“Air con problems”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street
Ranked #18 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Here 3 weeks ago and the air con wasn't working. Changed room no problem. Back again and a different room's air con wasn't working. Staff admitted problems with most rooms but ? Why taking this length of time to fix. Will not come back

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Hampton_DeputyGM, Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Westphalian3665

Thank you for your feedback. In answer to your question on Trip Advisor: the issue we had 3 weeks ago is not the same issue as the one you had on your previous stay. We have several units and as we fix one another one has an issue. The parts we need have to come from a different country. I can assure you we are working on this and spending every effort to get this fixed. We have heavily invested in this but is out of the control of the hotel and the team.
I am sorry didnt have the experience we aim to deliver on this occassion, but once this issue is fixed i am sure you will have a great stay if you return again.

Regards

There are newer reviews for Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The hotel was spotless, the staff friendly and helpful, great location for walking back after a night out on Broad Street if you are on a hen night. The security is very good at the hotel and you are well looked after. The lifts are odd, once you have allowed for the service lift and figured out the customer lifts, there is only one that takes you to the car park, they takes ages to come so if you are fit enough to take the stairs do so! The buffet style breakfast is lovely but take the hotel advice and don't leave it to the last hour as it gets very busy, the hotel could do with putting a member of staff on table allocation as you do get couples taking tables for 4 etc which is not helpful. Overall would recommend.

Room Tip: check your curtains - ours didn't have one across the main window and the sun came up early and...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
DonnellGrandison, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Sharon T

Thank-you for your wonderful and fun review of the Hampton Birmingham Broad Street.

I am so pleased you noticed our versatility for weekend guest from couples to hens, for us the most important factor is great service, from the 4 stars you have awarded us I see we did this for you.

We hope to welcome you back very soon

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I arrived after a difficult train journey from London and was greeted at the third floor reception by Alice. Despite my early arrival Alice confirmed there was a room available and additionally my request for a high up a room as possible was also met. Check in was pretty swift and within a few minutes I was in the lift on my way up to my 15th floor room. The room was more spacious then I had imagined and all the amenities that you would expect for a Hilton family hotel were available. Being so high up I could see quite away into the distance and of course onto the busy Broad Street below.
The bed was very comfortable and despite the reviews complaining about the air conditioning, there are very simple operating instructions to switch it up down or off! I had a very comfortable noiseless nights sleep.
As my train back to London wasn't until after 1pm I decided to have a late breakfast and so headed for the dining area around 9.15am. There was plenty on offer including the usual bacon,sausage, eggs etc. There were also a choice of cereals, yogurts, various fruit, pastries, fresh orange juice, etc. All self-help as you would expect. Again for all the people who have complained about the lack of choice and service during breakfast, I'm not sure where they were eating! The waiting staff could not have been more helpful and in my opinion a more than reasonable food choice was on offer.
After breakfast I spoke with the lovely Alice on reception and asked if I could possibly have a slightly later checkout (usually 11am). She was only too happy to help and allowed a later exit.
Although I only stayed for 1 night I cannot recommend the hotel enough. The service was exemplary and the amenities much better than I would expect . A big thank you to Alice for her fantastic service.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1515 which was away from the lifts and on its own small corridor
1  Thank DupedLondon
DonnellGrandison, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear DupedLondon

I am so pleased to read your review of our hotel and thank you for the 5 stars.

Alice as you mentioned is a great asset to our team and understands the importance of great customer service and therefore she will be made well aware of your review and acknowledged.

I am over the moon you enjoyed the stay at the Hampton and we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

What a great hotel. I paid £60 for a large room including breakfast. Parking is around the back in a multi-story and it will cost you an extra £10 for 24 hours (An area is set aside for the hotel visitors and you can get an extension of a few hours at no extra cost). The room was clean, spacious and well-equipped. The bed was large and comfortable. I asked for a quiet room and on the top floor I certainly got it. Staff were polite and helpful. You can walk into the city centre in less than 20 minutes. If you don't fancy walking there are lots of buses. Breakfast is buffet style. I would have liked a choice of fried egg (scrambled egg only which was rather dry). Really great value for money and highly recommended. I cannot see how you could get better for the money and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Hi ApprenticeEly

I would like to say a huge Thank -you for the 5stars you have awarded us.
We are so pleased by your positive comments and look forward to sharing this with the rest of the team,

I am so glad to hear you wouldn't hesitate to stay with us again as we would love to have you back.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Welcome and staff are very friendly and helpful. Food i thought was bang on the money. Relatively cheap for a business orientated hotel. Its clean, relatively new and just 5 minutes away from Birmingham New Street.

