your whole stay if you don't need to use the car.
Breakfast was plentiful with continental & English choices
Quick and efficient check in & out. Very friendly staff. Would stay again if in Birmingham.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi CarterFamily5,

Norfolk
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Having booked an executive room we expected a little better than an average room and at £125 per night, the room should have been a little better than average. However...
The room was really small. The hanging space (can't call it a wardrobe) and the hospitality shelves are behind the bed because the room is too small for them to be anywhere else.
When I pay £125 for a room I expect to find a decent space, and decent hospitality tray. At La Tour the tray had a good selection of teas and coffees but the two small caramel biscuits 4cms x 1cms are not enough to keep two people going until dinner after a long journey.
There was a choice of pillows but neither was comfortable and the air conditioning was insufficient. We had it on full but the room was still stuffy and warm.
I asked the concierge what constituted an executive room. Her answer? It's a much larger room and you get a chaise longue.
My advice - stay in the new Holiday Inn Express, Snow Hill. The room is much bigger and you can spend the money you save on a packet of biscuits and a good selection of toiletries. You don't need the chaise longue.
On a plus side: there was a good selection for breakfast.
I shan't return to La Tour but will return to Holiday Inn Express where I have stayed on at least five successful occasions. This is the most disappointing hotel I have ever stayed in (not just in Birmingham) and I am normally quite easily pleased.

Room Tip: Don't expect too much for £125 per night and you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lizzie0145
Jane R, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 8 February 2015
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Hotel La Tour, Birmingham, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Hotel La Tour, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent this from happening again.

We appreciate your feedback, as this helps us ensure we are always meeting the high expectations we set for ourselves and the standards our customers expect and deserve.
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Most beautiful, modern hotel! Loved the bathrooms and everything being touch screen, the bed was neatly presented, I was bit disheartened with the fact I wasn't told I would have to pay £200 deposit for my room, luckily I had the cash but what would've happened if I didn't? However, the service is great and I liked everything! Room service is abit pricey. The drinks are pricey but the tray service is £10 or £5 can't remember but seriously lol! There's no vending machine so had no choice but to order and I forgot to take a drink etc

• Stayed June 2014
Hi Tasmina K,

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

La Tour is an excellent hotel in every way! A great big room, very good bed and quiet. Breakfast is great and the staff the best. And a great location as well. In addition the hotel is new and looks very nice indeed. Can not find anything to put my finger on. Give this hotel my warmest recommendation!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Anita A
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel La Tour Birmingham. Kind regards, Jane Riley