“Excellent all round”

Clayton Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #10 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights whilst on a short break in Birmingham. The location couldn't have been better - so convenient for the city centre, the Bullring markets and Moor Street Station.

Despite our bedroom being located on the side of the hotel with a busy road outside, there was virtually no traffic noise audible inside. Likewise, sound proofing from room to room was excellent - we didn't hear a peep from anyone else!

We didn't sample the food as it was pricey and there are so many other places to eat in the city.

Staff were polite and welcoming every time we came and went. The room was spotless and cleaned each day without our personal belongings being moved around.

The only slight negative is that I couldn't upgrade our room as they only have standard facilities in twin rooms.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kate M
Jane R, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

Hi KateM,

Jane

Write a ReviewReviews (2,584)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Spent last night at hotel la tour and it was fantastic. We arrived at 11am expecting to just leave our bags as check in wasn't until 3, but the room was ready. Room on the small side but lovely contemporary design with a big TV, modern bathroom and absolutely spotless. Staff very friendly and helpful, great service all round, we had booked a dinner bed and breakfast deal which was great value. Dinner very good, unfortunately we had a long wait for starters as the kitchen had lost our order, however, the restaurant staff dealt with this quickly and efficiently and we were given a free bottle of wine for the inconvenience. Nice atmosphere in the bar with a lounge singer, and the cocktails excellent. Definitely would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi MrsSaraP,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour. Thank you for your kind comments, I will be sure to pass these on to the staff.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I attended a conference here in August and stayed over too. The hotel was spotless, the facilities first class and my room was amazing. The food was good, if a little pricey (£13.50 for a burger!) but it is central Birmingham.

My favourite part about the whole hotel though was the service. The staff were excellent, especially Salah who helped me check in. If I need to stay in Birmingham again, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Hi MrYoung72,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and food, I will be sure to pass these on.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

First time I have stayed at la tour and thought it was great staff really friendly and helpful check In very quick, lovely decorated rooms big walk in showers, I also ordered from room service at my stay good came presented well and was very tasty, all in all I would stay here again

Hi Jade W,

Hi popdog35,

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Having driven past Hotel La Tour on numerous occasions, it was nice to finally visit. The hotel is ultra modern, and plays up well to its high tech ideas. We booked a suite and it was spacious and well equipped. TV in the bath is always a winner.

We had a few drinks at the bar in the afternoon, and this was a pleasant experience. Breakfast was also good with plenty of choice of fresh good.

All interactions with staff we friendly and efficient and i cannot fault a single thing. Look forward to stopping again in the near future.

1  Thank popdog35

Hi popdog35,

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and at £109/night found it okay value for money given its central location (it's 5 minutes from the main Bull-ring shopping centre). There were good things, but also a number of not-so-good things, which I've summarised here:

Good
- The rooms were a reasonable size, modern and 'gadgety'. The phone had a touch-screen display allowing you to turn lights on and off, set an electronic 'do not disturb sign' that lit up outside the door, etc., and a pretty efficient self-serve checkout system in the lobby
- The room was very clean, the bed comfortable and there was a decent hairdryer, an iron and ironing board. The shower was huge and the water hot
- The curtains were good and yielded a properly darkened room
- The staff were friendly and the breakfast decent - self-serve with plenty of choice
- Free WiFi

The not-so-good
- We had to wait about 45 minutes for food on a Friday night when the restaurant was far from busy (in fact, perhaps surprisingly empty). Given four of six of us were eating steak, that was not great service. There was no apology when it finally arrived
- The food was pretty expensive, considering it wasn't high dining. It was £21 for steak that was perfectly fine, but nothing special
- In contrast to the funky gadgets, some of the basics didn't work. Our TV didn't work (no signal) and we had to call someone to look at it twice before someone came up to our room
- The car park was small, and basically just a piece of waste land with a wall round it situated a couple of minutes from the hotel. As it got full, with no parked bays some guests parked pretty selfishly taking up more than a space such that space ran out and cars were being directed to double park. I struggled to get my car out on a Sunday morning when I left, and I'm a confident London driver/parker. It didn't look like somewhere I'd want to be parking a really nice car, for fear of it getting scraped by someone less used to manoeuvring in tight spaces
- There was a single, huge floor-to-ceiling window in our room which looked out over the city (see photo) - nice, but with the curtains open, you certainly didn't want to be in any kind of state of undress as the room was overlooked by the wall of windows in another tall building immediately next door. I wasn't sure of the glass was one way/mirrored (the window didn't open for me to be able to check) and as people were breakfasting on the balconies of the building opposite, I wasn't taking any chances!! I would have felt very exposed with the curtains open
- When we arrived on a Thursday night, there was a loud nightclub in full swing (although to be fair, I couldn't hear that on the fifth floor)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 519 - see photos
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jo M

Hi Jo M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - I am delighted to hear that, overall, you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour. We are always very grateful for any customer feedback and will certainly take your comments onboard regarding restaurant service and car park.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel. Good check in/out. Very clean, modern room. Lovely bathroom. Good breakfast too. Would recommend no problems. Tea coffee in room were ok. Shame no bottled water left. Good deal with the local self ridge car park - £5 for whole duration of stay. All good!!!

2  Thank lwshrops

Hi lwshrops,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review - I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Tour. We are always very grateful for any customer feedback and will certainly take your comments onboard.