“Nearly there but not quite”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Nearly there but not quite”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Welcome and staff are very friendly and helpful. Food i thought was bang on the money. Relatively cheap for a business orientated hotel. Its clean, relatively new and just 5 minutes away from Birmingham New Street.

I attended the hotel on business, 2 x days of high pressured meetings. I needed to perform and be to be fresh. Despite arriving late 11pm, i was able to order a pizza which hit the spot.

Sleeping and feeling fresh was my problem. I found the walls thin. With this i could hear most things from the person next door and just the way it goes, someone who stayed up late. The following evening i was kept awake my a group of hotel guests drunk, moving up and down the corridor around 12 and again 1am. Disrupted sleep. I put this down in part down to possible bad luck or given 2 disrupted nights on the trot, travellers who are either not business orientated or are hear to soak up the nightlife. For me, the lack of sleep impacted on performance, i guess it depends on whether you need value or quality.

On waking, after disruption, the water was cool or luke warm. Having questioned at reception, this would seem to be down to booking a disabled room. Our company books through a third agent and apparently they book the disabled rooms as they are slightly cheaper than the standard room. This simply means that they pocket an extra profit. This is partly for me to challenge back with our third party but if youre looking for a hot shower, make sure youve not booked into a disabled room.

The jury is out for me. 2 x nights on business equated to 4 hours sleep all in all. Whether its the fault of the hotel im not 100% sure but as a result, its just not quite there.

Room Tip: Don't opt for a disabled if you're looking for a hot shower. Water temp. Is set to cool.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 4Surrey_Travellers
Hampton_DeputyGM, Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear 4Surrey_Travellers
Thank you for your fair review of the hotel.
I am sorry you were not 100% happy with your stay and I will review your feedback with the team. Our maintenance will look at the regulator in the rooms to ensure they are delivering the correct safe water temperature consistently to the rooms.
Unfortunately I cannot comment on the third party agent you booked with, if this is something they are doing then that would have to be something you would have to contact them about.
I am pleased the team welcomed you and were friendly during your 2 night stay.

Chris.trow@hbhbroadstreet.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We booked one night in this hotel. It's very conveniently located in the centre of the city and handy for the National Indoor Arena. Unfortunately, on this occasion the hotel became fully booked out by a large number of people aiming to spend the evening at a massive party at one of tha many nightclubs on broad street. This might not have been a problem had our 17th. floor room been located exactly opposite the lifts with a fire door right outside. A lot of coming and going, and noise throughout the night. Now even this might have been bearable had it not been for the closer on the fire door being broken such that instead of closing slowly and quietly, this massive fireproof door slammed heavily back into the frame every time someone passed through - at 5 minute intervals throughout the night. A call to reception at about 2:00 AM brought no relief. At 3:00 AM we gave up, checked out, and headed home.

In fairness to the hotel, they readily agreed a full refund. It only took another 4 weeks dealing with a sullenly unhelpful Expedia to actually get our money back.

The hotel should note that a faulty door closer is a major safety problem - the heavy door can easily slam shut on a person's hand and cause serious injury.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear RichardMer

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay due to other guests within the hotel.
I am pleased the team agreed to refund your stay immediately, however I cannot comment on third party agents like Expedia.
We had reported the door to the company that maintains the door shutters to have this repaired. Due to the nature of the door we cannot wedge it open; this breaks all health and safety laws.
I do apologise again that this disturbed your nights sleep.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

My only complaint about this Hotel is how hot the rooms get but it is not a biggie , staff are amazingly friendly and cheerful and honestly could not fault anything else about the Hotel itself.
However we did book 3 nights and after 1 night we had to leave to come home very quickly due to a family matter, my Husband in our rush to get packed etc and get home forgot he had his Mobile phone on charge and we left without it. We didn't realise until we got home and phoned to ask if we could pay for postage and packaging and it to be sent on and were told it wasn't a problem they would forward it to us .. Great or so we thought! The Charger arrived today, it was sent in an ordinary paper envelope that had a see through window , the see through window had a giant hole in it and there was no phone, so we not only lost the money we paid for 3 nights (no complaint or fault of the Hotel at all) but we have now lost his phone, to send a charger and Mobile phone in a paper envelope is really reckless but hey I suppose us leaving it are to blame :-(

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
DonnellGrandison, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Diane K

I am sorry to hear that you had a family emergency and had to rush away from the hotel, I hope everything is okay now.

