“Great for the LG arena”

Ranked #44 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Bordon, United Kingdom
“Great for the LG arena”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My wife and stayed here in order to walk to the LG arena to see Westlife. On arrival we were greeted by a nice receptionist and went to our room. This was very nice and clean. We were told that the restaurant was not open that night (Sunday) but we could book a table in the bar, which we did. The fridge in the room could not be opened and when we told the hotel they said it would be fixed on Monday as there was a tech fault. I decided to have a beer and got 4 bottles of bud sent to the room. This cost me four pound a bottle and £3.50 tray charge. It was explained to me that the mini bar was empty any way and you have to order your drinks for them to stock it !!!! This is room service in my book. I complained to the staff who agreed it was not ideal and paid for a drink for my wife and I in the bar.The meal in the bar was fine when they got it right. We were given some ones meal first. Breakfast was a comic act, we ordered and they got that all wrong. The lady said the chef got confused, but we were the only two people in the room! I was in a good mood all weekend luckily for the staff as the food fiasco was really annoying me. When we had dinner on the first night there was a reserved table set up, but they sat us at another table. When we told them we had reserved the table for 7.30pm, they said you cant and can sit any where, very confusing. The menu was also confusing. You could have a three course meal for £25 each off one menu, but there were two and the staff did not really understand how it worked out. This is not a bad hotel all in all, the staff need to get it right and it may be a training issue. As usual for a hotel it was very expensive. Westlife was fantastic though, lucky for the Plaza Hotel !!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DeacsHampshire
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Many Thanks for your review and I am delighted to see that overall you had a good stay with us, and found the location for the LG very convienient.

I would like to assure you you comments have been taking on board regarding the food and beverage areas and we will be implementing some more training with our food service teams.

Clare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Indonesian first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I recently completed a stay for 2 nights over the bank holiday weekend. I had booked the hotel as surprise for my wife for our anniversary. I think it's fair to say we didn't have the best possible starts as the walk way from the rear of the hotel was heavily littered with excrement from the birds (we were later assured this would be seen to). We were checked in efficiently and the overall quality of the room was very good indeed, albeit smaller in size than comparable Crowne Plaza's in my experience, e.g Heathrow. But perfectly adequate for 2 people. However we were disappointed with the cleanliness of the room due to dust etc and with a few other issues. However, I personally met with the duty manager, Clare Broadhurst to discuss my concerns. She was extremely helpful and understanding and addressed each of our points thoroughly to our satisfaction. She listened to what I had to say and went out of her way to make our stay as comfortable as possible for the duration. She even left us a complimentary bottle of wine in our room after she had arranged for it to be re-cleaned and freshened, which we thought was a lovely gesture. She is genuinely a credit to the hotel and I was extremely impressed with her service and professionalism. Something I don't say lightly let me assure you!

We did encounter a problem with our shower on the second night, but again this was rectified swiftly despite it being late at night by giving us an upgraded room, which was fantastic and very appreciated. No hotel is perfect, but the way in which a hotel and its people handle problems goes to show its true calibre. And I would say it was here that this hotel excelled and demonstrated their quality.

The staff were at all times very helpful, polite and courteous (especially Rami) and this made our stay a pleasant and memorable one despite the problems we encountered. The breakfast service was excellent and the quality of the food high. I would stay here again and definitely recommend it to others!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KSARO
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for such a positive review on the manner in which I dealt with the problems you experienced. It is lovely to here such feedback. I will ensure that Rami gets this feedback also.

I would like to once again apologise for the problems you encountered and glad that I could resolve them for you.

Look forward to you return and hopefully it will be a much better experience for you.

Many Thanks

Exeter, UK
Reviewed 31 May 2012 via mobile

Grat location next to the NEC for a conference we were attending. Lovely location, you wouldn't think you were on the motorway with all the water, greenery and wildlife that was there.

Very friendly and attentive staff from the moment you got there, nothing was too much trouble. My only negative comments are.....room air on not great, yes we arrived in a heat wave but without exception everyone was talking about it not working properly and the difference in service from fabulous at breakfast to very slow in the evening when we went for a meal in the evening at the restaurant and the place was virtually empty.

Did it mar the stay, no, would I go back...yes.

Great place to stay for a conference visit.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank nurse1898
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 6 June 2012

Many Thanks for your review

I am delighted that you had a good stay with us recently and you found our staff and facilities to your liking. We do our utmost to meet the needs and expectations of all our guests.

