“Great location for NEC, otherwise standard conference hotel”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ranked #44 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Great location for NEC, otherwise standard conference hotel”
Reviewed 11 October 2012

If you are attending the NEC this is obviously a very convenient place to stay. The hotel is clean, staff are polite and the rooms pleasant and more than adequate for a short stay. This place is not cheap however and I would not consider it great value for money. There is little atmosphere and I would consider it a straight forward conference hotel.

We ate in the main restaurant which had a reasonble menu the food was somewhat unimaginitive and not what I would expect for the price the only bright spot was a good red wine for £22 !

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Chesterdoggerel
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay. As mentioned we are in a great location for anyone attending events at the NEC or the LG Arena. I am pleased to hear that during your stay you found the staff to be polite and that your room was well presented.
I am sorry to hear that you found the food to be unimaginative and I shall passing your comments on to the Head Chef as we do take on board any commnets from our guests.
Regarding the hotel prices, we do feel that our prices are competitive with other hotels of our standard within the local area.
I do hope that you choose to stay with us again in the future.
Clare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Indonesian first
Northamptonshire
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We were extremely pleased with this hotel, lovely clean and spacious rooms. Very comfortable. Staff friendly and helpful and had a smashing meal in the restaurant (not too expensive either). The only down side was the airport shuttle which was supposed to start running at 6.00am. We arrived at 5.55am to be told that this had been replaced by taxis as wasn't running on that day. Even though we told the receptionist the day before that we would need the shuttle at 6.00am, a taxi had not been ordered for us (party of 4 with 4 large cases). We then waited 35 minutes and ended up going to the airport in 2 separate taxis and just had time to wolf down a very quick breakfast before our flight. When we returned and phoned the hotel for the shuttle, we were once again told that it was not running (8.00 am) and that a taxi would be sent. We only waited about 15 mins for this though. I wonder if the shuttle actually exists? Overall, I would definitely stay here again as the hotel is so comfortable and convenient but now that I am aware of the problems with the shuttle I can make allowances for it when I have to travel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay.
I am glad that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and that your was comfortable and well presented. I shall pass your 'compliments to the Chef ' regarding your dining experience.
May i take this opportunity to apologise for what appears to be a mis-communication regarding the hotel shuttle service, and for the delay in getting you to the airport, I will be looking into this further.
I hope that you choose to stay with us again in the future.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Ideal setting for NEC, basic but quiet. Restaurant v quiet considering full hotel on Saturday night. 3 meals ordered- 2 returned: my granddaughter ordered pizza- 2 slices arrived - still frozen. Replaced with 2 more slices - burned! I ordered crab salad: unimaginative and poorly prepared and )inedible due to amount of shell mixed with meat. I reordered chicken salad- again a mountain of lettuce with some asparagus and croutons- no imagination and boringly forgettable: the champagne we ordered arrived unchilled:
Restaurant Staff were polite but I suspect quite used to returning food to the kitchen and offered us a free diet coke for inconvenience! The kitchen staff certainly need retraining and let the hotel down. The bar upstairs was packed and suspect its the poor reputation of the restaurant which left it with so many empty tables on a very busy Saturday night at a location with few alternative eateries within walking distance.
Hotel receptionist miserable and supercilious - if she hates job that much she should do everyone a favour and look for alternate employment . Luckily other 2 reception staff were v pleasant and compensated for her apathy.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking lake: restaurant good for breakfast but certainly look for alternatives i...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to leave your comments following your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that your experience with us was not to our ususal Crowne Plaza standard. I shall be forwarding your comments regarding your meals onto our Head Chef to look into. I am glad that the Restaurant were polite and empathetic during your meal, and I hope they assisted you as best they could in this circumstance.
I am very disappointed with the comment regarding one of the Reception team, and can only apologise for this downfall in service standard. I shall be looking into this further.
I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza in the future.
rotherham south yorkshire
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We got a great deal with Secret hotels , we used the hotel parking scheme and stayed in the hotel for one night before our early flight ... On arrival the reception staff were kind , helpful and very courteous ... The room was very nice and the bed comfortable ... we didnt eat at the hotel so we cant comment on the food .
On our arrival back to BHX we were told to ring a number we had been given and a courtesy vehicle would pick us up and take us back to the hotel at the cost of £1 from the airport per person... I rang and was informed that the courtesy vehicle was not running but they would arrange a taxi to pick us up at no cost at all !!! The taxi was waiting for us outside ... Now thats what i call good service... Well done to this hotel chain and the lovely staff .

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback following your recent stay with us.
We do offer some great Park, Stay & Fly deals and I'm glad to hear that this suited your needs. I am pleased that the Reception team were helpful & couteous in arranging your transport., and that you found your room to be comfortable .
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Birmingham NEC in the future.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Booked and paid for a room at £240 three months ago. On check in the receptionist quite cheerfully told us they didn't have any available rooms and it is their policy to overbook. Got farmed out to a hotel 30 minutes away, not much use when we had to be back at the NEC for 5am the next morning.

Our plan was to return to the hotel for breakfast at 9am, catch up on some sleep before their check out at 12pm. This was not possible.

A complete farce, if we'd wanted the inconvenience of staying 30 minutes away we would have booked that hotel in the first place for a much better rate. The room we were given was much inferior to the one booked at the Crowne Plaza.

Disgusting service when the room was fully paid for months ago.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
I am sorry that your experience of Crowne Plaza Birmingham NEC was not what you expected and that this affected your plans. Overbooking does happen very rarely and we do try our best to accommodate our guests at a hotel of a similar standard to ourselves. I can only apologise that in this instance this does not appear to have been the case, however I do hope that the staff made all the arrangements quickly & efficiently for you.
I do hope that this does not deter you from choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham NEC in the future.
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments as we appreciate all feedback from our guests.
Nottingham
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Picked up a super bargain on a quick one week trip to the States through Holiday Extras 'Secret Hotel'. Only five minutes from the airport. Used shuttle to the airport and they provided a taxi back to pick up our car.Nice clean rooms and helpful staff.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback following your recent stay.
I am pleased to hear that you found our staff to be helpful, and that you utilised the hotel shuttle service.
I will pass your compliments on to the Housekeeping team regarding the cleanliness of your room.
I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Decent conference hotel with the NEC just a short walk away. Room was decent and the bed was very comfy. Breakfast was the usual buffet with a reasonable choice of hot & cold food. My only concern would be that a number of rooms seemed to have been double booked so on arrival some guests (though thankfully not us!) were then switched to alternative hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm glad you found the room to be of a decent standard and the bed to be comfy.
As you said we are in an ideal location for anyone attending events at the NEC/LG Arena as we are a 5 minute walk around the lake.
I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Clare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Genting Hotel
#5 of 117 in Birmingham
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#23 of 117 in Birmingham
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 117 in Birmingham
Ladywood
No photo provided

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!