“Great views from the 11th floor”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Great views from the 11th floor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night to attend a work training course in Birmingham. It cost £60 for a double room including breakfast. The hotel was a 20 minute walk from Birmingham New Street Station so I took a taxi instead for £4.40.

It was a bit confusing when I entered the building as the ground floor was empty with just 3 lifts. I only noticed the small sign saying the reception was on the 3rd floor after a while.

My room was located away from the lifts on the 11th floor, facing the back of the hotel. The room was clean, well furnished, very spacious, and had fantastic views of Birmingham. The bathroom was massive and well-equipped for disabled people. I’m not sure if all the bathrooms are like this, as I did not request disabled access. It also looked like it served as one of two adjoining rooms as it had a door that led directly to another room. Luckily this door was locked!

Breakfast was plentiful with hot and cold options. I was disappointed that they served scrambled eggs but not fried eggs. I was also surprised that they did not at least offer to make fried eggs on request, given the otherwise good standard of the hotel.

I had problems connecting to the Wi-Fi in my room and when I enquired at reception, they weren't very helpful apart from just telling me to open my internet browser and accept the conditions (this screen did not appear when I tried). The line was also bad when I tried to make phone calls on my mobile but this may have just been on the 11th floor.

I would stay here again and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Stay on the upper floors to get a good view. Also request a room away from the lifts, as some direct...
2 Thank Skylarks
Matt H, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, 25 May 2013
Thanks for your kind and honest feedback regarding your stay with us for business. As a brand we have a set breakfast menu which unfortunately doesn't include fried eggs. I am glad that overall you would recommend the hotel and return again. I have also passed your feedback to the reception team regarding WIFI and they apologise that they couldn't help you fully at the time.
We do hope you return to see us soon. Look out for our special offers over the summer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

My parents came to visit me and we stayed at the Hampton for 3 nights. As we walked through the entrance we didnt really now what to expect, as it's really small and we had do go by lift to get to the reception. But after we went up we were amazed. The staff were really friendly. By walking in to our room it was really great and better than we expected. The beds are very comfy and it's not easy to get up every moring. However it was quite in my parents room, my room was showing to the busy street side, so it was a bit louder but not in an annoying way. The Breakfast is a typical english breakfast but also a continental one. It's great and better than in other city Hotels we stayed before. The Hotel is in the heart of the city so it's not very far to go to the Bull Ring (shopping center) or the canal where a lot of Pubs and Restaurants are. After staying there for 3 nights we would definitely recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jen136
I'm so glad that we could look after you and your parents during your latest trip to Birmingham. The team at Hampton Birmingham are delighted that we exceeded your expectations.?
We do hope you and your family return to see us again soon. Look out for our special summer offers.
Manchester UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

I've stayed here quite a few times and have also put up clients here - We have a plant close to Birmingham. On the first few occasions I could not fault the place. Great friendly staff, spotless rooms, great amenities etc.

On this occasion though, I get the impression that things are slipping. The place is still very good - I will stay again - but there were a few niggles that I hope get resolved:

1) As the windows don't open in the rooms, the AC runs constantly at a low level. This has never been a problem before but the units seem to be starting to whistle
2) As I had this problem - and it was quite loud - I went to reception to ask if they could fix it. This was at 7pm and the receptionist seemed to panic saying there was nothing they could do and no one had complained before. She said she would come straight to my room to see. However, 10 minutes later she had not arrived. I went down stairs to see and she was still there saying she was waiting for someone to come back off their break. She did move my room - which solved the issue - but it did seem like a lot of hassle for her.
3) I booked for 1 night but when I checked in I asked if they could extend the stay at the same rate for 2 extra nights. They said this was no problem but on check out they tried to charge me an extra £30 for each night. They changed this immediately when I complained but a little annoying all the same.
4) The lifts cannot cope when the hotel is full and I had to wait quite a long time on each occasion.
5) There were footprints in the shower and I generally felt that the room had not been cleaned very thoroughly.
6) I needed a shirt laundering and was told to leave the laundry bag in a prominent place in the room. I left it in the middle of the entrance. The cleaners did not take it but just moved it to the side so I was left with no clean shirt.

