“Super hotel”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street
Ranked #18 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Stayed overnight on Saturday and was very impressed. I had read the reviews before booking and agree with them all! Spotlessly clean room and so quiet. No noise from occupied rooms either side which is a real bonus. Complimentary breakfast was as good as any other hotel I've stayed in and paid full rate for. Will defiantly return

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen L
Matt H, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

There are newer reviews for Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I stayed here on the weekend for 2 nights. The outside of the building lacks appeal and frontage; however the inside of the refurbished former office building is of a very high standard.
Reception is located on the 3rd Floor and directly in front of you as the lift doors open.

The finish of the inside of the hotel is of very high quality and you could smell that new hotel feeling of the paint, carpet and decor. The room is compact, functional and luxurious. TV was of generous size, tea, coffee making facilities all good. Free WiFi is also handy.

A nice walk in shower with complimentary body wash, shampoo, conditioner, hand gel and moisturiser in proper dispensers. None of that small bottle stuff that only lasts half a shower!
The bed was very comfortable and the pillows plush. For the price and what you get, this is a really high quality hotel. Hilton have done a good job here.

A good advantage to this hotel is its complimentary breakfast. There was a large variety of hot food (top English breakfast), cereals, juices, toast, croissants, cakes, muffins as well as a variety of teas and coffees. The seating areas were clean and airy and staff were always on hand and polite.

The only downside was the noise from the nearby clubs on Friday and Saturday nights. . Obviously this is to be expected when you’re staying on the strip of clubs and bars. On the 5th floor it was pretty loud so maybe request a higher floor if you’re a light sleeper.
Providing the Hotel keeps to its price point of around £50-£60 a night, I wouldn’t hesitate in coming back.

A really nice hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Deserves its #1 placing on Trip Advisor!

Room Tip: Noise from nearby clubs/bars can be a problem on the weekends if you are on a low floor. Request a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Within a pleasant walk from New Street train station and well-positioned for ICC and Symphony Hall this hotel may not be much to look at from the outside, but it provides all one needs for a comfortable stay. My only quibble with the bedroom was not being able to open a window, as I dislike using A/C but need to feel some air. The bed was extremely comfortable (lovely pillows) and all amenities were of good quality for a hotel of this standard. It is new, so everything is in good condition and all very clean.
Breakfast was unmanned, which provided a very easy, stress-free environment and there was a reasonable choice. The quality of coffee was a little lower than I would like, but then I have very high expectations of coffee! Wonderful to have efficient, free wifi and free breakfast.
Staff at the reception were friendly and helped with any queries. I would definitely stay at this hotel again if the cost doesn't increase much.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 June 2012

The cost of this hotel was the same as the travel lodge and the standard is on a very different level. The room was very well finished and the bed was extremely comfy. The location is perfect for a night out. I will stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jessica R
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

Many thanks for your review and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Hampton is a new brand to the UK and we are trying to encourage more trvellers to choose us as their first choice. as we say "we love having you here" and hopefully more will get to experince Hamptonality. Look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed here on Friday 15th June and Saturday 16th June . Merely wanted a central Birmingham hotel to stay , whilst visiting friends . Hotel is at the Five Ways end of Broad Street , about 20 minutes walk to main shopping district . Truly amazed at this gem and enjoyed the clean , modern decor of the room . Views from the 17th floor were stunning .
Breakfast was a very good : buffet style and plentiful .

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

Many thnks for your review - it's great that your enjoyed your Hampton experieince and that you would come back to the Hotel. Hampton's main elements are Free breakfast, Free wi-fi throughout the Hotel and Free use of the Fitness room - so I am glad you were able to experience some of these and it added to your experience. Please come back soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel last weekend, when I travelled to Birmingham to attend a concert at the Symphony Hall (which has far better acoustics than any of the big concert halls in London). In the past, I would stay at the Copthorne Hotel because of its proximity to the Sympnony Hall, but this time I chose the Hampton by Hilton in Broad Street because of the rave reviews it has received on this site. At £59 per night it was also slightly cheaper than the Copthorne.

I was not disappointed. The hotel is 7-8 minutes' walk from the Symphony Hall / International Convension Centre (they are in the same building) and is located in a busy, lively area with lots of young people. My single room was smallish but perfectly clean and had everything I needed--an iron and ironing board, a decent hair dryer, a comfortable chair and a footstool, a tea tray, a power shower, etc. Also good WiFi connection, which was free.

The breakfast was included in the room charge. The food on offer reminded me of the breakfast I used to eat when I was a student living in a university hall of residence. At least, it was filling. (I could not help smiling at the previous reviewer who wrote that the breakfast was "AMAZING". He/she must be a young person.)

When I returned from the concert, I found my room a bit chilly. The thermostat on the wall was set at 16 degrees, and I was unable to change it. When I rang up the reception, a young(ish) man turned up within a few minutes and re-set it at 25 degrees. I sometimes stay at five-star hotels, but even there such prompt service is not very common, especially late on a Saturday night.

I had one, slight, complaint. At the reception desk there was a sign saying "If you are dissatified, we do not expect to be paid." But I was charged for my room on arrival. If the hotel really means what it says, it shoudl wait until a guest checks out, fully satisfied, to take money.

Still, I can recommend the Hampton by Hilton Broad Street as an excellent budget hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Etranger
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

Many thanks for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comments regarding your stay and your comments regarding the 100% Hampton Guarantee. I hope that you choose us again on your next trip to a concert.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel on my first visit to Birmingham a couple of days ago. I was visiting on businessand wanted something cheap but in the city centre somewhere between New Street station and my office. I paid £50.15 for one night B&B and was travelling on my own.

The hotel was very easy to find. Unfortunately the outside is a bit drab looking and it's sandwiched between a club on one side, and on the other a disused building which looks like it used to be a club. This did initially give me some concern, however inside was a completely different story.

The reception staff were very welcoming. I'd forgotten the adapter for my USB phone charger and, while they didn't have any to lend me, they did offer to charge my phone via one of their pcs.

My room (514) was very nice. The whole hotel looks like it has recently been renovated, everything seemed very new. The room was compact but had everything you needed, was kitted out to a high standard and the shower was powerful. Another plus point in my view was that they have bodywash/conditioner/shampoo/moisturiser dispensers on the wall rather than those teeny little bottles which wouldn't clean a mouse.

Breakfast was really nice too. It was served in a buffet help yourself style and there was a big selection of juices and hot drinks, cooked food, cereals, toast, fruit, yogurt and pastries. There was a lot of pre packed individual portions of brand named foods, rather than big vats of unidentified museli.

The hotel seemed to be in a very central location. There were lots of other brand name hotels nearby and the street looked to be one of the main nightlife spots. I found a area nearby called Brindley Place which had most of the restaurant chains (pizza express, wagamama's etc) as I wanted to have dinner nearby rather than staying in the hotel. A lot of the restaurants were beside the canals, very pretty in nice weather and not what my own misconceptions thought Birmingham would be like at all!

I'm a heavy sleeper, and it was a Tuesday night so I didn't notice any noise, but my only tip would be to ask for a room on a high floor (there are 17 floors) in case the noise from the bars and clubs does cause a problem on a weekend.

Room Tip: Higher floors might be a good idea to avoid noise from the street below.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Travelling_Gem

Thank you for your feedback, this means a lot to us and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.