“Impressed overall.”

Ranked #9 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
gloucester
“Impressed overall.”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Booked to see Wicked as part of my husbands birthday treat and decided to combine it with a 2 night stay in Birmingham. Used the self-check, very quick, staff on hand to assist if necessary. Very modern, quirky, clean, light and airy reception. Loved the room, again, very clean, loved the touch controls for lighting, air con etc. good size bed, small 'wardrobe' but this isn't the sort of place you go for a week long holiday. On returning from the theatre we mistakenly thought we'd be able to eat in the bar, which is open 24hrs, we were told we could order the night menu, which was fine, we ordered a drink while they found the menu, there wasn't one at hand, to find that at 10.30 we could only order room service. The other issue with room service is that is was food only, no drinks, we could take our drinks with us, but would have been nice to order wine to be delivered. Bed pretty comfortable, good nights rest. Breakfast the next morning, was generally very good, if I'm being picky, and it's because it's a buffet, I do like my eggs with a runny yolk, and none were. We returned to the hotel early afternoon and decided to have a drink in the bar, this is where it went a bit downhill. Ordered our drinks, and as we wanted to sit outside as it was a beautiful afternoon, the girl behind the bar said she would bring our drinks out, nice touch we thought. After 15 mins, my husband went back in, our drinks were sat on the bar as she had carried on serving other customers. Not only that but we then worked out we had been overcharged for our drinks. This might sound quite trivial but the hotel was very quiet when this happened. However, the manager, after hearing about this, was very apologetic, and told us there was lots of training going on in the bar areas. After the issues of the night before we were disappointed, but like a true professional he offered us a complimentary drink, which I have to say arrived promptly, and slightly restored our faith. Overall a good hotel, which when it overcomes these service issues, will become great. We would stay again?? Most definitely.m

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jane R, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Hi GloucesterBeachBabe,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour. We are always very grateful for any customer feedback and will certainly take your comments onboard.

I hope that we will welcome you back in the near future!

Kindest regards,

Jane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We booked this hotel for a two night break in Birmingham and paid for a deal that included breakfast and evening meal. Overall it was good value and an enjoyable experience. The hotel highlights the technology in the rooms. They do offer a lot of connectivity and free wifi but some of it is a bit gimmicky. Old fashioned switches work just as well as touch sensors. That said the rooms were very comfortable, clean and well maintained. If we had not been on the inclusive deal we might have found the restaurant a little expensive but the food was excellent. The selection at breakfast was unbeatable as was the quality. For the evening meal the steak was superb. Do watch out for service charges though. A lot of reviews commented on the quality of service offered by the staff and they are right. The staff add a warm friendly atmosphere that the front of house decor lacks. This is a very modern hotel which seemed a little sterile on arrival. By I reached the accommodation area this feeling had gone. One niggle, two people sharing a room and only one key card. No extras offered. Overall an enjoyable touch of luxury I would use again if I were in the area.

1 Thank Geoff Jeanette W
Hi Geoff Jeanette W,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour! We are always very grateful for any customer feedback and will certainly take your comments onboard.

I hope that we will welcome you back in the near future!

Kindest regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Decided to stay on our return trip from the lakes, very nice hotel but need a bit of TLC. rooms where very clean and staff where great. we probably would not stay again but I would stay again if I was in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jane R, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Hi Steven H,

Thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are always very grateful for any customer feedback and will certainly take your comments onboard.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

All I can say about this hotel is your paying mid range prices or top dollar, excellent location, lovely spotless and clean rooms with the latest tech, the bar is a lovely opulent spacious place and the staff are very very polite and friendly

Special praise to the singer who in the afternoon treated us to lovely renditions of classic songs, also another plus is the rooms seem to have perfect noise insulation and they are very very quiet and you would think your in the country not a big city

No Complaints at all and a cracking breakfast to boot

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi James A,

I hope to welcome you back soon!

Goodmanham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have visited this hotel twice with 2 different friends. Looks impressive, clean, rooms compact this said, we only stayed one night did the job nicely. First visit, the room was only set up for one person, so had to ring RS to fetch more toiletries & towels. The restaurant wasn't open on a Sunday evening, but you could get Restaurant menu food served in the bar?? I opted for the roast pork...mmmm, belly pork arrived, nice and fatty, seared on each side to within an inch of its life, this is the cheapest cut of meat, and didn't say on the menu it was belly pork...spoke to the manager and he agreed (obviously)..very disappointed. We had RS deliver our expensive breakfast, of cold doughy muffins etc, a pot of yoghurt etc. It's a good job I heard him knock, as when I opened the door he was knocking on next doors door!!! My second trip....the service wasn't much better, again the twin room for 2 people was only set up for one! Later that evening, we went for something to eat, again no restaurant on a Sunday, but this time they had a separate bar menu, which was sufficient. Whilst going to the bar we went to reception to ask Victor for more toiletries, shower caps, shower gel, towels etc, and order our breakfast, with our desired contents for 8.am. Victor wrote everything down and even said he would send the said toiletries to our room whilst we were at the bar..upon our return no one had been! 8.00am arrived, no breakfast, (we were leaving at 9.00am) 8.15am I rang reception, apparently no handover notes from Victor with our breakfast or toiletry requests. Ordered another breakfast FOC, yes it arrived, watery coffee, cereal and 2 bananas, one so bruised it looked like the waitress had trodden on it every step of the way to our room! You ask, why did I stay twice? Excellent location, clean, thought the first visit blips were exactly that.....but it seems the simplest of requests can't seem to be carried out. Would I go again? Yes if I had to, but Hotel Du Vin isn't that far away.....sorry!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Regent S
Jane R, General Manager at Hotel La Tour, responded to this review, 8 February 2015
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Hotel La Tour, Birmingham, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Hotel La Tour, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent this from happening again.

We appreciate your feedback, as this helps us ensure we are always meeting the high expectations we set for ourselves and the standards our customers expect and deserve.
northants, UK
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights and I would have given this hotel a higher rating were it not for the extremely hard bed and awful pillows! Since the purpose of a hotel room is a good nights sleep I felt we were really let down.
The hotel is extremely modern, all high tech and trendy decor. The room although small was well equipped and very nicely decorated and the bathroom was excellent with a wonderful walk in shower. As other people have remarked a tiny storage space for clothing but enough for a couple of nights. The staff we met in reception were helpful and friendly.
Breakfast although buffet style was fabulous with a good choice - if you like a cooked breakfast - and it was all wonderfully fresh and hot. We also had drinks in the bar on both evenings and the atmosphere was relaxed and friendly and the prices fine (certainly if compared to a London Hotel). Again all of the staff we met were very pleasant and helpful.
I'm afraid the terribly hard bed would put us off of another stay here as neither of us felt rested. What a shame.

Hi Merlion02,

Thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted to read that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us. We are always very grateful for any customer feedback and will certainly take your comments onboard regarding the bed. I do hope that this won't deter you from visiting again in future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here for my best friend's hen do. The woman that I dealt with in the couple of months before our stay was very helpful and accommodating.

The hotel itself is lovely, and they didn't seem to mind the fact that we were pretty scruffy when we turned up (we were on our way to an activity day so we all had trainers and shorts on), or that we were in fancy dress when we went out at night. Apparently the breakfast was great (I may have overslept!), and the hotel is really central, so close enough to walk to all the main attractions that Brum has to offer.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Hi SueClay,

Thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us!

I hope to welcome you back soon!