“what can i say”

Ranked #44 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Canterbury
“what can i say”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Pros: Very clean hotel
Cons: Check in time is 2pm, we eventually got our room at 5pm, because it hadn't been cleaned. It wasn't just us either, there were more people waiting for rooms as well. We sat in the bar and waited 20 minutes to be served and then the barman had to go down to the basement to get a bottle opener.(same again on the 2nd day). I ordered a desert after having a meal in the bar and after half an hour asked where it was, to be told by the waitress,she'd forgotten to order it.
Overall I'd say lack of staff, extremely bad communication and organisation. We took a walk to the Hilton, which is 5minutes away and totally different, they couldn't have been more on the ball.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 20 October 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
I would like to apologise for your room not being ready upon your arrival and that you had to wait for quite some time for this to be rectified.
I am also sorry for the service you received in the Bar, and I can assure that this is not our usual level of service. We take all feedback seriously so I shall be forwarding your comments on to our Food & Beverage manager for review.
I do hope that you give us the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Clare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Indonesian first
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This hotel couldn't do enough to help us. We stayed prior to our holiday and parked the car for 16 days. We had free transport to the airport and were picked up efficiently. We also had transport to the train station so that we could spend the day at Birmingham's Bull Ring. We were also collected from the station as well. The staff are friendly, helpful and courteous at all times. The room was clean andwell presented and the bathroom was spotless. Will definitely book there again in the future.

1 Thank Cheryl R
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive feedback following your recent stay with us.
It is always pleasing to hear from guests who have enjoyed their stay and will be returning to us in the future.
I am glad that you found the staff to be helpful and accommodating and that you utilised our shuttle service.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We booked this hotel as a hotel stay and park via Holiday Extras for a 1 night stay with 2 weeks parking. We originally booked the executive lounge at Birmingham Airport and received an email weeks later offering an extra 10% off their hotel/car park deals. We found this hotel dressed up as a Mystery Hotel - but cleverly if you look at the reviews, they all tell you its the Crown Plaza. This deal was a steal at just over £60 with the discount!

Can't fault this hotel, bed was comfy. No concerns with the room whatsoever. Didn't eat at the hotel as we met up with family for the evening and visited the Wetherspoons in Airport for breakfast. Our shuttle to the Airport was a Merc private hire cab. However my only complaint - and this is not the hotel's fault - is it's not exactly walk-able at 3am! Birmingham International Station locks its doors to the NEC/LG Arena and thus the short walk then turns to a long one. What's annoying is that its all signposted walkable "hotels" but yet you find the doors for the bridge locked. Not the hotel's fault but if management read this, I think this should be looked into. Pointless walking signs for hotels you can only access during the day.

2 Thank bb0118
ClareBroadhurst, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for such positive feedback following your recent stay with us.
I am glad that you utilised one of our excellent Park, Stay and Fly deals and that you found your room to be comfortable. I am sorry that you had to take a longer walk around the NEC to get back to the hotel, and I shall certainly look into this.
I hope that you choose to stay with us again the future.
Reviewed 14 October 2012