I attended the hotel on business, 2 x days of high pressured meetings. I needed to perform and be to be fresh. Despite arriving late 11pm, i was able to order a pizza which hit the spot.

Sleeping and feeling fresh was my problem. I found the walls thin. With this i could hear most things from the person next door and just the way it goes, someone who stayed up late. The following evening i was kept awake my a group of hotel guests drunk, moving up and down the corridor around 12 and again 1am. Disrupted sleep. I put this down in part down to possible bad luck or given 2 disrupted nights on the trot, travellers who are either not business orientated or are hear to soak up the nightlife. For me, the lack of sleep impacted on performance, i guess it depends on whether you need value or quality.

On waking, after disruption, the water was cool or luke warm. Having questioned at reception, this would seem to be down to booking a disabled room. Our company books through a third agent and apparently they book the disabled rooms as they are slightly cheaper than the standard room. This simply means that they pocket an extra profit. This is partly for me to challenge back with our third party but if youre looking for a hot shower, make sure youve not booked into a disabled room.

The jury is out for me. 2 x nights on business equated to 4 hours sleep all in all. Whether its the fault of the hotel im not 100% sure but as a result, its just not quite there.

Room Tip: Don't opt for a disabled if you're looking for a hot shower. Water temp. Is set to cool.
1  Thank 4Surrey_Travellers
Hampton_DeputyGM, Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham Broad Street, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear 4Surrey_Travellers
Thank you for your fair review of the hotel.
I am sorry you were not 100% happy with your stay and I will review your feedback with the team. Our maintenance will look at the regulator in the rooms to ensure they are delivering the correct safe water temperature consistently to the rooms.
Unfortunately I cannot comment on the third party agent you booked with, if this is something they are doing then that would have to be something you would have to contact them about.
I am pleased the team welcomed you and were friendly during your 2 night stay.
Kindest Regards

Chris Trow
Deputy General Manager
Chris.trow@hbhbroadstreet.com

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We booked one night in this hotel. It's very conveniently located in the centre of the city and handy for the National Indoor Arena. Unfortunately, on this occasion the hotel became fully booked out by a large number of people aiming to spend the evening at a massive party at one of tha many nightclubs on broad street. This might not have been a problem had our 17th. floor room been located exactly opposite the lifts with a fire door right outside. A lot of coming and going, and noise throughout the night. Now even this might have been bearable had it not been for the closer on the fire door being broken such that instead of closing slowly and quietly, this massive fireproof door slammed heavily back into the frame every time someone passed through - at 5 minute intervals throughout the night. A call to reception at about 2:00 AM brought no relief. At 3:00 AM we gave up, checked out, and headed home.

In fairness to the hotel, they readily agreed a full refund. It only took another 4 weeks dealing with a sullenly unhelpful Expedia to actually get our money back.

The hotel should note that a faulty door closer is a major safety problem - the heavy door can easily slam shut on a person's hand and cause serious injury.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear RichardMer

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay due to other guests within the hotel.
I am pleased the team agreed to refund your stay immediately, however I cannot comment on third party agents like Expedia.
We had reported the door to the company that maintains the door shutters to have this repaired. Due to the nature of the door we cannot wedge it open; this breaks all health and safety laws.
I do apologise again that this disturbed your nights sleep.
Kindest Regards

Chris Trow
Deputy General Manager
Chris.trow@hbhbroadstreet.com

Reviewed 27 June 2014

My only complaint about this Hotel is how hot the rooms get but it is not a biggie , staff are amazingly friendly and cheerful and honestly could not fault anything else about the Hotel itself.
However we did book 3 nights and after 1 night we had to leave to come home very quickly due to a family matter, my Husband in our rush to get packed etc and get home forgot he had his Mobile phone on charge and we left without it. We didn't realise until we got home and phoned to ask if we could pay for postage and packaging and it to be sent on and were told it wasn't a problem they would forward it to us .. Great or so we thought! The Charger arrived today, it was sent in an ordinary paper envelope that had a see through window , the see through window had a giant hole in it and there was no phone, so we not only lost the money we paid for 3 nights (no complaint or fault of the Hotel at all) but we have now lost his phone, to send a charger and Mobile phone in a paper envelope is really reckless but hey I suppose us leaving it are to blame :-(

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Diane K

I am sorry to hear that you had a family emergency and had to rush away from the hotel, I hope everything is okay now.

In regards to the charger sent in the post, I would like to discuss this further with you. Please email me.

donnell.grandison@hbhbroadstreet.com