“Lovely room shame about the god awful staff!”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Lovely room shame about the god awful staff!”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed here last Saturday, room was spotless as always! No problems whatsoever until the morning, went down for breakfast with no shoes. Nowhere does it state you need to wear shoes may I add. I understand that I may of stood on something etc, but I had thought about this before I went down for breakfast. I was confronted by some shirty woman pretty much screaming in my face that I needed shoes, so I had to return to my room. In turn ruining my breakfast as it had gone cold!! She returned a few minutes later attempting to clear my friends trays even though they had gone to get more breakfast. She didn't even ask if we were finished and along with our trays she had taken a room key which had been left on the tray so it wouldn't get lost.
Overall we slept well and location is perfect for going out at night, but the stay was definitely ruined by that woman.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
DonnellGrandison, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Charlie2708

I am so pleased to hear of the highlights of your stay with us at the Hampton By Hilton and how spotless you found the hotel.. Fantastic.
In regards to your experience in the morning at breakfast, we consider you coming down with no shoes on to a public area a potential health and safety issue, we will always do what is best to look after our guests and that can be asking in a polite manner for guests to wear shoes in public areas.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I rarely leave bad reviews about hotels but here goes….after arriving at the Hampton by Hilton Broad St at 11pm on a Thursday night after a long day working and travelling we were told that the hotel was overbooked and that they’d have to send us to another hotel. After a bit of wrangling we finally managed to secure a twin room for the night, on the basis that we’d have to move to a double room the next day. A group of 4 girls checking in at the same time as us weren’t so lucky and were waiting for their taxi to take them to another hotel. Reading back on other reviews of this hotel this seems to be a regular occurrence at this hotel???

Other bad points:
- Both rooms we stayed in had blocked drains resulting in flooded bathroom floors (also a frequent theme in other reviews).
- Our room wasn’t made up on Saturday even though we were out of the room all day (and didn't leave the 'Do Not Disturb' sign up).
- The scrambled eggs are so rubbery that they squeak when you bite into them.
- After we aired our grievances on Saturday evening, a manager was supposed to speak to me at checkout (but wasn’t available) and then by email (none received as yet).

Good points:
- Apart from the eggs, the breakfast is quite good.
- The staff were all very pleasant
- The hotel is well located and nicely decorated.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely not. There are plenty of other similar priced hotels in the area that I’d return to first.

Room Tip: Room 618 is right in front of the lift so can be very noisy.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear cmn12340

Let me start by explaining how saddened I was to read your recent review, under no circumstance is this our normal level of service or a regular occurrence at the Hampton By Hilton.
We welcome all feedback and will use all feedback you have provided us with constructively and take it on board.
On a positive note, I am pleased to hear that there were positive aspects to your stay, such as team service and our location.
I would be grateful if you could email with your details so we can resolve this and look further into what happened on this particular night.
Customer.relations@hbhbroadstreet.com

Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Stayed here for one night with my wife and grand daughter to attend a graduation ceremony at the Symphony Hall. We found it difficult to get to the car park but phoned reception and they guided us in. We had a family room which was very comfortable. Not a lot of space once the sofa bed is made but this was not a problem. The hotel was very busy but the staff coped admirably. Breakfast is included and was good though it was difficult to get seated.

My only criticism is getting from your room to the car park with luggage. I had to get a lift to reception, get out and then get in a different lift to the car park. At a busy period in the morning, this took some doing.

Having said that, I would happily stay here again and the price was excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hi Hibby,

I would like to say thank you for taking your time to write such a great review.
We are pleased to hear that the team helped guide you to our onsite car park and you were pleased with the service, this is what we pride ourselves on at the Hampton By Hilton Broad Street.
I shall certainly make sure that all your compliments are passed on to all the team.
We hopefully look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The frontage of this hotel is in the middle of a very seedy area of kebab bars and nightclubs - not anywhere you'd want to walk alone at night. Inside it is quite a surprise because the rooms are very good indeed with excellent views from the higher floors. However, the breakfast, if you can call it that, was quite the worst I have ever ever had. There is very little choice and it is overwhelmingly plastic - yuch!

Room Tip: As high as you can and away from the lift.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Schnittmistress69
Good Morning Schnittmistress69
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate all your feedback and will certainly take it all on board.
With that said, thank you for your lovely comments in regards to our room.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed here for one night midweek as going to concert at NIA. Didn't use hotel carpark as found one across the road which was cheaper. Perfect location for NIA and about 20 min walk to Bullring. Some confusion on arrival with booking as tried to give us a double room when we had booked a triple. However got it sorted finally and the room was spotless with a great size sofa bed. One little niggle was we had to ask twice for the sofa bed to be made up. Breakfast was a little like an Ikea/canteen experience with red plastic trays and self service but food choice was good. We had a special offer booking at less than £50 for a one night stay and breakfast for 2 people which was a bargain. I would stay again with a similar deal but would not pay regular rates.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank morefizzplease
DonnellGrandison, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are happy that you were pleased with our location. Being so close to the city centre and the N.I.A , as well as a variety of bars and restaurants certainly is indeed a great asset.

Thank you once again for your comments and we shall look forwards to welcoming you back in the near future.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed here to see the awesome Michael Buble at NIA, which is 5 mins walk from hotel. Excellent location, right next door to the nightlife and city centre. Approx 15mins walk from New Street Station and surrounded by shops, bars, eateries etc, and all for the bargain price of less then £60. We were given twin room on 17th floor, large beds, spotless room, all the usual amenities, what more could you want. Breakfast was all self service, all well stocked, hot and cold food available (all included in price). Nice friendly staff. Grab yourself a bargain, just be patient with the lifts! Would definitely stay here again :-)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear ilovepefkos

Thank you for taking the time to write this kind review and we are very pleased to read that you found your stay with us very comfortable and the price and location pleasing.
Sounds like you had loads of fun at Michael Buble, and hopefully we can welcome you back next time he is down the road at the N.i.a, or sooner.
I shall make sure I pass your comments onto the team.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed in a good sized twin room with my daughter. The decor and furnishings were all fresh and modern with a comfortable feel to the room. Good sized shower room was well fitted out and plenty of nice towels. The hotel was quiet at night and beds were comfy so we had a great night's sleep.
Breakfast was a relaxed affair in the bright lounge/dining area. There was lots of choice with items replenished regularly and tables tidied promptly. Would stay here again if visiting Birmingham again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Burkey67
DonnellGrandison, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Good Evening Burkey67

What can I say but having a great nights sleep is what its all about and we are happy you did.
I am pleased to read that you also enjoyed our location, overall we are proud to have been shared such a positive experience and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.