If this was a school report it would have the words "Must Try Harder" written in it.
We used the hotel as part of the stay, park and go thing that this hotel offers, check in was simple and quick and as my husband and I were heading out on Honeymoon this was a great start to the trip. The room was comfortable, spacious and clean.
While checking in the gent said the shuttle we would need for the airport would be there at 6am and then proceeded to tell us breakfast times before acknowledging we would have left well before this time and wouldnt be eating breakfast.
We headed down to the bar for a couple of drinks and dinner to be told to take a seat and someone would be over to take our order, this was a good 30 mins after we'd been seated. We found this very odd as there were a group of people who were being served at the bar at this time but waited as we didnt fancy driving into Birmingham to get dinner when we had the facilities already here.
The food wasnt bad and was hot, the woman who served us did apologise for the wait in taking the order and for the time it took for the food to come out. It appeared the hotel was busy and there were not enough members of staff to cope.
We came down a little earlier than 6am ready for the shuttle to be told this would actually be a taxi to take us to the airport. Another couple were also waiting and took the first taxi, we were then told at 6.05am that the taxi hadnt been booked but they had now done this and the taxi would be here shortly. A further 25 mins later the taxi arrived however we were disgusted that the manager on duty or the receptionists (There were 2 to choose from) hadnt come over in this time to apologise or advise what was happening, and shouted across the reception to advise the taxi that had pulled up was ours!!!!
Once at the airport the taxi driver gave us our luggage and then asked us for the fee, this was a shock to us as we were advised it would be the hotel paying for this and advised him of this. I assume he then went back to get his fee.
On our return we called the hotel as instructed by the leaflet that was given to us, and had to then be put through to someone else to then organise the pick up in the shuttle. The shuttle driver was extremely nice, polite and helpful and it was a shame he wasnt able to run from 6am as advertised. All in all we wont be using this service again, the staff could do with some customer service training and the hotel should actually run the services they advertise. Lots of improvements to be made here!!!!!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay. I do hope you enjoyed your honeymoon.
Firstly, I'm glad that Check-in was smooth, and that the room was comfortable.
Moving on to the shuttle service, I can only apologise for the delay in arranging your transport, and that information was not given to you in the correct manner. This is something I would like to look into further. I am pleased to hear that the driver on your return journey was polite and courteous. Our hotel shuttle does run subject to availability, which is why we run the complimentary taxis in the absence of the shuttle.
Regarding your experience in the Bar. Again I can only apologise for the wait, but I am happy to hear that the food was delivered to a good quality and that the staff were aware of the delay and apologised.
I am sorry that this experience with us has left you feeling less that satisfied, and I hope that you choose to stay with us again the future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

stayed at crown plaza the night before flying from birmingham airport. The rooms were very comfortable and we had a good nights sleep. Staff were very friendly. There seemed to be alot more buisines people staying than tourists.
It was very convenient to leave the car here for two weeks and the shuttle bus to the airport was very efficient and the driver was very helpfull.
On our return, we phoned hotel for the pick up and the shuttle was waiting as we came out, so we didnt even have to wait for it.
We have already booked to stay here when we are attending a concert at the l g arena in a couple of weels.

Room Tip: any room is good
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank for such a positive review. It's great to hear from guests who have enjoyed their stay and booked to come and stay again.
I am pleased to hear that you found the staff to be friendly, and the rooms to be comfortable. Our Park, Stay & Fly deals make going on holiday so much easier. it's also great to know that you found the shuttle service to be efficient and that the driver was helpful.
We look forward to welcoming you back in a few weeks.
BIRMINGHAM
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Lovely hotel smaller than a neighbouring hotel so I found the service so much better. Restaurant good with plenty of choice. Pity the bar doesn't do cocktails.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback following your recent stay. I'm glad that you found our service levels to be of a high standard, and that you found the Restaurant to have a plentiful menu selection and that you enjoyed your dining experience.
I will certainly pass your comments onto the Bar team regarding cocktails for them to look into.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza again the future.
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

If you are attending the NEC this is obviously a very convenient place to stay. The hotel is clean, staff are polite and the rooms pleasant and more than adequate for a short stay. This place is not cheap however and I would not consider it great value for money. There is little atmosphere and I would consider it a straight forward conference hotel.

We ate in the main restaurant which had a reasonble menu the food was somewhat unimaginitive and not what I would expect for the price the only bright spot was a good red wine for £22 !

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Chesterdoggerel
Dear Guest,
Thank you taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay. As mentioned we are in a great location for anyone attending events at the NEC or the LG Arena. I am pleased to hear that during your stay you found the staff to be polite and that your room was well presented.
I am sorry to hear that you found the food to be unimaginative and I shall passing your comments on to the Head Chef as we do take on board any commnets from our guests.
Regarding the hotel prices, we do feel that our prices are competitive with other hotels of our standard within the local area.
I do hope that you choose to stay with us again in the future.
Clare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Genting Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#23 of 118 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,302 reviews

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!