Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
US$73
US$70
Priceline
1,877 results
All reviewslake viewpillow spraygenting arenaresorts worldshuttle bustrouser pressreception staffcar parkbusiness hotelbuilding workclose to the airportgood nights sleepfollowing morningstayed here for one nightbreakfast was excellentnight's sleepfull english
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Three of us came here to attend a show at the NEC - the location is superb with the arena in walking distance from the NEC and the free airport shuttle. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Our room had a loarge double bed and also a pull out sofa bed - this was poor as the mattress was extremely thin and all the springs could be felt poking through - we asked at reception if they could help with this and although the hotel was fully booked, they did provide two extra mattress toppers which made it all more comfortable!
Breakfast was fine, with the usual hot and cold buffet available.
We had hoped to use the airport shuttle on the way home but were told that it was inavailable, and had in fact been out of use all week. The staff member dealing with this was a bit defensive when asked why they were advertising the service if it isn't in fact working, which was a little unpleasant.
Interestingly the shuttle service was suddenly available later the same day and so we were able to avail of it - this was quick and handy.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
KateHughes, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for you recent review.

I am please to hear that you found the hotel to your liking and the staff friendly.

I do apologise that the sofa bed was uncomfortable, but am glad we managed to resolve this for you with mattress toppers. I will make the Housekeeping manager aware of this.

With regards to the shuttle bus it is subject to availabilty, I will speak to the Front Office to ensure that this is relayed to guests in the correct manner.

Many Thanks for great feedback

Reviewed 27 November 2011

stayed at this hotel when going to see chilli peppers at the lg arena. We booked two rooms, one for each couple. On arrival the reception desk was very busy with people checking in and out but the staff seemed to be coping very well and were all very polite. Both the rooms we booked were extremely clean and of a reasonable size as was the bathroom. There were nice bottles of water and little chocolates on the side as well as the usual tea/coffee facilities. The little bottles of toiletries in the bathroom were a nice touch also! Although my husband was more impressed with the tv and sky sports in the room!!!

We were really surprised by the breakfast on offer when we went down in the morning. There was lots of choice hot and cold with fresh tea and coffee served at the table by friendly helpful staff. All the hot food was freshly cooked and had staff constantly filling and tidying the serverys!

I can't imagine that there is a more convenient hotel for the lg arena. I thought the ten pound car park fee was quite reasonable with spaces available even on this busy weekend.

We will def return if in that area again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank karen r

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your fantastic feedback.

It is great to hear how pleased you were with your current stay, staff and service. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your breakfast and that your husband was pleased with our new TVs.

Look forward to welcoming you back

Many Thanks

Reviewed 23 November 2011

We booked this Hotel as an undercover deal, overnight stay + 8 nights parking for only £59. What a bargain. We use the Crown Plaza chain at both Birmingham and Manchester Airports and find them to be top notch. Check in was easy, the room very comfortable and spotless with a lovely bathroom with complimentary toiletries.We ate in the restaurant and found the food to be very well cooked with a good choice. The staff were very friendly and we enjoyed some light hearted banter. We had a comfortable relaxing night prior to our week in Egypt. We consider the Airport Hotel stay to be day 1 of our holiday and we weren't disappointed.
The only minor downside was the Airport transfer bus was out of action but a taxi was booked for us with no problem.
We will continue to enjoy Crown Plaza Hotels when on our next holiday.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charlieismedarlin
KateHughes, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2011

Dear Guest

Thankyou so much for such a positive it is great to recieve such feedback.

I am glad that you found the staff and service to your liking and that you found the bedrooms so good.

I do apologise for the shuttle bus being out of service, this is subject to availabilty but glad it didnt cause any problems to your stay.

Many Thanks again

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Firstly, this hotel is brilliant for the LG Arena. You can walk there in 2 minutes.

Room - We had 'The Lennon Suite'. This room was very small for a suite. It was adequate and served its purpose but in terms of a suite I'm not really convinced. We did have a huge balcony attached and the views were great, it also had a wooden picnic table on it which I thought rather strange! The bathroom was nice, again small, but adequate for a shower etc and the lovely toiletries were a nice touch.
On the down side - The cleanliness of the room was not good. When we arrived we noticed 2 screwed up chocolate wrappers in plain sight by the table, not really what you expect from a 4 star hotel. Secondly, the pillowcases on the bed were all inside out. This may seem petty but personally when I am paying a lot for a room I don't expect to have to make the bed myself, which I did! Finally, the balcony was very dirty. There was an empty cigarette packet and a variety of cigarette ends strewn accross the floor and the ashtray on the bench was also overflowing. This really is unacceptable in a hotel that is supposed to be 4 star.

Food - We ate in the restaurant on an early doors menu(before 6.30 on a concert evening). It was £20 each for a 3 course meal. The menu had just 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts. In particular the mains was either a salad, braised pork or pancetta ravioli. I found it add the the only option was pork or a salad - not very multi-cultural. I had the ravioli and my partner had the braised pork. He really enjoyed it. Mine was ok but tasted like sausage stuffing. It was a strange experience and not something I would eat again. I was suprised that we were not offered a full price menu with other options, just the specials menu. However, service and staff were good. On the whole I don't think we would eat there again. However room service was good. After the concert we ordered a burger and chips and it was a decent burger, which arrived quickly.

Staff on reception are nice, polite and chatty and I found it nice to have a real conversation about the concert with someone who seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say rather than making small talk.

Parking is £10 per 24 hours which is steep when you are paying a lot for the room but it would prob cost more to get to another hotel after a concert or pay for parking just for a gig.

Overall, I would stay in this hotel again but mainly because of its closeness to the Arena, I dont think I would go there for a weekend break etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your review and your feedback - it is much appreciated.

Its nice to hear that you were happy with the staff and service you recieved.

With regards to your room, although there is little we can do about the size of the suite, I do apologise about the cleaniliness. This is not to our company standard and I will ensure that the Housekeeping Manager is made aware of this review, and the necessary training is carried out.

Many Thanks for your feedback

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed here when attending Top Gear Live at the NEC in 2010 & 2011.

The hotel is in a perfect location for the halls at the NEC being less than 10 minutes walk away. Accomodation is exactly as to be expected from this brand and lives up to the expectation. Food from the bar is of a good standard and breakfast is great too. Remember if buying the voucher for breakfast kids eat free, the reception staff needed reminding of this when I was checking in and would have charged me for my son.

Only downside is that on both occasions there has been a fire evacuation, most likely due to someone smoking in the hotel which whilst not the hotels fault is extremely frustrating. Organisation on the evacuation was poor on my most recent stay with a lack of control from hotel staff.....

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SteveS1971

Dear Guest

Thankyou very much for posting your review.

I am delighted that you found the location, accomodation and food to your liking. Its great to hear that we live up to the brand and met your expectations.

With regards to the fire alarm thankyou for making us aware, guest and staff safety is of high importance so I will ensure that all staff are retrained on evacuation procedures.

Many Thanks