“Not An Airport Hotel”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ranked #47 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I'm a loyalty card holder for Holiday Inn and so it's unusual for me to rate one of their group hotels so lowly. The main reason is that my family and I booked the hotel, via the Holiday Inn website, as a park & stay package before going on to Birmingham Airport for our flight. The web site indicates that a complementary airport shuttle is available on request, which it was for our trip to the airport despite being told the night before we needed to book (and pay for) a taxi. We had to pay £1 for the shuttle to cover the cost of the drop-off car park at the airport, otherwise this was fine.

However, the driver informed us that the shuttle doesn't operate after 9:30pm and that as our flight was due to land at 11:30pm we would have to get a taxi back to the hotel. He gave us the number of their recommended taxi firm and although I wasn't happy that the 'complementary' shuttle wasn't available I wasn't about to let it spoil our trip before we'd even flown.

In reality, by the time we'd got our bags etc after a 5 and 3/4 hour flight it was almost half past midnight, we were tired and we couldn't be bothered to order and wait for a private hire cab and instead tried to get into one of the waiting black cabs. The drivers wouldn't take us. It was too short a trip for them (about 2 miles) and they would lose their place in the taxi rank queue for too little revenue.

This was the final straw and we decided the 3 hour drive home wasn't that appealing anyway, so decided to leave the car another night and checked in to the Ibis Hotel which is opposite the terminal exit. Refreshed after a good night sleep in a very basic but quiet and comfortable room we tried to call the Crown Plaza shuttle the next morning to take us to collect the car in the hotel car park. No joy. We were told that the driver had gone home sick. Only when I prompted them with the question what were we to do to collect our car did they offer to order a cab for us. This came within 15 minutes and cost £6 to take us to the hotel to collect the car. Not a great deal but not a complementary shuttle either...

As such, my conclusion is that the Crown Plaza is set up more to serve the NEC than the airport, so stay somewhere else if you're looking for park and stay at Birmingham. The Ibis was nice and very convenient and cheaper too. The Crown Plaza rooms were very noisy (lift mechanism and generators on the roof of the kitchens below our window) and there was a large rat running backwards and forwards across the patio whilst we ate breakfast.

I'm not going to change my view on Holiday Inn - normally you know what to expect and this was a one off... But don't use it as an airport hotel - it isn't.

So, we're stood in the rain at

Room Tip: Don't expect an airport shuttle if you're flying before 6am or after 9.30pm
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Dear Guest

Firstly may I thankyou for spending the time to write this review.

As a priority club member we do value your loyalty to our hotel chain.

I am concerned about your thoughts on our shuttle service. Our website clearly states that we do operate a complimentary shuttle service to the Airport and Birmingham International station, between the hours of 6am and 10pm. We do not operate a 24hr service, unfortunately it looks like your flight times were outside these hours. On these occasions outside these operating hours we do recommend guests do make their own travel arrangements. Our shuttle bus is operational always between these hours, unless staff sickness occurs for which we cannot prepare for.

Many Thanks for your review

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed one night this weekend after watching a show at the LG Arena. Excellent location for this as it is just a 2 minute walk from the hotel lobby to the entrance of the arena. Staff in all parts of the hotel were friendly and helpful. Food in the restaurant was very good, although a little expensive, but the kids ate free from the kids menu so that balanced out the cost. Breakfast was very nice too. Room was comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your review.

I am delighted that you found our hotel staff very friendly and helpful and I will ensure that all teams get to hear this great feedback.

I am glad you enjoyed the food in the hotel and I assure you the head chef will receive your compliments.

Look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 8 April 2012

It's all about expectation isn't it? A cheap and cheerful hotel that goes above and beyond is always going to be a nicer experience than a fancy hotel that doesn't. So Crowne Plaza is obviously a big international chain, why so bad? Maybe I'm being skeptical, but is it the fact they have a captive corporate audience they think they can jack the prices up willy nilly? Ludicrous bar and restaurant prices - more (or at least) equal to what you'd pay in a top London restaurant. And nearly £16 quid to get on line?? How dare you. The rooms are fine, and the food is actually OK but i felt after I'd left that I'd been robbed in broad daylight. And that's not a nice feeling. STOP CHARGING FOR WIFI and stop pretending you're a Michelin star restaurant (in price) You aren't. I also get the feeling they don't give a hoot because people who visit the NEC are going to have to stay there. Grrrrrrrrr

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank campbellgoodall

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback.

