“Room was double booked!!”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street
Ranked #17 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Booked two rooms through booking.com for a one night stay on 1st Dec. 2012. Arrived at noon and left luggage and got usual receipt. Advised receptionist we would return following a family wedding after midnight and she marked this on the computer system.. Returned at 1.30 am to be told rooms had been double booked and nothing for us!! Waited for about one hour nothing suitable found as we were told there may be something at NEC or in Walsall which is very near to home. Left at 2.30 am and returned home by taxi and had to go back to Birmingham next day to get car. Not what you expect. Blamed on internet bookings and informed that this was not the first time such a thing had happened.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert S
There are newer reviews for Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street

Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a girly trip this weekend. Hotel ideally located at the end of broad street and doesn't look much from the outside but don't let that put you off. When you get into the hotel it is lovely. Rooms of a decent size an lovely decor. Staff were really helpful and friendly. Our stay included breakfast which was nice, lots to choose from. I have read some reviews complaining about the lack of choice which wasnt the case. I also heard another guest moaning to staff that she wanted fried eggs which wasn't available and calling the staff liars when they explained they are not on the menu. If this is all people have to moan about then they need to get a grip. I wouldn't recommend this hotel as it is value for money and clean.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 1 December 2012

It has taken us 5 years to find a good budget hotel in Birmingham, but i have to say this hotel was a pleasant surprise from the outside it looked the same as the Travelodge we stayed last year but into the lift and up 3 floors we where very surprised a lovely clean reception area, we where checked in and off to our rooms on the 5th floor.
our Rooms where very clean and well appointed bathroom spotless with a large walk in shower with loads of hot water.
The breakfast in the morning was buffet style and again plenty of the usual breakfast items, always well stocked.
if i had one niggle was the bar service was a tad slow you had to shout over to the reception to get service also the started to cash up at 22:30 so i handed over a £5 note for a drink and im still waiting for my change but if thats all i have to complain about i won't bother.
I can say now we will book this hotel again next year for our annual visit to Motorcycle live.
Thank you Hilton for bringing a quality budget hotel to Birmingham you are needed in that city because all the other budget hotels around you are terrible.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I stayed here whilst attending a function in Birmingham, I usually stay in the Burlington in the city center but as I was spending the evening in the Fiveways area this was closer. The room was perfect, clean, comfortable. What let the hotel down for me was the staff. Upon check-in the receptionist was miserable, no "Welcome to the Hampton" no smile, nothing, it was like it was an inconvenience to her, she probably spoke about 6 words to get my name, card and give me my key.

We all have bad days so I didn't say anything thinking it was a one off, only to have a repeat experience on checkout, no "How was your stay?" or "do you want me to call a taxi", it felt like the staff didn't really care which is not what i have come to expect from the Hilton family of hotels.

When i'm paying the same price as I would to stay in the Burlington i would expect the same quality of service, if not better from the Hilton chain, but the level of service doesn't live up to that of its bigger brothers.I will not be stopping again any time soon.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel. If you do stay here avoid the rooms by the elevator or you will be woken up...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for one night to see a show at the symphony hall and was pleasantly surprised! The outside of the hotel is deceiving as at first it looks quite dreary but it's lovely and modern inside.

The rooms were gorgeous with basics such as kettle, ironing board and iron and hair dryer. The bathroom was lovely with a huge shower. Because of this there is no bath but I wasn't fussed about it.

The bed is lovely and comfortable and although there are thin net curtains there are blinds behind which blocked out most of the day light. You will certainly sleep well! I went on a Monday so was not bothered by the noise that others have mentioned nor did I have any queues for anything. There was a student night on however at the club next door but we didn't hear anything on the 9th floor.

However I would have to agree with others who have stated that the staff aren't the friendliest. Dont get me wrong they aren't rude but they aren't the cheeriest bunch. There are no smiles, very little eye contact and certainly no good mornings or any pleasantries. Breakfast was basic as others have stated and wasn't the tastiest. There are lots of cereals to choose from but the choices ends there. The hot food was beans, sausage, bacon, some potato croquette things and scrambled eggs. No mushrooms or tomatoes or anything else to cater to vegetarians or non pork eaters. The eggs unfortunately where inedible ( never in my life have I had to spit food out into a tissue as I couldn't swallow it as it tasted so awful). There were activia yoghurts, croissants, toast and mini muffins with a good variety of jams and spreads. Juice was available as were hot drinks. The fruit section was a joke however.... 3 bowls of tinned fruit and the only fresh fruit were a few apples. However it's free so you can't complain too much I guess... But if you don't eat pork or tinned fruit then you might as well stay in bed and get breakfast elsewhere. I wish I had!

