Premier Inn Birmingham Broad Street (Canal Side) Hotel
Ranked #58 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 19 December 2013

First time Ive visited this Premier Inn and stayed over two nights 5th and 6th December.The rooms are somewhat smaller than those in other premier Inns we ve stayed in and are starting to show signs of distress.On the plus side we had booked a room on the canal side of the hotel on the fourth floor which was very quiet.
The main weakness of the hotel is the car park which is quite frankly a joke.A premises of this size needs something bigger.The fact you have to pay (if you can find a space) is an added pain.I questioned staff on reception(who were excellent by the way) and their reply was the council ran the car park not them and they therefore had no control over it.I would suggest Whitbread get their finger out here and put this right.Its annoying and im pretty sure the staff are tired of fielding questions from guests about it.The hotels strength is its proximity to the city centre and Broad Street /Mailbox etc. We used the restaurant on our first night for dinner and for breakfast on both mornings.Food was fine but the place is spoilt by being understaffed which slows down the service.Overall though we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Book a high floor room on the Canal side of the building.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I was all ready to leave a glowing report as the reception staff were friendly and helpful, room was clean tidy and comfy but then I met "Bernie" in the bar restaurant. I had been out celebrating my 40th birthday with my wife and we came back after a thoroughly enjoyable night at 10:45 and I wanted to cap my evening off with a nightcap. I opened the door and the rude, aggressive Bernie bellowed at me saying they are closed! I asked why they were closed because it was 10:50, she said it was 11 by her clock. After a discussion, she eventually served me a single brandy to take to my bed. The time on the receipt was 10:58 - I showed her this but she snapped "that time is wrong, I go by another clock"
Ruined my evening. If Bernie had wanted to finish her shift early, she should have booked time off!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Birmingham Broad Street (Canal Side) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here before but this time was a little different. Rooms has gone down hill small and very outdated. The staff was really helpful the Manager was really good and went out of here way to help you. The worse thing about this Hotel is the noise it is very noisy all through the night. The restaurant is ok service a little slow as staff disappear. Will not stay again due to rooms going down hill.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Just returned from a stay at this Premier Inn and had no issues to speak off. We chose this hotel for it's location to the Xmas Markets and shopping area and it was spot on for the price.

The rooms are quite small in comparison to other Premier Inn rooms and a little on the chilly side but we went prepared for this so not an issue and the walls are quite thin, we could hear someone snoring in the room next to us but not loud enough for it to keep us awake.

Breakfasts were very good as were the evening meals.

Parking is £5 for 24 hours and I would recommend that you get there as early as possible to get a spot.

If we visit Birmingham again we would definitely use this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Overall we had a good stay. Two gripes, though. Other reviews had warned about the car park but I didn't think it would be that bad. Why is a hotel car park open to non-residents? And the wifi availability was an ordeal. I paid extra but the codes we were given did not work the first time and the replacements worked only for one of our two nights. Will I get a refund?

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2013

A great hotel less than 100 yards from Broad Street and an easy walk to the shops. Our double room was quite small but fit for purpose.
Everything was clean and in good condition.
The bar was a bit slow in the evening but served a good selection of drinks.
The breakfast was one of the best ones I have ever had at a Premiwer Inn and Holly one of the waitresses was so helpful and friendly.
Parking was only £5.00 for 24 hours which is great value for Birmingham
The only negative comment I can make was that Housekeeping were knocking at our door at 8.30 on a Sunday morning which wasn't very good.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Only the second time I've stayed in a Premier Inn (and the first time for my wife). We normally stay in another budget hotel chain when visiting friends, but for some reason they were considerably more expensive this time.

The hotel is centrally located, and has limited parking (although we were lucky getting the last space at nearly 3pm) which costs just £5 for 24 hours for residents.

The staff were very friendly and efficient throughout our stay.

Everything was clean and well kept throughout the hotel and the bedroom. A nice firm mattress and pillows (softer pillows are also available in the room).