“Milked like a cow”

Ranked #44 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
lincoln, uk
“Milked like a cow”
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

Just checked out of the hotel having had a good stay to discover a £16 charge for wifi and £10 charge for parking! What the..... That's so cheeky. When I challenged it I was told by a lovely lady on reception that she agreed but could do nothing about it. Great location for the NIA, but prepare to be milked like a cow!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pauldwhyte
David S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear pauldwhyte,

thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you had a good stay with us. I fully understand the concerns regarding the wifi and car parking charges, however, our hotel is in line with any other properties on the NEC complex .
Why not book a Concert Package next time you are staying with us, the package includes a 3 course meal, overnight accommodation, Full English and Continental Breakfast and car parking? Just give our in house reservations team a call

I do hope that you will stay with us again in the future and I am looking forward to welcoming you back.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for Kings of Leon concert at LG arena. Very nice hotel with very polite and efficient staff. Sat outside having a drink (or two) before the concert. We had a bite to eat from the bar menu - it was ok although the spicy curry was very mild and the fries were limp, cold and soggy. Rooms very nice and quite spacious with bottled water, biscuits and chocs. The walk to the LG arena took us 2 mins along by the lake - I am sure it would only take 5 mins to the NEC. Breakfast was good with the normal breakfast items. We would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Mcoengland,

thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay with us.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay when going to the concert and that we were conveniently located for your needs.

We do hope to welcome you again to the hotel when you are next in the area.

Kind regards,

Mumbai, India
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Booked into this Hotel by the organizers of a trade show I represent in India. The location is perfect if you have work at the NEC. Check in and out were handled professionally (read unemotionally) which is quite OK as it is more of a business hotel. I am the one to enjoy the journey and much as the destination and must particularly mention the walk from the Hotel via the foot path embracing the Pedingo lake is most lovely. I found this very relaxing especially after a hard days work and being a bit home sick (in spite of the freezing temperature and gusty winds). The breakfast served was adequate and the staff nice. Also had a dinner one of the nights which was quite OK.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
David S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear Vagabondanil,

thank you very much for your positive review on your stay with us in February.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay while attending the trade show at the NEC and that the walk to our hotel made you feel more relaxed.

I do hope that you will stay with us again in future when working at shows at the NEC.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed on business as working at an exhibition at the NEC - location great therefore. Happy enough with the hotel for business use, particularly as others around the NEC are pretty poor. Good things are: very comfy bed, great shower, clean room, good breakfast, nice bar meal. Bad things are the details: not enough check in staff on checkin and checkout (the manager came out to help with quick checkout but glad I didn't checkout using that as my bill was wrong with a phone charge and newspaper charge added - this took a while to sort out correctly); seriously ridiculous wifi charges (when are hotels going to realise that mobile roaming provides the same service generally - I am not going to pay £10 for 1 hour of continuous use of wifi, I want to dip in and dip out of using wifi); need to remember to take voucher down to breakfast.
I would stay again if working at the NEC but would find somewhere else otherwise.

1 Thank Ellough
David S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Dear Ellough,

thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed the bed, the shower, the breakfast and the bar meal with us and that you are happy for using the hotel for business purposes.

Thank you for the feedback regarding the Internet prices. We will be passing the comments on to our head office so that they can review these.

I do hope to welcome you again to the hotel in the future.

Bradford
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is a good location for the NEC or eastern Birmingham. There is not much in the vicinity of this hotel if you fancy eating out for example. After much searching I was struggling to find anything. Eventually found a Toby Carvery quite close which I think is pretty much the only option, so google that if you have the same problem!

There is plenty of parking but it is an extra £10/night. When I nipped out after checking in staff were helpful and quickly sorted me a free token to get out.

This is a good standard mid range hotel. A comfy nights sleep with no real outstanding quality, but just decent enough.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
David S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Dear Paul-and-Marie,

thank you for your time in providing feedback about your stay.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in July.

I do hope that you will stay with us again when you are in the area.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

First time at a Crowne Plaza hotel. My room was well furnished with a comfy bed and a bath/ shower that was spot on too. Breakfast was above average and the staff were very attentive. I cannot understand the need to charge £10 a day for parking and £25 for 2 days WiFi access. So beware of the hidden costs.

Room Tip: Try to get to the back of the hotel.
Dear Dabren1963,

thank you for your positive review of your stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff attentive.

I do hope that you will come back in the near future and enjoy another night in our hotel.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect if you are going to the LG arena as I was, but apart from that it was a massive disappointment. I paid £109 for 1 nights stay with no breakfast or evening meal included. The room was average size and the furnishings looked really tired. There were holes in the bedding, the lighting was old and scruffy and there were areas where paint had chipped off. We had the carvery as our evening meal which cost £25 per person and to be honest I have eaten better food at a motorway service station. The room was clean and quiet but was just not worth the amount we paid. If the price had been £40 lower or if there had been breakfast included I would definitely give it a higher rating but for the price, this hotel is poor.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Rick19651,

thank you for your feedback.

I am very sorry that you felt your stay with us was a disappointment and that you did not get the service that you would expect of a Crowne Plaza.
We are aiming at providing excellent customer service and value for money to all of our guests and please accept my sincere apologies if your room and the food were not up to standard during your stay.

I do hope that you will give us a try again when you are in the area and I am looking forward seeing you soon again at the hotel.

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Novotel Birmingham Airport
Novotel Birmingham Airport
#24 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC? Share your experiences!