“Poor service and dirty bathroom lets down what could be a great proposition”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street
Ranked #19 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Ireland
“Poor service and dirty bathroom lets down what could be a great proposition”
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

This was a one night stay in room 807
Good: the location of the hotel couldn't be faulted if you're heading to Birmingham for a big night out - Broad Street appears to be the centre of Birmingham's nightlife. It's 20 minutes walk (up a few small hills) from New Street station, with lots of bars, pubs and restaurants. The room itself was nicely laid out, good colour scheme, comfortable bed, spacious and the bathroom was lovely too (there's a 'but' later). The WiFi access was good, and I couldn't hear the noise from the road from my room, although I was at the back of the hotel.
Breakfast (included in my rate) was a reasonable selection; yoghurt, cereals, fruits, toast, muffins, pastries, scrambled eggs, baked beans, sausages, hash brown bites, juices, teas and coffees. It was crowded and busy, with a self service offering, but well able to set you up for the day or help your hangover.
Bad: when I first tried to book, I needed a third party credit card form to be sent to me as I had been mugged and was waiting for my new credit card to be issued. Despite repeated emails, multiple phone calls and several promises, this took nearly two weeks to do. In the meantime, the rate increased. They seemed more worried about getting me to book direct (at a worse rate!), than actually doing what I asked. Clearly listening to your customers isn't top of the priority list, although the reservations manager did offer me a drink at the bar as apology.
Check out time was advertised as 11am, with breakfast ending at 10am. So having my door knocked on at 9.15 by the cleaning staff asking when I was going to vacate the room was insulting as I was still asleep! Although I would have welcomed her five minutes later as when I went to take my first shower, I discovered two pubic hairs - yuck!
Finally the toilet seat fixing was broken, which should have been noted and fixed by housekeeping. This made me question why housekeeping was so keen to get into my room, and what exactly were they cleaning as it didn't appear to be the bathrooms!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank girlinterested
Chris B, Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, I was happy to read you were pleased with our accommodation, but let me apologise for our failings on this occasion, when it comes to our Housekeeping department, rest assured your comments will be circulated to avoid such happenings in the future, thanks again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Donetsk, Ukraine
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Excellent hotel in all areas and highly recommend staying here. The room was excellent and the bed very comfortable. The location is perfect and ideal for all the major attraction in Birmingham and staff are brilliant and always there to help you in anyway.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

2 Thank Arkadiy V
Thanks for the great review, and glad to hear our team looked after you so well!
Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed here on a Friday night after a night out with friends. Room was very clean, nice big shower room and had a great view. Despite being on Broad Street the room was extremely quiet. Just remember to turn your air con on, I stupidly didn't!

Room Tip: 9th floor was quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Charlotte O
Chris B, Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
What a lovely review, thank you for taking the time to share your experience!
London
Reviewed 30 May 2013

The rooms are clean and very well appointed. can not fault.
great location to the night life. Breakfast was good, but was always a queue waiting for cooked breakfast. but food was acceptable, minimal selection but as to birtish hotel standards. Great coffee and juice machines.
Staff very helpful and curtious, clean and well presented.

My big gripe, and only one! is the rooms are too hot to sleep. got to our room, turned on the AC, left it 3 hours, watched a movie and still the room was too hot. I got house keeping up to help they agreed room was too hot gave me another room on the same floor, but discovered the AC is not that at all, its an air cooler... just a fan basically! they managed to find a fan for me, which was amazing. First hotel I have found so so accomodating and to find night staff that have a good understanding of english was also a bonus! all in all great hotel, but a comfortable sleep is important.

Room Tip: High up away from partying noise and away from lifts is always a bonus.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dhaud S
Matt H, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave such great feedback. The Hampton Birmingham Broad Street Team are delighted that you have recognised them for all their efforts to look after you. Thanks for mentioning the Air Con we can now look at this to see what improvements we can make.
We look forward to seeing you back with us very soon.
Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We booked three rooms with friend, excellent room, tidy and clean and pleasant staff. Our friends had a problem with the shower not being clean and a member of staff came and cleaned it immediately. Good English breakfast. Easy to reach restaurants along canal and not too far from Jewelry Quarter and city centre.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Derek W
Chris B, Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thank you for the great review, sorry to hear about the problem with your friends shower, but im glad to hear we rectified it immediately, thanks again and see you soon!
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We booked an overnight stay as we had tickets for a show in Birmingham. We found the hotel to be very clean, with a relaxed informal atmosphere and friendly staff. However a downside was the bar. Following the show we decided to call for a nightcap in the hotel bar. My partner's chosen drink is whisky and mine brandy. However on placing our order the barman informed us that they had no brandy behind the bar. Bearing in mind the size of the hotel and number of guests I find it odd that one of the main spirits you expect to see was not in supply! The other slight down side was with breakfast. There was plenty of scrambled egg on offer but neither of us like this so asked if it was possible to order 2 fried eggs. This is a request we have made at other hotels and has not been a problem. Unfortunatley for us we were told this could not be done. We still enjoyed our stay but just felt that a little more thought and effort would have gone a long way.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julie W
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you suffered at the bar, we do stock brandy, however clearly we had run out of stock on this occasion, also unfortunately being a focused service hotel we don't have the facility to cook in hot oils, so fried eggs are not possible, so my apologies again.
I do hope these oversights do not deter you from visiting us again, and I hope to see you soon
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Stayed for 1 night as we went to see Beyonce in the LG Arena. Location was fine for getting around the city centre but a little bit rough during the evening as its in the middle of a street full of bars. That said it didn't spoil are stay, we had a nice time, the room was fine and clean. We asked for a late checkout and they were able to accommodate us, which was great.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gemmap81
Thank you for the review, its great to hear that you were that you found the bed that comfy that you wanted to stay in it for longer!