“Delightful Afternoon Tea plus Cocktails”
Review of Aalto Restaurant

Aalto Restaurant
Ranked #709 of 2,323 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Had afternoon tea on Good Friday so it was their easter special including a lemon meringue dessert in a real egg shell. The dainty sandwiches were lovely and fresh but the warm cheese dip was my favourite. The scones were perfect and I managed to each all of my share of the dainty little cakes.

Pots of herbal and breakfast tea were included.

They had the easter creme egg cocktail on which was tasty, although you could only manage one. I opted for my usual Bramble next.

Very relaxing setting away from the hustle and bustle of Birmingham on a bank holiday means there will be a return visit from me shortly!

Jane R, General Manager at Aalto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2015

Hi Angela B,

Thanks for reviewing Hotel La Tour.
We appreciate all of your comments & we hope to see you again soon!

Kind Regards
Jane R

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Have stayed in Hotel La Tour before and didn't go to this restaurant, but decided to try it this time, and I am so glad we did!
We booked as thought it would be busy, we were right it was indeed busy but seated us on the exact time of our booking. The menu was slightly different than what it is online but was no problem to us.
Had some lovely bread and butter whilst waiting for our starters. Starters were nice, not usually our thing as we don't usually "fine dine" but was nice anyway.
I had chicken supreme for main and my boyfriend had the steak. Both bigger portions than expected. They were perfect. For deserve I had chocolate fondant and boyfriend had toffee pudding. They were once again so delicious.
This was in fact one of the best meals we've ever had!
The only down point was that we were waiting a long time to get our bill. Eventually we managed to get the attention of a member of staff when they were clearing a table next to us. But apart from that it was fine. You can pay in cash, card or have it charged to your room. They automatically add an 10% service charge but this was thoroughly deserved anyway.
Also, as the chefs part is open and you can see it from your tables, you hear everything that's going on in there. There was a moment when the head chef had a real go at a member of staff very loudly. This made me feel awfully uncomfortable as it's not what you want to hear when you're having a nice quiet meal.
Big bonus is the fact the live singer is close to the tables of the restaurant, makes it much more relaxing!
Our bill came to £80 inc service charge, bit expensive but was expected.
Will definitely be eating here again!

Hi Melissa S,

Thank you for reviewing Hotel La Tour.
We appreciate your feedback & it sounds like you had a great time with us!

We hope to see you again soon,

Kind Regards
Jane R

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We were looking for somewhere special to celebrate a birthday and that was exactly what we got when we visited restaurant Aalto chef's table.
Roughly a week before we were booked to visit we were asked to submit a list of things we like and dislike so that our 9 courses could be customised to our preferences.
The night of the dinner, we arrived and were taken to the table which is semi-circular and looks into the kitchen with high bar-stool seating. After sitting down our host for the evening introduced himself and poured us the hotel's signature cocktail, a foamy ginger-spiked concoction which was delicious. He began introducing us to the wines which he had picked out to compliment our food (we opted for the flight of wines to accompany our meal), the menu in front of us just detailed what our courses would be in one word- so everything was still going to be very much a surprise when it arrived. After a quick chat and introduction to the chefs the meal began.
First course was a delicate, miniature cauliflower soup served in an espresso cup, a great way to start the meal. Next came quail, something the majority of us hadn't tried before, this was very nice (but not as good as the courses to follow). Next was cod, which melted in your mouth, in a broth flavoured with bacon lardon and lettuce. When I saw the dish I wasn't sure that it was going to work, but the combination of ingredients was actually perfect- high praise from someone who doesn't usually eat fish!
Next, duck. This was probably my favourite course, and converted a non-duck eater. It was served with a celeriac purée and blackberries and presented beautifully too. However, straight afterward came the filet steak. Wow. Who would have thought what was basically 3 ingredients, ones I have in my fridge week in week out, could taste like this? The steak had a reduction on it that is cooked down for 3 days, and the richness of this sauce makes me not even question this commitment to detail.
At this point there was a small desert amuse bouche, cucumber, strawberry and vanilla panacotta which was refreshing and well balanced. Then the real thing: toffee apple desert. I love desert so maybe I am biased but I dare anyone not to like this. A deconstructed toffee apple featuring toffee parfait, frozen apple granita, sharp jelly cubes to cut through the sweetness and crushed biscuits to create the crunch. My description doesn't do it justice but honestly, fantastic.
As if we needed more, there was coffee to follow, cheese, biscuits and white chocolate fudge.
Working in the food industry it was great to see such a well run kitchen (which was also catering for a large event upstairs whilst cooking for us!). The chefs were lovely and clearly love what they do, as we could see by the friendly main-course/desert competition- vying for our tastebuds.
The meal was definitely something very special that we would not have found elsewhere in the city centre. However do not be fooled, it is not a tasting menu, the courses are full-sized mains so you do end up feeling very full/feeling as if you should leave some food in order to allow for future courses. I would also advise that if you were going as a family you can't really hear past the person sat next to you, since the kitchens are obviously a little louder than the rest of the restaurant, making it ideal for foodies or smaller groups.
Finally, I would say that the meal was fantastic value, however I would still argue that if they wanted to keep the courses non-sample menu sized that they could cut it down to 7 instead of 9 and not compromise the dining experience.
I can't thank everyone at Aalto restaurant enough for providing us with such an enjoyable dining experience and special evening. Having never dined at La Tour before this occasion it is needless to say we will definitely be returning.

JJPRB2007, General Manager at Aalto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience at the Chef’s Table and I will be sure to pass on your comments to Chef and the kitchen and restaurant teams. As I am sure you saw, they are extremely passionate about what they do so it’s great for them to hear your thoughts. The Chef’s Table is a great opportunity to “show off” our love of food and wine so thank you for giving us the opportunity to do this so ably. In giving us guidance before the evening about your likes and dislikes it really helps us to create a truly unique experience for you and your guests. In this way, the Chef’s Table is always different so do think about coming back! Regards Jane Riley

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We went here with colleagues to celebrate a birthday and promotion as it came recommended.
I am very happy to say it lived up to that recommendation. The décor is modern and comfortable.
The staff are very efficient and professional, but friendly and helpful. The food was superb, I tried the sea trout which was even better than I had expected and if you make it to cheeses go all out !! I would have great pleasure in bringing friends, or family here and enjoyed my whole experience. We were so comfortabel and well taken care of we spent our entire evenign in the restaurant.I would like to pass my compliments to the staff and Chef’s. I look forward to coming back soon. Access in the centre of the city is easy and Parking is very convenient.

JJPRB2007, General Manager at Aalto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you for your complimentary comments about Aalto Restaurant – the team will be delighted to receive such positive feedback. Kind regards, Jane Riley

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a friends birthday celebration. We caught up over cocktails in the bar listening to an excellent singer. The meal in the restaurant was delicious, there was a good range of food and the service efficient and friendly. We also experienced the brunch where we could choose from an extensive menu and again the service was quietly efficient. We spent over 2 hours enjoying our breakfast.

JJPRB2007, General Manager at Aalto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Aalto Restaurant – I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit so much and I do hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Jane Riley.