“Overpriced and going downhill !!!”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ranked #52 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I stayed at the hotel last night as I saw beyonce at the lg arena which is perfect. I last stayed in this hotel 2 years ago as I was attending another concert at the lg. I had no complaints . This time however was quite a let down. No prob at check in. Got to the room to have a look about , quite fancied a coffee. Managed to find the tea/ coffee facilities in the cupboard . The cups were dirty and obviously not been changed . Luckily the cleaner was busy cleaning next door so she changed these for us . This morning using the bathroom we noticed that the floor was soaked with water . Quite a large leak underneath the sink . Toilet was on the wonk and could do with someone redoing the mastic around it . Large crack in a tile . My sister said the room was quite dusty generally . Went to breakfast , cold coffee which we had to exchange . Small side plate had what looked like residule broccoli on it . We did get our breakfast taken off the final bill which we were pleased with ( 12.50) bit pricey I think for cereal and toast ( and cold coffee) . On our departure , a lady in the car in front was having trouble exiting the car park . Her paid ticket wasn't working. Her daughter then proceeded to go back in to get the barrier working. The lady came over to apologise for the wait. She explained she also had to complain about dirty room and no towels . So it seems it isn't just me that had problems ! If I come back to Birmingham to see any event at the lg , might try the Hilton next time .

• Stayed: April 2013
David S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Dear Kayceybell1,

thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that you have not fully enjoyed your stay with us and that you encountered a few issues.

I am appalled to hear that your room was not up to standard and also that breakfast was not as delightful as it should be.
Please be assured that I take this feedback very seriously and I will be reviewing the points raised and make sure to improve the service provided.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

David

Write a ReviewReviews (1,817)

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Stayed last night, the location is perfect for the LG Arena where Beyonce was performing!

The staff were excellent, the food and drinks were expensive but of good quality, especially the breakfast scrambled egg!

Only two negative points: The Wifi should be free for a upmarket hotel and the bedroom carpet had not been hoovered!

Putting those points aside, the hotel is overall is good place to stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear andyrh46,

thank you very much for taking the time and leaving us feedback regarding your recent stay.

It is very good to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff was excellent and that you enjoyed the food.
Thank you as well for the comments regarding the wifi charges and the carpet in the bedroom. We will be looking into these issues to make sure that we improve the service provided.

I do hope to welcome you again to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night whilst attending an event at the LG arena and the location could not have been any better, just a two minute walk the the arena's door.
When we first arrived our room was not ready even though we arrived after the check in time, however we were offered a free soft drink in the bar area while we waited which was nice. After not too long we were told that we could now check in. Rooms were reasonable sized and well presented. Cleanliness was to an excellent standard. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant because we felt it was a bit over priced however we did have breakfast and that was good, plenty of choice and all nice and hot, although buffet brekfasts are not my favourite this was perfectly acceptable.
Thoughout our stay all the staff were very polite, helpful and friendly.

I would definately stay here again for any events at the LG and NEC and would not hestitate to reccomend it to friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear sarahjayne_wright ,

thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the room, the breakfast and that your staff was friendly and helpful.

I hope to welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Stayed here after seeing Pink! Wasn't expecting to stay overnight but it happened.....the bar staff we amazing even at midnight when we were quite merry and the late check out of 2pm was greatly appreciated! Excellent shower to wake me up and when I saw all the staff in onesies I thought I was drunk again! Haha! Fab hotel deff recommend if seeing a concert etc x x Trey

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
David S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

Dear Trey,

thank you very much for your positive review.

I am very happy to hear that you had a great stay with us. I am pleased to hear that the bar staff was brilliant and that you enjoyed your morning with a lie in and a hot shower.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel on business and had an enjoyable stay. I was on the 5th floor. The bed was very comfortable and a pleasure to crash into after a hard days work! I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast, which was a buffet style and included crispy hash browns (my favourite!)
It was a 10 minute walk to the NEC each morning around the lake.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
David S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Dear Smem18,

thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we were convenient located for your business needs.
I am pleased that you had a good night's sleep and enjoyed our breakfast the next morning.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again soon to the hotel.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

I can't believe this is a so called 4 star hotel. This is a poor value for money accommodation. The only real advantage of booking this abode is the close proximity to the Birmingham NEC/LG Arena, train station and airport. I wouldn't say the staff at the hotel seem particularly interested in your stay. On arrival I wasn't given any information regarding the facilities and restaurant or anything really, just given the room key and number. Later at night when I requested takeaway menus and they said they didn't have any wouldn't recommend any fast food outlets probably as they wanted you to purchase their food instead. You can order takeaways, which I did without their help. The breakfast is way too expensive for what you get, £17.50 on the day without a voucher and £ 12.50 if you book on arrival with a voucher that you are given. I wasn't happy that the internet access is not free. It is ridiculously over priced. I paid £100 for one night on 20 April for WWE wrestling. I feel sorry for other people paying more. Next time I think I will stay else where. The furniture looked tatty and dated in the room. One of the lamps didn't work and the mini-bar was out of use. Some excuse about wrong temperature given. I can commend some of the room facilities, nice 32 inch LCD tv, trouser press, good quality toiletries and tea and coffee samples, Iron and ironing board and bath robes. The bed is not good quality and feels well used. The pillows also feel very cheep and not premium. I have stayed in many premier inns, which are much better. There is also some signs room of room neglect with cracks in the paint work on the ceiling and dust on one of the lamps. I think a fair price for the room/bed should be £50-60 at the current standard.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
David S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Dear David C,

thank you for taking the time and posting a review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your room and the service not up to the standard of a Crowne Plaza.
We are aiming to provide excellent customer service to our guests and want our guest to feel comfortable and fully enjoy their stay.

We truly value your feedback as it gives us the opportunity of improving what we offer. We will address all your points immediately and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

The crowne plaza is a 4* hotel with stunning views across the lake pendigo and is ideal if your going to the lg arena as its only a 10 minute walk. If your looking to go into birmingham itself its about 15-20 drive away or by taxi it will cost around £17. Rooms are a decent size and are clean and fresh with a modern design. Nice lounge/ bar area with a restsutant downstairs. Staff are friendly and helpful. Breskfast choices have a wide range and caterss for all. I would recommend this hotel to eveyone. :-)

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Rae C,

thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am very pleased that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and that you like our bar and breakfast and also find our staff helpful.

I do hope to welcome you again to the hotel in the near future.

David

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#36 of 118 in Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!