The location is excellent being straight on broad street and all in all it's a lovely hotel. It's a shame that the staff aren't a bit more cheerful but it didn't ruin my stay.

Tip: the heating is set so that u can't set the temperature higher than 25degrees and there is also a timer so that the heating cuts off after a short time. It was freezing when we got there and it stated the room temp was 20degrees. We tried to set the temperature higher but you can't set it for higher than 25degrees ( although the room will never even get to that temperature) and even though we kept the key card in the electricity box to keep the heating on when we went out it had always cut off by time we got back and the room was still cold. Although you can't change the max temp you can take off the timer in the settings which I strongly advise you do as it took 3 hrs for the room temperature to creep up about 2 degrees! And make sure the fan is on the maximum setting ( there are 3). Don't worry though there is an extra duvet and it did warm up eventually and was very comfortably warm during the night! When we left the next morning having had the heating on all night it had finally reached 24degrees and was finally so warm we actually had to turn the heating off before breakfast!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed for one night on a Friday. The hotel is in a great position on Broad Street and its an easy 5 minute walk to the city centre.
Reception is on the 3rd floor and the check in staff were not particularly welcoming, quite cool, going through the motions, no smiles or happy to see you’s. But they checked us into our room OK. We were told we were ineligible for Hilton Hhonours points as the room was booked through an agent, it’s a shame as other hotel chains do honour the points and maybe next time if we had the points we would book direct?
Anyway the room was OK, quite small, double bed which was comfortable enough for a one night stay, bathroom with dispensers on the wall for soap, shampoo and conditioner. Towels were small so don’t expect to be able to wrap yourself up in the towel. The TV worked OK and there was a clock to help you see the time in the dark. We were on the 17th (top) floor so didn’t suffer any noise from the streets.
Breakfast was very good, not as many choices as you may get. i.e. just croissants, no other bread options other than sliced bread. Buffet hot items – bacon, scrambled egg(no other egg choices), beans, mushrooms, potato. Plenty of cereal choice and hot drinks dispensed from a machine and jugs of juice. It was a perfectly adequate breakfast. The girl working in the restaurant worked tirelessly and very efficiently clearing the tables, and was also expected to help out on reception answering the phone!!!
Check out was slow as there was only one person on the desk and although not many people were waiting it took a while to get through what everyone wanted.
All in all a good stay at a perfectly adequate hotel, I would stay again, but would respectfully ask Hilton to review their terms and conditions for Hhonours points as it could reap more repeat business.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Chris B, Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Dear Claire55,

Thank you for leaving us a review, and I’m glad you found the hotel to be everything you required. In regard to the issue with your Hilton Honors Points, the premise of the scheme is to reward our guests for their loyalty and also for booking direct via Hilton World Wide, this also means extremely high travel agency commissions may be avoided and we can pass the benefit back onto our guests. Therefore we unfortunately cannot award points for accommodation booked through other agents, as the cost of the points and rewards you would personally be entitled to, is unfortunately taken up by these travel agency commissions, so please accept my apologies for this

Thanks again for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Kind Regards

Chris Brockbank
Operations Manager

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night when I went to a gig at one of the clubs on the same street. The location was brilliant - we walked to the club and walked to get food, and it was a short walk from the city centre - easy enough to find. The hotel itself was great - very clean, modern and comfortable. I stayed on the 16th floor and had great views out onto the city. The only complaint I had was that when we arrived there was a huge queue to check in. I don't know if there was some sort of event going on or if that's normal for a Saturday afternoon, but it's not like there could have been much done about it anyway. Also, you have to swipe your room card in the lift to get onto any floor above reception, which we thought was a great security feature. I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Sam R,

Another great review, thank you so much!

I agree that we boast a fantastic location, within easy walkable distances to all the major venues in Birmingham, and I’m delighted you got chance to take advantage of this!

We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future

Kind Regards