“Lovely modern rooms in the heart of Brum”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street
Ranked #18 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 27 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night to see a show at the symphony hall and was pleasantly surprised! The outside of the hotel is deceiving as at first it looks quite dreary but it's lovely and modern inside.

The rooms were gorgeous with basics such as kettle, ironing board and iron and hair dryer. The bathroom was lovely with a huge shower. Because of this there is no bath but I wasn't fussed about it.

The bed is lovely and comfortable and although there are thin net curtains there are blinds behind which blocked out most of the day light. You will certainly sleep well! I went on a Monday so was not bothered by the noise that others have mentioned nor did I have any queues for anything. There was a student night on however at the club next door but we didn't hear anything on the 9th floor.

However I would have to agree with others who have stated that the staff aren't the friendliest. Dont get me wrong they aren't rude but they aren't the cheeriest bunch. There are no smiles, very little eye contact and certainly no good mornings or any pleasantries. Breakfast was basic as others have stated and wasn't the tastiest. There are lots of cereals to choose from but the choices ends there. The hot food was beans, sausage, bacon, some potato croquette things and scrambled eggs. No mushrooms or tomatoes or anything else to cater to vegetarians or non pork eaters. The eggs unfortunately where inedible ( never in my life have I had to spit food out into a tissue as I couldn't swallow it as it tasted so awful). There were activia yoghurts, croissants, toast and mini muffins with a good variety of jams and spreads. Juice was available as were hot drinks. The fruit section was a joke however.... 3 bowls of tinned fruit and the only fresh fruit were a few apples. However it's free so you can't complain too much I guess... But if you don't eat pork or tinned fruit then you might as well stay in bed and get breakfast elsewhere. I wish I had!

The location is excellent being straight on broad street and all in all it's a lovely hotel. It's a shame that the staff aren't a bit more cheerful but it didn't ruin my stay.

Tip: the heating is set so that u can't set the temperature higher than 25degrees and there is also a timer so that the heating cuts off after a short time. It was freezing when we got there and it stated the room temp was 20degrees. We tried to set the temperature higher but you can't set it for higher than 25degrees ( although the room will never even get to that temperature) and even though we kept the key card in the electricity box to keep the heating on when we went out it had always cut off by time we got back and the room was still cold. Although you can't change the max temp you can take off the timer in the settings which I strongly advise you do as it took 3 hrs for the room temperature to creep up about 2 degrees! And make sure the fan is on the maximum setting ( there are 3). Don't worry though there is an extra duvet and it did warm up eventually and was very comfortably warm during the night! When we left the next morning having had the heating on all night it had finally reached 24degrees and was finally so warm we actually had to turn the heating off before breakfast!

• Stayed: November 2012
There are newer reviews for Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street

Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed for one night on a Friday. The hotel is in a great position on Broad Street and its an easy 5 minute walk to the city centre.
Reception is on the 3rd floor and the check in staff were not particularly welcoming, quite cool, going through the motions, no smiles or happy to see you’s. But they checked us into our room OK. We were told we were ineligible for Hilton Hhonours points as the room was booked through an agent, it’s a shame as other hotel chains do honour the points and maybe next time if we had the points we would book direct?
Anyway the room was OK, quite small, double bed which was comfortable enough for a one night stay, bathroom with dispensers on the wall for soap, shampoo and conditioner. Towels were small so don’t expect to be able to wrap yourself up in the towel. The TV worked OK and there was a clock to help you see the time in the dark. We were on the 17th (top) floor so didn’t suffer any noise from the streets.
Breakfast was very good, not as many choices as you may get. i.e. just croissants, no other bread options other than sliced bread. Buffet hot items – bacon, scrambled egg(no other egg choices), beans, mushrooms, potato. Plenty of cereal choice and hot drinks dispensed from a machine and jugs of juice. It was a perfectly adequate breakfast. The girl working in the restaurant worked tirelessly and very efficiently clearing the tables, and was also expected to help out on reception answering the phone!!!
Check out was slow as there was only one person on the desk and although not many people were waiting it took a while to get through what everyone wanted.
All in all a good stay at a perfectly adequate hotel, I would stay again, but would respectfully ask Hilton to review their terms and conditions for Hhonours points as it could reap more repeat business.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Chris B, Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Dear Claire55,