I have taken on board your comments about the air conditioning and we are looking into this as a management team.

Look forward to welcoming you back

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

A good quality hotel and very close to the NEC and LG arena - a couple of minutes walk. The weather was hot and the room was very warm, even with the aircon working. This wasn't too much of a problem as we were only staying 1 night. I felt the room could have done with a refresh in terms of decoration, that said it was clean.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and breakfast was nice for buffet style.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room overlooking the lake if I stayed again.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review.

I am glad to see that you had good stay with us, we are an ideal location for those visiting the NEC and LG arena. It is good to hear that our staff are providing good customer service levels -being very friendly and helpful.

I am sorry to hear about the air conditioning in your room - although you state it wasn't too much of an inconvenience we would have happily changed your room had we been made aware.

Thanks again for your review.

Sweden
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I spend four days on business at the Birmingham NEC, so picked the Crowne Plaza as it was one of the nearby hotels.
I was really impressed with this hotel. There is not a single thing that I could find fault with - I was very pleased with everything! The staff was extremely nice and helpful - the reception staff, the staff in the restaurant, the cleaning guy. The room was excellent, spacious, and had a good desk were I could work in the evenings. The bathroom was large, elegant, everything worked including a good shower.
The room was very quiet, no disturbances at all. Good temperature.
The bed was firm and I slept very well.
Wireless Internet access was available at a fee - I paid GBP 30 for three days. Worked well.
The breakfast was the standard full English buffet with all you could ask for. I didn't have time in the mornings to examine any options, so I had the buffet which was good enough. The staff were attentive enough, I got my pot of tea served timely.
Checkin and checkout was fast and efficient. The day of checkout I left for the airport at 04:30 in the morning, and the hotel had ordered a taxi for me which was there right on time.
The location is very good if you need a hotel near the airport and above all near the NEC. It was a pleasant five-minute walk to the NEC (you left the hotel through the restaurant), on a footpath in a park beside a small lake.
As I worked long days at the NEC I didn't have time to visit any other parts of Birmingham, so I cannot say anything about communications into central Birmingham.
I had my evening meals in the hotel restaurant, and the food was good with just enough variety. The staff was cheerful and gave good service. I liked the layout of the restaurant - there was a large bar, where you could ponder over the menu and possibly something to drink, and then take a seat at a table. There were a selection of ordinary tables, tables with sofas places in small groups, so you could find any type of seating which would fit you as a single guest or as a group. Really liked that it was not just a uniform collection of tables with chairs.
If I visit Birmingham again I would really like to stay at the Crowne Plaza again. It was just perfect in every way.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank sebofo
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for such a positive review on our hotel.

I am delighted that you had a enjoyable experience with us and found our facilities and services to your liking.

It is our aim to meet our guest expectations and this feedback will be relayed to the management team.

It is lovely to see our staff doing such a great job and delivering the customer service levels that create a great hotel.

Look forward to your return

Wirral
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed here whilst on conference at NEC. It's a smart looking hotel that is in the NEC grounds, so it's handy to get to the exhibition car parks.
The room was well appointed with all the usual inc tea/coffee making facilities and complimentary water.
Wifi is £5 for 24 hrs car park £10 overnight.

• Stayed May 2012
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 25 May 2012

Many Thanks for your review

I am glad you had an pleasant service experience with us and hope you use us again when in the area.

The hotel is in an ideal location for those visiting the NEC and LG arena as we are literally a 5 minute walk away.

Priors Hardwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012 via mobile

Quick overnighter having flown into Birmingham en route to Devon. I'll always remember this hotel if only for it was the night Chelsea won the Champions League final!
Mystery hotel so it cost £50 for the night, so suits the hotel for occupancy and me for price! Great for the airport & NEC, Only one MAJOR gripe, that they charge for wi-fi and I find this gross. For sure I am beginning to make free wi-fi a condition of booking. We should all campaign to have free wi-fi in all hotels! Or avoid

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank John E
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your review - I am glad to hear that you had a good stay with us.

I am sorry to hear you found the wifi expensive - although I understand your views the prices are very competitive with 4 star hotel brands, but I will pass this feedback on to our General Manager.

Hopefully you will use us again when next in the area

Clare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Genting Hotel
#5 of 117 in Birmingham
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#25 of 117 in Birmingham
Ladywood
Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!