“" a good one night stay"”

Premier Inn Birmingham Broad Street (Canal Side) Hotel
Ranked #65 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Had a very comfortable stay while Christmas shopping in the city.
Check in was very good. The young lady who checked us in ( Carla I think) was very nice and very cheerfully. She was very informative and offered advice on places to go in the city.
The room was adequate for a one night stay but was not up to the normal clean standards of other premier inns I have stayed in. There was a bad smell coming from the sink the bathroom and the water took an age to go down the plug hole. It did not spoil our stay but I did report it when I checked out. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice and as much as you like. Parking was £5 for the night which is very good for city parking. Location is great, with broad street just 2 minutes away and the bullring 10 minutes.
All in all this hotel is excellent value for a city centre hotel and I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor. Ground floor rooms either have cars parked outside window or peopl...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Birmingham Broad Street (Canal Side) Hotel

Reviewed 20 December 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel which we book due to the ideal location, and this is my second review, unfortunately our stay this time was worse than the first.
We arrived in Birmingham via train, for a gig at the O2 Academy on Tuesday 17th December.
The hotel is in a fab location just a 5-10 min walk from the station, aim for The Mailbox, walk through the precinct to the canalside and down the steps to the right of Red Peppers, you should see the hotel then. There are loads of places to eat and drink around the Mailbox/canal area and also further up the canal towards Broad Street. The O2 Academy is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel.
Check in was quick and the receptionist was lovely and friendly. We were in a double room 101 on the front of the hotel and paid £49 for it. When we arrived back to the hotel after the gig & drinks (around 2am) looking forward to a good night sleep and lie-in, seen as check-out isn't until 12, unfortunately this didn't happen. We were woken at around 6am by the sound of people walking up and down the corridoor, the foot steps were so loud I'm not sure but it might also have been from the floor above, sounded like a herd of elephants! Also doors slamming, rummaging around and so on. I was just nodding back off again around 7am ish when the noise started again and it continued later on too, the sound of the cleaners with their trolleys, constant doors slamming, walking up and down past our room, banging around in the rooms nearby, seriously loud, then about 9.30am two people outside our door were talking very loudly, sounded like arguing, but I don't know if there were as they were talking in a foreign language, it was so loud I got out of bed opened the door and told them to keep the noise down as people were 'trying' to sleep! It was two cleaners who were making all the noise. There was no sleeping after that, I was so annoyed about being woken so early and the noise continuing until I had to get out of bed to complain. Not on, the last time we stayed here there was hoovering early in the morning which woke us up too! I complained on the way out, the receptionist was very apologetic and gave us a full refund, but I would've much preferred a decent sleep!
We've stayed in lots of Premier Inn's around the country and we are always happy with the standard and comfortable beds, they are ideal for what we need, but it's a shame that twice now in this hotel we have been woken by a lot of noise very early in the morning, by staff! It's put me off staying in this particular Premier Inn again.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

First time Ive visited this Premier Inn and stayed over two nights 5th and 6th December.The rooms are somewhat smaller than those in other premier Inns we ve stayed in and are starting to show signs of distress.On the plus side we had booked a room on the canal side of the hotel on the fourth floor which was very quiet.
The main weakness of the hotel is the car park which is quite frankly a joke.A premises of this size needs something bigger.The fact you have to pay (if you can find a space) is an added pain.I questioned staff on reception(who were excellent by the way) and their reply was the council ran the car park not them and they therefore had no control over it.I would suggest Whitbread get their finger out here and put this right.Its annoying and im pretty sure the staff are tired of fielding questions from guests about it.The hotels strength is its proximity to the city centre and Broad Street /Mailbox etc. We used the restaurant on our first night for dinner and for breakfast on both mornings.Food was fine but the place is spoilt by being understaffed which slows down the service.Overall though we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Book a high floor room on the Canal side of the building.
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I was all ready to leave a glowing report as the reception staff were friendly and helpful, room was clean tidy and comfy but then I met "Bernie" in the bar restaurant. I had been out celebrating my 40th birthday with my wife and we came back after a thoroughly enjoyable night at 10:45 and I wanted to cap my evening off with a nightcap. I opened the door and the rude, aggressive Bernie bellowed at me saying they are closed! I asked why they were closed because it was 10:50, she said it was 11 by her clock. After a discussion, she eventually served me a single brandy to take to my bed. The time on the receipt was 10:58 - I showed her this but she snapped "that time is wrong, I go by another clock"
Ruined my evening. If Bernie had wanted to finish her shift early, she should have booked time off!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Birmingham Broad Street (Canal Side) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here before but this time was a little different. Rooms has gone down hill small and very outdated. The staff was really helpful the Manager was really good and went out of here way to help you. The worse thing about this Hotel is the noise it is very noisy all through the night. The restaurant is ok service a little slow as staff disappear. Will not stay again due to rooms going down hill.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Just returned from a stay at this Premier Inn and had no issues to speak off. We chose this hotel for it's location to the Xmas Markets and shopping area and it was spot on for the price.

The rooms are quite small in comparison to other Premier Inn rooms and a little on the chilly side but we went prepared for this so not an issue and the walls are quite thin, we could hear someone snoring in the room next to us but not loud enough for it to keep us awake.

Breakfasts were very good as were the evening meals.

Parking is £5 for 24 hours and I would recommend that you get there as early as possible to get a spot.

If we visit Birmingham again we would definitely use this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Overall we had a good stay. Two gripes, though. Other reviews had warned about the car park but I didn't think it would be that bad. Why is a hotel car park open to non-residents? And the wifi availability was an ordeal. I paid extra but the codes we were given did not work the first time and the replacements worked only for one of our two nights. Will I get a refund?

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family