Thank you for leaving us a review, and I’m glad you found the hotel to be everything you required. In regard to the issue with your Hilton Honors Points, the premise of the scheme is to reward our guests for their loyalty and also for booking direct via Hilton World Wide, this also means extremely high travel agency commissions may be avoided and we can pass the benefit back onto our guests. Therefore we unfortunately cannot award points for accommodation booked through other agents, as the cost of the points and rewards you would personally be entitled to, is unfortunately taken up by these travel agency commissions, so please accept my apologies for this

Thanks again for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night when I went to a gig at one of the clubs on the same street. The location was brilliant - we walked to the club and walked to get food, and it was a short walk from the city centre - easy enough to find. The hotel itself was great - very clean, modern and comfortable. I stayed on the 16th floor and had great views out onto the city. The only complaint I had was that when we arrived there was a huge queue to check in. I don't know if there was some sort of event going on or if that's normal for a Saturday afternoon, but it's not like there could have been much done about it anyway. Also, you have to swipe your room card in the lift to get onto any floor above reception, which we thought was a great security feature. I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Sam R,

Another great review, thank you so much!

I agree that we boast a fantastic location, within easy walkable distances to all the major venues in Birmingham, and I’m delighted you got chance to take advantage of this!

We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future

Reviewed 26 November 2012

The reviews I'd read were mixed , but I was overall very impressed. Standard of furnishing , bathroom fittings etc were very good and modern.Door to bathroom/ wardrobe a bit strange but saved space.
Glad I read review re towels as I took my own , my partner was happy with the size of towels provided but I like to wrap up in mine !
Free breafast was of good , they use good quality products , first morning I had cooked breakfast , next I had toast marmite and fresh fruit.
Shame it rained some much as we were there for xmas markets, but very good location for all amenities.
They need a policy re PJ's at breakfast ,as some females thoughts it's ok to come down in night wear but thats down to other peoples standards [ or lack of them] rather than criticism of hotel

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Suekf,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review, I was delighted to hear how impressed you were with the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I spent 3 days in Birmingham on a business trip and chose this hotel basing on the location. The area is really nice (Brindleyplace is recommended!), just outside the inner city centre, but close to the main points of interest. Hotel staff was really nice and helpful and we particularly appreciated reception desk staff, always smiling and making you feel like home (this is not essential, but it's really important if you spend 90% of your time abroad!).
Rooms and facilities were really good, new and clean (from an high floor you can enjoy an amazing view, above all at night!) and breakfast was rather good. I'm not giving the highest rate only because the wifi connection did not work properly (poor connection quality) during my stay. I will definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to everybody!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear Irene_85,

Thank you! Not only for the glowing recommendation, but also the positive comments regarding our reception team, they really do work hard and it’s great to hear them getting a mention!

Many Thanks Again

Reviewed 26 November 2012

6 of us stayed here for a trip to the 02 Academy to see Ben Howard. I found the deal on hotelopia, which was £44 per room, with 3 Adults sharing and breakfast included. Compared to the Travelodge on Broad Street which is ranked one of the lowest hotels it was the same price.

Hotel has only recently been built (May 2012), it was clean, modern and fitted our bill. Rooms were big enough with 3 adults in and good facilities. One of the members of our group even tried the gym, though basic fitted her needs.

Check in was smooth, we arrived a little later than planned (about 5pm) so didn't need to wait. We did have to wait for the lifts, which being such a large hotel could possibly do with a few more. When we got to our room we had a note to say that as it was a busy night to try and avoid breakfast at peak time (9-10). We did go down to breakfast just after 9, it was busy, but we managed to find a seat. Breakfast was good, and as it was included in the price of £44 per room we really couldn't fault it.

Location is superb, not to fair from the Christmas market and shops and perfect for anyone who wants a night out. We did get woken up at about 4am when people arrived back from their nights out, and did witness a few walks of shame the following morning. But this is to be expected when you are so close to the clubs on broad street.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants a central hotel, if you are looking for a romantic break away it probably isn't for you.

Room Tip: Probably worth trying to avoid "rush hour of getting rooms" at 2pm
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it’s great to hear you enjoyed your visit!

Reviewed 25 November 2012

I stayed here for just one night for work. It is a really nice business style hotel with really lovely clean large rooms with views. The location is excellent and we walked everywhere as no need for taxis.The bar and food were excellent (I had tea and breakfast). I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Dear Mrs Williams,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review, we look forward to seeing you again very soon!