“Convenient for LG Arena and excellent service”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ranked #51 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stayed overnight to attend concert at LG Arena, hotel is within 5 minutes walking distance. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful throughout. The room was adequate, a few cobwebs around the curtains and litter behind the bed but the bathroom was clean as were the beds, which were also very comfortable. The sound proofing in the rooms was very good, could not hear planes despite the close proximity of the airport and also no noise from other rooms. Would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that overlooks the lake.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
KateHughes, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel.

Its great to hear you enjoyed your stay with special attention to our customer service and convenience of our hotel.
It is greatly ideal for the LG arena and the NEC, but not only do we want our guests to come and stay with us for convenience and location but also as you mentioned our friendly team and service which we have delivered.

Thank you again.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

Fab hotel but slow service. On check out i found that drinks i'd not had had been added to my room. Guilty until proved innocent by the receptionist, who produced two seperate receipts for my room with two different signatures and asked if they were mine ..... Neither were my name never mind signatures

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank julie m
KateHughes, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for passing on your feedback through our Trip Advisor website.

Its great to hear you found our hotel fab, however I believe you came across a difficulty on check out.
Unfortunately we do have to check any queries with our guests bills with the information and back up we have got- this includes collecting our signed bills from food and beverage to cross check. In no way do we want you to feel guilty, we just need to check so we can investigate into where the mistake happened and how.

Il look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed here on 14th October for a sales confeance. The conference room we had our meeting was well equipt and the right size for the number of delegates in our party (40 people). The staff at the plaza ensured that when had a break there was plenty of tea, coffee, biscuits and pastries for us, which went down well. We had a Buffett lunch in the restraunt, and no complaints about the food at all. Check in was quick as well considering we all had to check in at roughly the same time. The room was nice, modern and clean. Also thought the welcoming chocolates, bottled water were a nice touch. Also on the pillow were 2 small bottles of solution to help you sleep' never seen this in any hotel before and though it was a really nice touch. Now my first gripe about this hotel is Internet costs, I do know how hotels like this get away with charging for Internet usage. I think it was £5 for an hours use. We had a 3 course in one of the private rooms at night, which was once again very nice. After dinner the night was spent in the hotel bar, the bar area is large and spacious, and overlooks the hotels garden and grounds, which are very scenic. My only other gripe about this hotel was getting woke up at around 8.30am by the cleaner coming into my room!!! Wasn't impressed at al!! Breakfast was once again really nice and there was a good selection of English and continental food available. All in all a quality hotel, with friendly staff and set in really scenic grounds. Also as it is located within 5 minutes of the NEC I would bet it would be ideal if you were going to an Event there. Parking i think was around £10.00 for 24 hours which if you are staying for an event at the NEC seems cocompany very kindly paid for everything.

1  Thank Holmezzi

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your conference and nights stay with us.

Its great to hear everything went well from your conference to your check out. I will make sure I pass on all your compliments to the team who interacted with you that day and throughout your stay.

Thank you again for your positive comments.

Looking forward to welcoming you back with us again soon whether it be another successful meeting or an overnight stay.

Reviewed 22 October 2011

The service was unacceptable from the point that I checked in. The person checking me in appeared disinterested. After prolonged discussion about how I might spell my name, she was able to find my reservation. I was asked to authorise £50 on my debit card to cover any incidentals. I have no problem with this. However, when she passed the terminal to me the amount was around £430. When I questioned this I was told there was a problem with the system. She was not able to amend this, but I was told that this was not going to be a problem and that she would sort me out as a credit rather than a cash customer. This seemed a little inept, but with a willingness to try to help out.

I later ordered room service. When it turned up, I was asked to pay in cash, as I had apparently not left a card swipe. I explained the hassle at check in and that It was sorted for me to be a credit customer by the helpful receptionist. This was apparently good enough as an explanation, the food was left, and it was reasonable.

I thought little more of this and went to bed. I was woken up by a phone call from reception as I had not paid for my room service. I explained the above and asked whether it was really essential to settle immediately (I was booked in for the next two nights). The aggressive impatient caller from reception insisted that it did need sorting immediately. I later learned that rather than simply taking payment for the £20 I had spend she took payment (NOT pre-authorisation) for £50.

For the next couple of days I managed no interaction at all with the staff and the hotel seemed quite pleasant. Alas, I on check-out I had to step once more into the lions den.

When I tried checking out (a simple process in other hotels) I learned of the £50 payment that had been taken. And I learned that they wanted to refund me £20, as their records showed I had spent 30. This was not true, and after a brief discussion, I was able to demonstrate this. I was then asked to pay the £20 again (now £70 paid for the room service) and I was told that it was for some reason not possible to refund the £50 as there was a problem with the system. I was told that they could not check me out, and close my account because of this problem. They arranged to refund the outstanding £50 and send me a receipt. This process took about 20 mins.

The member of hotel staff checking me out was the first person I spoke with over the three days who seemed interested in recognising there was a problem and trying to solve it. Other staff seemed to tread customers with a bland disregard.