I am sorry to hear your thoughts on our hotel prices, I assure you we take all reviews seriously and will be ensuring our management team are made aware of your feelings.

We do value our guests opinions, however we feel our food and beverage prices are competitive with most hotels of our standard and brand status. Our internet charges are also competitive with most international hotel chains and our major competitors.

I do again assure you your comments will be taken seriously and thankyou for spending your time to write your review.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my family. Booked two twin rooms but were given double rooms on arrival despite booking 6 months in advance! Reception advised the hotel was fully booked and they were not able to change the rooms despite me showing them my booking confirmation in writing which clearly stated twin rooms.
On our final day we ordered lunch which was extremely overpriced. Hamburger with a topping was just shy of £15! We were asked to pay for the 4 meals and a standard 10% service charge upfront! Less than 10mins of being seated and long before we had received any food or service! We were outraged. Never before in a 4*hotel have I been asked to pay for a service charge or meal before I receive it. There was no compromise even after speaking to the restaurant manager and explaining we were residents and had been for the last 3 nights. Terrible terrible service! We checked out immediately and will never return.
The only reason I rate 2 stars rather than none is that the Rooms were clean and the shuttle bus service to the airport was good. As regular visitors to Birmingham we won't return.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review - I really do appreciate you spending the time to write this review as it is important to see what we are doing wrong as well and right. We take all feedback seriously.

I do apologise about the fact you did not receive the correct room type on check in. When making reservations we do our best to accommodate all room requests however when the hotel is fully booked it sometimes is hard, as we only have limited twin rooms. From time to time we do have change them but to rooms that still occupy the number of guests booked.

I assure you the food and beverage manager will made aware of this review. Although our prices are competitive with that of hotels of our brand, you should not have been made to settle your bill prior to receiving the food especially with the discretionary service charge. I will ensure some training gets done on this issue.

I do hope you do use us again so that we can show you our true service experience.

Thankyou very much again for this very helpful feedback.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

Excellent service - Very prompt collection from airport to hotel. Overnight stay very comfortable and pleasant. Could not recieve movie package in our room, although this was only explained on 3rd call to reception, was offered to move - declined as already in nightware.
Overall great service and amazing beds. Very comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your review - its very pleasing to have such a positive review.

I am delighted you had such a good service experience and a great nights sleep that we aim to achieve through our sleep advantage programme.

I assure you I will pass all your comments on and the hotel teams to ensure they will get to hear this great feedback.

We will look forward to welcoming you back.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed at the Crown Plaza for one night as we were attending a show the following day. All in all very pleasant, restaurant expensive but delicious, would recommend the New Zealand wine! Comfy night sleep-not too noisey. Super breakfast. Only fault was the Reception, very slow to check and not very efficient. Did not agree so the Sevice Charge that was added to every purchase.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Many Thanks for your Trip Advisor Review

I am delighted you had a pleasant stay with us and I will pass your compliments on to the relevant departments.

As Front Office Manager I am concerned that you found the Front Office team not very efficient - I take this very seriously and will be doing some more training with the team.

You feedback helps us to continue to work towards great hotels that guests love.

Clare Broadhurst

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed here for 1 night to visit the NEC. I have stayed here once before and throughly enjoyed it then and was delighted with my return visit. Excellent hotel, great faciliites. Very friendly and helpful staff in all areas. Great decor, and spotlessly clean. Bed absolutely huge (never seen one so big!) and very comfortable. My husband has never slept in so late and that's a real thumbs up. Ate in the bar at the night as we arrived late on, very tasty and satisfying, but as in all hotels quite expensive for food and drink but to be expected and not disapointed in any way. Great location and a pleasant walk to NEC. Charge for parking ok really as we were able to leave our car in the car park of the hotel while we attended show, and really close to entrance to NEC. Breakfast very good, great choice and hot.

Room Tip: Our room looked out over the car park, so not great view but very, quiet. We didn't go for the v...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Dear Guest

Many Thanks for spending the time to write such a positive review about the hotel.

I am delighted you had a good experience with us and that you found our staff very helpful and friendly. I will ensure that your comments get passed on to all our teams.

I am glad that you and your husband had a great nights sleep with us - we aim to achieve this as part of our sleep advantage program.

For your next stay with us we do have rooms overlooking the lake - so please do speak to our in house reservation team and they will ensure these are allocated for you.

Look forward to seeing you again at the hotel

Many Thanks

Clare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
#30 of 118 in Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!