I accept that each one of these complaints in itself is picky, but adding them all together I worry about the way the hotel is going. They definitely don't seem to be able to cope when its busy.

Please try to get back to the standards you used to have!

2 Thank Marraminga
Hi thank you for you honest and continued feedback. I am sorry that you had a few minor issues on your last stay with us and can only apologies for this.
The team at Hampton Birmingham work had to make sure we look after all our guests, I would love to have the opportunity to speak to you further and help understand your concerns so we can get it right for future trips.
If you would further assistance please drop me a note to gm@hamptonbirmingham.com
Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

This was booked through work for a conference. The entrance to the building being quite small, I didn't quite know what to expect but upon walking in to my room I was amazed. The bedroom was clean and modern. The bathroom had a brilliantly large shower, including shampoo, conditioner, handwash and moisturiser. I also used the iron and ironing board which worked really well. Plus there were the tea/coffee making facilities.

There was a large option for breakfast, however I cannot comment any further than my tasty coffee and Frosties. My only struggle was connecting to the wifi but I really wasn't too bothered otherwise I'm sure reception would have been helpful with regard to this.

I've no idea whether this hotel is intended for the budget market or not. I would definitely stay here again if I was ever back in Birmingham, however I might look for a deal compared to the price my work paid for the room (£75 / night).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Lianne-KF
Matt H, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Wow - we are so glad that you loved the hotel whilst you were with us on business.
We are classed as a Focused Service Hotel (Budget), so we are delighted that we exceeded your expectations.
Please do come and join us again and watch out for those special deals through our website.
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

We were very impressed with the satff at this hotel, without exception they were first rate. Sited on Broad Street, we stayed sun and mon nights when the clubbers were not about but this might be an issue at street level at weekends. Our room on tenth floor was recently refurbished and was excellent. Our twin beds were large and comfortable, decor very pleasant. We were delighted with the hotel. Breakfast was pleasant, good range and free paper. For the price, this was an excellent experience just minutes stroll from the Rep and Town Hall

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank heathraven
Thank you for taking the time to write such positive feedback. The team at the Hampton Birmingham are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves on the highest customer service and are so glad that you could experience this throughout your stay.
We do hop to see you again the next time you are in Birmingham.
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Despite it's unusual layout and not very appealing frontage this hotel was great. Rooms are clean and well appointed. Towels and shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, handwash & moisturiser all supplied. Hairdryer was great! Iron and ironing board supplied as well as tea/coffee making facilities.
Breakfast was great too with hot and cold options, as much as you can eat.
Reception on 3rd floor a bit strange but staff were friendly and accommodating. Would stay here again if I was ever visiting Birmingham.

2 Thank Julie M
Matt H, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave such wonderfull feedback, it really matters to the team at Hampton that our guests take the time to leave thier views.
We are so glad that we looked after you and we hope to see you back with us in the very near future.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

We had booked tickets to see Eddie Izzard at the NIA and found this hotel to be really cheap for a one night stay (found on onhotel.com). The situation was fantastic, right on Broad Street, just a few minutes walk from the venue.

The hotel itself was very clean and the staff were very polite. In fact, the only slight criticism I have is that the breakfast wasn't overly satisfying. The food tasted cheap. That being said, there was such a variety of food and drink available, that there will be something for all.

Aside from the breakfast, this was a perfect hotel for our needs, and somewhere I would definitely look for again, when we are next in Birmingham

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrAclarke
Team Birmingham Hampton are so glad that you enjoyed your evening away to watch Eddie at the NIA. Thanks for leaving such kind feedback and we are so so glad that we could look after you on your trip to Birmingham. Do come back and see us soon.