“Absolutly brilliant hotel and amazing staff”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street
Ranked #18 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Absolutly brilliant hotel and amazing staff”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Stayed here for the second time last week. Stayed back in April and was that impressed I sent an email to the management congratulating them. This stay was just as good.

The hotel is at the top end of Broad Street so good location, amazing views from hotel windows.

The rooms and the whole of the hotel is immaculate. You will see cleaners everywhere. The bed is amazing.

The staff make this hotel even better, everyone from security, cleaners and receptionists are polite, helpful and absolutly brilliant.

Value for money, staff that make the stay a pleasure and a good location. This hotel is a gem and looking forward to staying again.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2012

The day I checked in, they gave me a room at the fifth floor. It's my habit to check if the towels and the bed are clean, as soon as I get into a hotel room. The towels were all dirty (some strange spots on them) so I spoke to the reception, the woman at the front desk looked a bit surprised, but she did her best to give me a new room. Since I had to stay for more than 10 nights, they decided to give me a better room, at the 17th floor, distant from the lift. This time was perfect: clean, comfortable, quiet. Fresh towels and sheets every day, room perfectly cleaned, free WiFi internet, nice view of the city from my window. The only reason why I am not assigning 5 stars is because of my first day there, but after that everything was just perfect. Broad Street is very central and very lively. Excellent location.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Wanted to have a girls weekend in Birmingham and came across this hotel on Trivago.
The hotel is absolutely wonderful. We were a little worse for wear after a long journey when we arrived and I expected the staff to be a little snobbish as the place looks dead posh. However the three girls working were really helpful and when they realised why we were there they gave us some advice as to where we could go of an evening. There was a slight delay with our check in due to a slight error with the booking however the girls kept chatting and kept us entertained.
A lovely touch after we had been in our separate rooms for around ten minutes was a phone call from the front desk asking if we were happy with everything.

I was impressed by the bathroom. There are dispensers for hand wash and moisturiser by the basin and the lovely shower had shower gel, shampoo and conditioner also in big dispensers. I think this is marvellous, compared to the tiny (and probably not very Ecofriendly) packets usually found in hotels.

The bed was really comfortable, and the four pillows were lovely and deep. The room was a tiny bit on the small side, but this really wasn't an issue. The view from the 15th floor was nice, especially as the sun went down over the hill. The tv was also a good size.

There is only really one down side to my stay here. We were staying for two nights, both of which we were out on the tiles. I had clothes, shoes, makeup and my iPad scattered all over the room. I had hung the Do Not Disturb sign over my door handle when we went out after breakfast because I did not wish for my room to be cleaned. Had I have known the room would still have been cleaned regardless I would have tidied everything up (not sure if it's just me who cleans my hotel room before housekeeping come in?), and certainly wouldn't have left my iPad laying around.
As a larger lady I find hotel towelling and be a bit hit and miss size wise and the towels here are tiny! Thankfully I had brought one of my own with me, however I noticed housekeeping had taken it! My home towel was (off) white so I suppose I can't blame them really, but it certainly wasn't as pristine white as theirs and so much bigger! Didn't really want to make too much of a fuss so only mentioned it upon check out. The lady on reception did apologise however. I have since bought another, coloured towel for my travels. Felt a bit embarrassed by my messy room and the unintentional theiving of my towel.

The breakfast was nice, and best of all FREE. Could have done with a few more hot options, but the little hash browns are delicious. Also think the free wifi is a nice touch.

We had a really nice stay here, and are definitely going to stay again when we next visit Birmingham. The location was perfect for what we wanted. The staff are great, even the bouncers who won't let dodgy men to follow you back in after a night out (thank you!).

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I was here during Autumn fair 2012. Rooms was large and clean. wired internet only but that ws fine. TV was good size...maybe 40 Inch.

bed was large and confrtable. Lovely bathroom.

Also the location was great. Right in middle of Broad street. so evenings of going out with clients and meals etc is great. saves taxis and the like.

Parking is not possible in hotel so need to park in NCP (or so) about 2 mins walk away. which is secure and costs £10 per 24 hours. ideal for over night stay.

Would defo stay here again if the rate is the same -£45 from laterooms.com.

Breakfast was included and was a very good selection buffet. hot and good standard.