I will avoid this place in future, I do not like this kind of hassle. I would not recommend it to anyone. A shame really as it is a nice enough building in a reasonable location. For staff to wake a guest up to mis-apply charges to their card is exceptionally poor service.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike F

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments in reference to your stay last weekend.

Firstly let me apologise for the problems you faced on check in, we had a particularly busy weekend which was found challenging by the Front Office team. I do apologise for the confusion on check in with a credit card authorisation, please be aware I am investigating into this issue and as to what happened also with check out as well.
I can confirm a copy of your invoice has been posted out to you.

Despite these issues I do hope you will come back to our hotel again and let us show you what the Crowne Plaza NEC experience should be like.

Thank you for your feedback. Please be assured all relevant departments have been made aware of the problems you faced so they can be rectified.

Reviewed 21 October 2011

Nice well appointed rooms as you would expect - no executive room level though. Easy walk to the NEC

1  Thank Slipstream222

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your post on our Trip Advisor page.

You are correct in saying we dont have an executive level but we class our lake view rooms as our best rooms in the hotel which are on every floor from the 2nd level, obviously along with our suites.
If you would like one of these for next time please ask on reception for their availability, there is a supplement charge for our suites, unless you are a gold or platinum priority club member who have the benefit of this for free of charge!

I will pass on your praises about our room cleanliness to our housekeeping and maintenance teams to compliment.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

Second time stayed here both for concerts at the LG Arena (Rihanna last Saturday) as before all good, even ordered room service this time as running late checking in and this was delivered quickly and in time for us to still make the start of the concert (food was perfectly adequate too)

Room is decent size, little touchs like chocs and water, tea, coffee etc appreciated too

Breakfast is excellent, buffet style but everything you could ask for and no wait even when very busy as was on Sunday morning

Only recommendation is to try and book ASAP when you know you want to stay as last time we paid around £70 for the night incl breakfast as booked about 6 months in advance, this time was a last minute booking and was over £160 for the same deal :(

1  Thank Nick T
KateHughes, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us hear about your Crowne Plaza Birmingham NEC experience!
Rhianna did bring alot of guests to our hotel last weekend and it was a busy time for us, but after speaking with many of our guests they really enjoyed their weekend, and so it seems you did too!
Its also fantastic to hear it was your 2nd time with us, maybe we will see you again for the concerts throughout November and December?!

Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 16 October 2011

We stayed here last night,for one night,as we were seeing Rihanna at the LG Arena and had suffered horrendous problems in the past trying to get off the car parks after shows there,so even though we only live 12 miles away it meant a very late and tiring end to the evening.
So....this was a little treat,and so it proved to be.The hotel is very swish and modern throughout with all the appointments one would expect from the brand.The Pendigo bar is particularly comfortable and stylish,and as we were going over to the arena quite early,we decided to eat there instead of the restaurant which didn't open till a little later.Service was friendly and our meals arrived promptly and were very nice indeed.
Our double room was comfortable and relaxing.I've had bigger rooms for the same cost,but it had everything you could want and was very clean and fresh looking.Same for the bathroom in both regards.....not too spacious but pristine and everything that you need in a bathroom.
Plus points would be complimentary bottled water and chocolates at the bedside and a very handy make-up mirror on an extendable attatchment in the bathroom,which could be swivelled and adjusted for perfect viewing (must try and get one for at home!)
Niggles would be the bed wasn't very comfortable,mattress far too soft and it sort of slanted in a strange way,causing the two of us to roll into one another each time we turned or moved.Also,it the room wasn't too warm on arrival and we turned up the heating when we went out so that it would be cosy on our return,especially as we knew we had a walk outside from the arena back to the hotel ( only 10 minutes,but we hadn't wanted to take coats with us to the show) However,when we got back,the room was quite chilly and the heating obviously hadn't been on for hours.My husband soon sussed why. . . . you have to put your swipe card into a slot on the wall to get the electricity connected.....when we went out and took our roomcard with us,the power was cut off.I can understand that this stops power wastage by preventing lamps/TV's etc being left on whilst the occupants are out,but what about returning on a winter's night to a cold room? Also,when we put the heating on again,the small hot air grid, very high up on the wall,was quite ineffectual and took hours to take the chill off.

Buffet style breakfast was served in the downstairs restaurant and it was one of the better breakfasts we have experienced of this type.A myriad choice of cereals,fresh fruits,pastries and very nicely cooked hot selection.The individual Cumberland sausages were particularly tasty and the room was bright,spacious and very pleasing.

But all in all,a very pleasant hotel which provides a real treat and is on the doorstep for events at the arena or exhibition hall.We have concluded that we will definitely stay there again next time we are attending a show 'next door'.Friendly and helpful staff and efficient check in/out.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jillymoo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed post about us here at the Crowne Plaza NEC.
It was a busy weekend for us last week with Rhianna and a lot of our guests stayed for the concert as we are in such a good location for it.
Its great to hear you thought of us so highly, we received many a great comment about our guests stay at the weekend which is so rewarding for the team.

I have passed your comments on to our housekeeping and maintenance team about the room problems, which will be rectified.
There are more concerts coming to Birmingham for November and December this year so please think of us for your next concert visit.
I will look forward to seeing you stay with us again soon!

Front Office Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#31 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!