“First impressions form lasting opinions.”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street
Ranked #18 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Although there was much worthy of favourable comment at this hotel, it left me with a bad impression, and when I read the remarks posted on Booking.com, along with my own, I see I am not alone, similar complaints were oft repeated by other guests.
Firstly, I will give credit where it is due - the hotel is light, airy, modern, spotlessly clean, and has comfortable beds, spacious rooms, and superb facilities. Clearly it has undergone a costly refurbishment recently, which means the standard of the actual rooms, especially at the price, outshines anything I have experienced in London , Manchester, etc.
However, two other important criteria failed the otherwise excellent satisfaction test noticeably: attention to detail, and staff attitude. The room was not ready when I arrived hot,tired and hungryt at 3.45p.m, after a long rail journey on a sweltering day, even though I had booked well in advance. I was kept waiting around the front desk for almost an hour, despite being disabled, and telling the totally uninterested reception staff that I needed a drink, shower, change, meal and taxi to a venue where I had a ticket for a 6 p.m performance, and the clock was ticking away.
There was only one very po-faced, uncommunicative receptionist, with a young girl assistant, to deal with everything. They made no attempt at eye contact, welcome, smile even, or courtesy to keep me informed regarding availability of my room. Every enquiry from me received the same programmed response -" it will only be a few minutes", or "won't be long now".
When a key was finally handed over, with no advice as to how the lift worked, I made it to the 10th floor only to find the key couldn't open the door!..Eventually help came . Once inside, the room was like an oven, a the blinds didn't work, the windows didn't open (no air conditioning).
By this time, I was extremely stressed, had only time for a quick shower / change /coffee, before getting a taxi to my concert, with no time to find a restaurant and have something to eat. So I spent the evening tired, hungry, with a headache, didn't enjoy the event I had spent so much to attend, and thinking how different it could have been, had the hotel experience not been so poor.
The airless room meant a fitful night's sleep, despite the lovely big bed and many pillows.
I told the reception staff I would be asking for a refund in line with their promise. Since then, I see there have been some good reviews, so maybe they got their act together, but I still feel I was badly let down. Awaiting reply from management, but not holding my breath !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank mariecorina
Matt H, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

We are sorry that you felt let down by your recent stay at the hotel and we would like to discuss this further with you to understand your concerns. Please feel free to send me your contact details to gm@hbhbroadstreet.com

There are newer reviews for Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Loved our stay at this hotel, staff were friendly and helpful, check in was quick and easy, room was lovely, comfy and clean had everything that you would need for a nice night! Location is good for clubbing however i was shopping and its about a 10-15 minute walk to the centre, however this wasn't a problem for us! Really enjoyed our breakfast there was a good selection and it was all lovely!! car park is really handy and fairly priced all in all a great hotel.. will definitely recommend and stay again when we visit Birmingham!!
One tiny moan i have is that someone rang our hotel room telephone asking for directions to the hotel and if has a car park obviously trying to get through to hotels main reception!

Room Tip: Higher Floors are better as there's less noise as street is busy throughout the day and especial...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

We are so glad you enjoyed your shopping trip and your stay with us recently. Thanks for the kind feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

From the outside, the hotel looks a bit grim - very 1960's tower block - but inside it's modern, fresh and clean.
Our room was on the 8th floor with a great view. The bed was very comfortable and we had a great night's sleep. Broad Street on a Saturday night is hen and stag party heaven and there were quite a few parties in the hotel. When we've stayed in other hotels, this has sometimes caused problems with people marauding up and down the corridors in the early hours but the insulation must have been good as we didn't hear a thing.
There was a good choice of food at breakfast. The hot food was a bit of a let down as it seemed to have been under heat lamps for a while and the bacon was like leather but the rest was fine.
A good value, comfortable hotel & we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

It was great to hear that the building didn't deter you from staying and you recognised our modern decor inside the hotel. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Stopped here with friends on a boozy wk end away having previously stopped at the new one in Derby.

Great location & very modern rooms right in the centre of broad street, perfect for walking/eating/drinking around Brindley Place/mailbox (10 min walk).

You will not get better VFM around, the price also includes a buffet self service breakfast, on site parking is available for a charge, around £8 for 24hrs stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

We are so glad that you enjoyed your boozy weekend in Birmingham. Thanks for taking the time to leave great feedback and we very much look forward to seeing you back with us for another great weekend in the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I booked a room at this hotel at short notice and was most impressed with the price - £58 for a room and cooked breakfast for two people. The room had lovely modern decor and was well appointed, with a fantastic shower, lovely choice of toiletries, tea tray, flat screen tv and a great air conditioning system ( which we needed as it was the hotest weekend of the year so far). The hotel was well situated in Broad Street, amongst all of the bars and restaurants. Breakfast was a little chaotic, as we went to the restaurant at a busy time - 10:30 on Sunday morning. Nevertheless, the hot and cold buffet provided a good choice and great quality. We would definitely recommend this hotel, and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Great views from rooms on higher floors ( we were on 14th floor)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to leave some great feedback, we have noted your comments regarding breakfast and are working hard to ease the volume at peak times for you and our guests.
We hope to see you back very soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Our stay at The Hampton happened only last night but I must say we had a brilliant stay in room 805. The complimentary breakfast was superb as was the standard of our room!

Highly recommend for a stay over in birmingham.

Stayed: July 2013
Chris B, Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

What a great review, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences, we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future!

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Compared to other hotels I have stayed at in Birmingham, I felt this hotel was very good value for money. I enjoyed a guest room and bathroom with modern fittings, and breakfast and a wireless Internet connection that were included in the price. The hotel was conveniently located on Broad Street near restaurants and shops, and was within walking distance of Five Ways train station (which is only one stop from Birmingham New Street, the main station).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Chris B, Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Thank you for the great review, I'm delighted to hear you took full advantage of our Free Wi-Fi and Complimentary Breakfast during your visit, we look forward to seeing you again soon!