In regards to the charger sent in the post, I would like to discuss this further with you. Please email me.

donnell.grandison@hbhbroadstreet.com

Kind Regards
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Great location as right on broad street, decent checkout time and great views from the 7th floor! Room was quite warm and weird set up with reception on the 3rd floor! Bathroom was massive and room was very clean! Loved it and will be back!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank covlad1987
Dear covlad1987

I am so pleased to read how you loved the Hampton experience.
I shall be sending your comments around our team and heads of departments, I can assure you they will be over the moon.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again very soon

Kind Regards
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Needing stopover after concert at Symphony Hall, and having previously stayed at an extremely noisy Travelodge, tried the Broad Street Hilton this time round. Suited us much better. Secure and convenient car parking to begin with, followed by extremely spacious and wonderfully quiet (OK, the air conditioning did hum a bit - but not enough to bother me - and you could turn it off) and well appointed room - with really comfortable bed and plenty enough pillows. And, there were so many good things, a great walk in shower. All in all we felt extremely spoiled - and all at a reasonable price - and it included breakfast! As much as you wanted and suitable for my husband's full English taste - and for my healthy options! (well, apart from the croissants - but that's my treat). And all the staff were v helpful - and they all seemed to be singing from the same song sheet. All in all highly recommended for a central Birmingham overnight that's an oasis of calm in an extremely noise Broad Street.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Hampton_DeputyGM, Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Julia H
What a great review!!
Thank you so much for the feedback, the team and I are thrilled you and your husband enjoyed your stay and all the elements of the stay including breakfast.
We hope to see you both very soon.
(p.s no one saw you eat the croissant so it’s our little secret)
Cullompton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here 19th June as part of a 9 room business booking. Initially booked for location to attend an evening event at the ICC which is easily reached by a 5 min walk. First impressions very good, plenty of secure on site parking, friendly welcome & easy check-in. Room perfectly adequate for an overnight stay, nice bathroom with walk-in shower, good storage space, mirrors, plug points, TV, tea/coffee & nice comfy bed. I returned early hours of the morning, hotel very quiet - perfect for a good nights sleep. I didn't have breakfast but colleagues said it was good. Will stay again if in the same area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Amanda S
We are all thrilled that you and your colleagues enjoyed the stay you had while attending the ICC down the road.
We are ideally located for this and I am pleased you found that too.
We look forward to seeing you and your colleagues again soon.
Derbyshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Having stayed at the Hamton by Hilton in Derby we were excited to book at this location but were disappointed by this site. The rooms were only half the size as the ones in Derby - supposedly due to the fact that Birmingham is a far busier city than Derby and space is premium? Also the rooms had an odd smell which we believe was due to the filter in the air con which the panel stated needed changing. We did contact reception - the staff were much obliging and changed our room but we experienced the same problem - we were told that this was a matter for house=keeping and not to worry. The air con was very inadequate and the room was extremely hot - we were given a fan by the staff but it didn't really help to cool the room. As always the breakfast was brilliant and the staff here are lovely. It's just suprising how different hotels in the same chain but different locations can be.

Room Tip: We asked for a room on the 17th floor and the views are ace but be prepared for a very stuffy and ho...
Dear DerbyshireBliss

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel after your recent stay.
I am sorry that you experienced some issues with the Air con during your stay. We are working hard to get this sorted. I am pleased thou to read that the team tried for you and found them all helpful and lovely. These are the hardest things to get right but seems the team have got the service correct.
Once the air con is rectified you will enjoy the hotel and the faith in the brand will be restored.
I do hope you will return and give the team the pleasure to look after you again.