“Great location and rooms but breakfast is shambolic!”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street
Ranked #18 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Stayed here with my husband and another couple as a weekend break. We all agreed that the location is great and our rooms were lovely, modern and clean. We asked the receptionist for tips on where to eat and she booked us in at a great Indian restaurant just up the road offering 20% discount for hotel guests. The restaurant served great food and had a pleasant atmosphere. The only thing letting this hotel down is the breakfast which can only be described as shambolic. As we only stayed one night it wasn't too much of a problem, but, if staying longer it would have been annoying. Overall, I'd recommend to others and visit again if in the area. If breakfast issues could be remedied this would be an excellent hotel!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 December 2012

I stayed here for a night in November 2012. The Room was a good size and very good access to Birmingham city center. Modern hotel and amenities were well maintained. Did not even hear the party goers downstairs, The only let down was the breakfast, very basic!!! did not even do fried eggs.... no frills really.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2012

A second excellent stay. Excellent value for money, fab breakfast choice. Staff friendly and welcoming. Good location and quiet in rooms considering right on Broad St. Love the black out blinds had a great nights sleep, didn't want to get up!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I stayed in the Derby Hampton by Hilton with my partner and was really impressed by the quality of the rooms and decor so did not hesitate where to stay when I found out there was one in Birmingham.
The purpose of our visit was to see the German markets and finish the last of my Christmas shopping on the busiest shopping weekend of the year. As the shopping centres were only a 15min walk away the location was perfect.
Upon arriving I and my partner immediately unpacked all our belongings and headed straight out. Once we returned my first instinct was to head straight for the shower it had been a long wet Saturday afternoon!
After about 2-3mins I noticed the water was not draining I paid no attention and carried on thinking the water would catch up with itself. The next thing I know the water was covering my ankles and kissing the rim of the shower. I turned off the water immediately asked my partner to call through to reception.
He explained the situation and we were offered to change rooms in a 12 storey hotel the weekend before Christmas we could have been anywhere. At this point I was half shampooed/showered and all of our belongings were unpacked a room change was not an option. The person said they would come up as maintenance were not in and she couldn’t get hold of the general manager.
15 minutes later I called the reception as no one had appeared, still wet with shampoo in my hair I asked for a plunger so that I could plunge the drain myself, she said this wasn’t an option due to the nature of the drain a few minutes later she appeared to examine the drain at this point the water had gone down the drain it was about 15 minutes later.
She insisted on seeing the drain for herself so my partner put the shower on. After which she disappeared and said she would get another key to use the shower in for the evening. She returned and gave my partner access to the room next door but explained she couldn’t leave the key.
She left then left the latch on so my partner could get into the room much to his dismay the bathroom will have been pitch-black to the electricity card being taken away. At this point we were both so annoyed that it was ruining our evening. My partner had a very brief shower whilst I washed my hair in the sink.
For the £48 we spent on the room this was unacceptable. I don’t actually live with my partner so our time is precious together. That evening we missed our dinner reservations because we were late. Additionally there was no option about using another shower in the morning so we both went without one.
To put the icing on the cake my partner had to persuade reception for a complimentary late checkout for the inconvenience caused with the shower in the morning. The least that could have been done!
Fair to say I will not be using this hotel again. I understand it is fairly new so sometimes the customer service will not be 100% but it ruined what was supposed to be a romantic weekend away.

Room Tip: Ask for highest floor possible to avoid the Broad Street hustle and bustle. Check that your drain...
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stayed here 1 night and really enjoyed it. Good location, a clean and modern hotel. was a buffet and they had everything u could want for a breakfast . We didn't use the hotel car park but there is the shopping centre car park and it cost us £6.40 for 24 hours. The hotel is 10 mind walk to the Symphony Hall and start of the Christmas market. The NIA is also within walking distance. Will defiantly go there again next year.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank BandleaderLeics
Reviewed 24 December 2012

this hotel is beautiful, the rooms are lovely, have a big comfy bed, proper pillows, warm comfy quilt, very clean, all products in the bathroom were full, breakfast was good, was a lot of people there as we stayed 7th dec 2012 but had no problem getting breakfast or a seat to eat, right in the middle of broad street, a ncp car park at back of hotel and only cost £4.60 for the night, i have no complaints about this hotel and would stay again and recommend to all my friends and family.

Reviewed 23 December 2012

Hotel is in a great location. Extremely clean and very smart. Fantastic choice for breakfast - hot, continental and fruits too. Good car park too for £10. I will definately be staying at this hotel again.