Cant go wrong

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Went to see Michael McIntyre at the NIA and thought we'd make a night of it and stop over...so did the usual trawling of websites to find a good deal places like the Novotel and the Hyatt are nice hotels but are to much for just a night out..the travel lodge on broad street is cheap but had the mis-pleasure of stopping there before ( it's a worn out dump )... So when saw the Hampton by Hilton on late rooms for £50 including free breakfast didn't know where it fitted in the scale.
A quick look on trip advisor and it seemed to be getting rave reviews so thought at that price we'd give it a go.
Parked the car in Brindley place and walked over ( 2 mins ) from the outside it looks a bit non descript positioned by a chippy, a kebab house and legs 11 lap dancing club but that's broad street for you...anyway once inside you take the lift to the reception on the 3rd floor and that's when it first hits you how shiny and modern it is and how clean ...check in was a breeze ..room on 15th floor in a word ..immaculate.
It's a nice feeling when you step into a hotel room and it ticks all the boxes and this certainly does that.
There was a down side to our stay when woken by the fire alarm at 5am and having to evacuate and stand on the street for an hour because some idiot thought it would be a good idea to have a cigarette in thier room ....but you can't blame the hotel for that and I don't .
Anyway once all the drama was done with and we'd caught up on our sleep it was time for that free breakfast ...everything you could think of from cereal,fruit to full English to pastry and muffins ...fantastic and all for £50 a night.
I look forward to my next night out in brum because I know where I'll be stopping....give a go you won't regret it .

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Beanyboy61
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I've stayed at a lot of Hampton Inns recently, but none compares to the new one in Birmingham, where I just spent a week. Hampton can be counted on to be clean and comfortable with a good free breakfast, but the one in Birmingham surpasses all the others I've stayed in. There's an extensive array of hot and cold options at breakfast, and it's open for early birds as well as those sleeping in. Also, though they say they don't have a restaurant, they do serve hot meals in the lounge in the evening as well as beer on tap and other unexpected elixirs.

The staff were marvelous! I arrived very early in the morning off an international flight. They actually let me go to my room before 8 AM, half a day before normal check in. Of course they could only do that because the hotel wasn't full (as it seems to be on weekends), but most hotels would never be so kind even if every room was empty. I really appreciated that extra time off my feet and out of the rain.

As others have mentioned, the location is great. I wasn't particularly interested in the bars or clubs lining Broad Street but found plenty of good restaurants within walking distance. I loved walking along the canals and in fact walked everywhere from the hotel, from the Jewelry Quarter to the Bull Ring.

Oh, yes: the bed is cozy! A very pleasant place to stay indeed and excellent value for money.

Room Tip: I'd suggest a high floor, especially on weekends when Broad Street stays lively till the wee hou...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Stratford Upon Avon
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We stayed here on 15 September. We had asked for a quiet room on a high floor and we were given room 1724, which is on the top floor.

The room was a bit small but comfortable and well equipped. Reception is on the third floor and it is busy and claustrophobic. There are 4 lifts, which doesn't seem enough when you are waiting a couple of minutes at a time to be able to get into a lift that is not already full.

The fire alarm went off at 5am. Being on the top floor, we were anxious to get downstairs. The alarm, however, kept turning off, waiting a couple of minutes and then starting again. We then waited outside on Broad Street along with everyone else. Some were in pyjamas and it was cold. The Fire Brigade arrived at 5.40am. At about 6.10am, we were told that we could return to the hotel but would not be able to use the lifts. Nobody had spoken to us or kept us advised of anything until then.

We walked up to the 17th floor. Just after we had got to our room, the fire alarm went off again, but it stopped a minute or so later. We decided not to leave our room.

When we checked out, I asked for a refund. We we told that the man on reception did not have the authority to agree that. There is a sign in reception that says they do not expect you to pay if things are not clean comfortable for you. Apparently, standing outside in the cold for over an hour with no information or support does not qualify as "uncomfortable."

I asked if there had actually been a fire. I was told that the fire brigade had been called. I asked again and was told that the alarm was caused by someone smoking a cigarette. I question that: If it is true, then surely the fire alarm what room the "fire" was in, so why did we have to wait outside for over an hour? Also, why did the alarm go off again after we re-entered the hotel?

We did not stay for breakfast.

Room Tip: You do get some good views from the rooms on the high floors.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple